The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Delan's" Supra story and project

fullrespect

Hi all,

recently I have bought Toyota Supra MK4 from 1997, 2JZ-GTE, Stock Twin Turbo, Stock 6 Speed Manual Getrag V160.

I hope this was great investment, because fun of driving this beast, is even bigger than i expected :)

---- EDIT ---

Topic update

Edited by fullrespect
Topic Updated as it turned out to be a buying and build story (see edit history)

Hi, Welcome! where in Leicester are you? if you ever need any parts or maintenance etc give me a shout. there are quite a few in Leicester now

Let me know where is your garage, that will work out better for me.

To all, are you able to tell me if that was a good purchase: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-3-0-TWIN-TURBO-1997-/223428549498?nma=true&si=0JnycX8XR%252B%252Bx%252BIIbP61Rcuwt%252Bno%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This price includes as well:

Full mot

First Registration in UK

Rear fog light conversion

Anti rust treatment

Full stone chip protection underneath

Full oil service

4 new tyres

Front seat drivers back to original

Ceramic Paint protection

General cosmetic work to bring it back to better visual condition

Edited by fullrespect (see edit history)

Hi, my business address:

Extreme performance

Unit 7 oak and ash business park

Ash street

Leicester

Le50da

Tel:07769975299 or office 01162531233

Price I’d say is on the higher end currently..... I would look closer at the front end though as it looks like it may have ‘possibly’ been damaged before? The pass side headlight bracket looks glued on, wrong bolts and clips on the bonnet catches and front panel etc. Have you got any more pictures of the engine bay?

Let me know where is your garage, that will work out better for me.

To all, are you able to tell me if that was a good purchase: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-3-0-TWIN-TURBO-1997-/223428549498?nma=true&si=0JnycX8XR%252B%252Bx%252BIIbP61Rcuwt%252Bno%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This price includes as well:

Full mot

First Registration in UK

Rear fog light conversion

Anti rust treatment

Full stone chip protection underneath

Full oil service

4 new tyres

Front seat drivers back to original

Ceramic Paint protection

General cosmetic work to bring it back to better visual condition

4904D5F9-EF89-49ED-AC4C-7CFE60B3F62E.png

Hi all, thanks for warm welcome here. I will post more videos and pictures when I upload them to Google photos. The idea of meet up Leicester supra's sound great for me. Also I wish we may sometimes rent a track and race properly.

What's your experience in racing? Mine only in gran turismo sport on ps4 with proper steering wheel set up.

Actually driving honda accord make 8, with 2.4 petrol engine. So the Supra will bring to my life a lot of lessons and learning to drive it properly.

Are there any racing drivers schools?

HERE IS MORE PICTURES an videos from the works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxLvCeUn3JLY8ktN7

(yes, the car is still with the seller as he is making it beauty for me :)

Thanks

Edited by fullrespect
Picture link added (see edit history)

That looks very tidy, but I'd certainly refer to Keron's comments above and seriously recommend you get him to review this car with you prior to purchase, even if it costs you some money. He's an absolute expert when it comes to reviewing crash damage and potential poor repair. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate before spending so much hard earned cash.

There's some rare and valuable parts on it though (I think that's a TRD type2 rear wing, not personally a fan but some like it), TRD strut brace and a very expensive air filter (Which won't do anything apart from extra whoosing noise :D ). I'm not too far from Leicester so count me in for any meet up!

I've done a few track days in my Supra's so as always I'd start with the tyre's, suspension and brakes to make the most of any track action. You already have the larger stock setup on your car which is much more than capable so that's a great start. Some race or semi-race competition pads will help you on track but full race ones will be a detriment for day to day driving.

Hi Homer,

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate before spending so much hard earned cash.

Little to late now, as deposit taken. But from i can see - how transparent the seller is, i think there is not much to worry about. (Anyway, I wish i knew about this forum before I went to view the car)

I've done a few track days in my Supra's so as always I'd start with the tyre's, suspension and brakes to make the most of any track action.

The track days :) yes, i will love to go few times, do you have any recommendation which track is best, considering price to value you get.

Also, just so you're aware, it's one of the weird cross-over models from '97. Facelift exterior, facelift interior, non-VVTi models. That's not a bad thing as such but you should be aware it's not a proper facelift car.

thanks for the advice !!

Also, just so you're aware, it's one of the weird cross-over models from '97. Facelift exterior, facelift interior, non-VVTi models. That's not a bad thing as such but you should be aware it's not a proper facelift car.

Er it is a proper facelift, just an early one hence it's got a non vvti engine (arguably not a bad thing at all). There was simply a time between the facelifts starting and the VVTi engine being introduced?

Er it is a proper facelift, just an early one hence it's got a non vvti engine (arguably not a bad thing at all). There was simply a time between the facelifts starting and the VVTi engine being introduced?

Thanks for the info Scooter ! I am glad this is proper facelift :)

As far as i researched, the non VVTi engines are easier to mod and cheaper as well, the VVTi does not introduce many benefits so i am happy what i have :)

In the meantime, guys working on the beast :) and recently received a video how they installed the fog light + replaced the engine oil :)

Fog Light - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNc8kpn3PFyCoZMuMAa93kbWAUng34swelKdk4kJdfDWGgMhsnyFy9U_Z2zGcnctg/photo/AF1QipOyMzuRUWIDjreg6QNrNnbqMZvFPwg01zY-7K8T?key=dUN1UGc1eU1sZkxsSm1ZZWd0amVObjdUeHFOaHV3

Engine Oilhttps://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMY62dNnxQMY7kh7Ji4vlnEFHK5WWBSbe8zHYt1iqcuiXawKXWZpLVd_s61oaF4OQ/photo/AF1QipOI_G0uXhi-Sph4NPYOzUKel00i7sE8SwAvqoKu?key=ckEwdFQwU1pwQjNzWnhWRUJZT1Uya3V6bGpHQlFB

What i like with this seller, that they document all, even such a simple task like oil change.

HERE IS MORE PICTURES an videos from the works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxLvCeUn3JLY8ktN7

(yes, the car is still with the seller as he is making it beauty for me :)

Thanks

If I was you I'd get in contact with Littlenum (James Hart) at Performance@Hart, and have a chat with him about an under body restoration/tidy up, and some fresh protection underneath the car mate.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?347614-Performance-Hart

If I was you I'd get in contact with Littlenum (James Hart) at Performance@Hart, and have a chat with him about an under body restoration/tidy up, and some fresh protection underneath the car mate.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?347614-Performance-Hart

Thanks for the advice !

This will be next stage of the car preparation for me.

The Seller will do full clean up underneath then put two layers: rust protection + stone chip protection, on the body will be ceramic protection too. That's included in the price anyway. He said that the care will be released to my hands - like new :)

Thanks for the advice !

This will be next stage of the car preparation for me.

The Seller will do full clean up underneath then put two layers: rust protection + stone chip protection, on the body will be ceramic protection too. That's included in the price anyway. He said that the care will be released to my hands - like new :)

It's your car, and by all means do as you wish :) But my advice is don't do that. To do a proper job you have to remove everything, you wouldn't believe some of the nasties you find and come to light when you dig deeper on these cars now due to age.

I've seen a few cars now go in for restoration that have previously had a layer of stone chip/underseal plastered on, and it all has to come off, always revealing what's hidden and sealed in underneath, and the cost to clean all the previous stuff off.

As I said my advice is to get a full proper job done be someone who has experience at doing it, that's if you intend to keep the car for a long time, as it's a big investment, but well worth it in the long run :thumbs:

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

Agree with Burna and pointless doing it any other way, and for the future if you come to sell

it i'd want it documented whats been done with before during and after photos etc

I've walked away from cars because there's no proof its been done correctly

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Burna - really appreciate your advice ! Noted !

I am sure this chap knows what he is doing as he runs this business for 25 years already and i have been there, seen like cars are taken apart to do proper cleanup. He must do the job properly, on his one place (he has like half a milion worth cars there) this does not come from improperly done work (I hope LOL )

At the moment i just can't wait to put my hands on this beast !

By the way, do you have any recommendations regarding securing the car ? I will keep it behind a gate, but GPS tracker will be there for sure anyway. Do you have any experience ? which one to choose ? I know this will make a massive impact on insurance costs too.

Burna - really appreciate your advice !

Unless it is done like this - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?343109-Burna-s-UK-Spec-Restoration then he is wasting your time and his money. Make sure you get photos of the work he is doing because if he is like most of the importers the car will get a cursory covering of black to make it all look nice whilst trapping debris, rust and water close to the bodywork.

It's a fresh import that looks to have minimal rust underneath, I think it would look good after a nice jet wash/clean up.

I too might be tempted to not do the coatings (especially if he'll knock something off the price?) straight away. The winter salt has gone (down south at least) and you could look to get it done in the summer when it's bone dry?

But overall it looks good to me, sticker on the cam cover should be the cambelt, so can check that.

VVTi is meant to give a bit more low down, but I would say the potential throttle problems out weigh that for me and so I'd be happy with the pre vvti you have.

Re security I often remove a EFI fuse if I'm away, but don't worry (perhaps I should!) too much about it otherwise, I also only have lowly auto's that no one wants!!!

If I had a 6 speed these days I would paranoid about where I took it for work, as much as the risk of it being taken.

If I had a 6 speed these days I would paranoid about where I took it for work, as much as the risk of it being taken.

Now you scared me ! I will be kipping my gem behind a solid gate, so hopefully will get good deal on insurance, and, not many people will find out it's there...

• fullrespect changed the title to "Delan's" Supra story and project