The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Delan's" Supra story and project

fullrespect

The track days :) yes, i will love to go few times, do you have any recommendation which track is best, considering price to value you get

Not so far from you is Bedford Aerodrome. It's a huge track that will really allow you to test not only the straight line power of the car but also the brakes and cornering. It's a great track that's really well suited to a GT car. Let a pro driver drive your car, you will be amazed what it can do. I've been there a dozen times with various conditions and it always confirms I'm the weakest link in the car :D It's got very safe run off and not a lot to hit so is a great track to actually learn how to drive fast and to do it safely. No noisy exhausts though... I always had to stick a bung in my one.

Er it is a proper facelift, just an early one hence it's got a non vvti engine (arguably not a bad thing at all). There was simply a time between the facelifts starting and the VVTi engine being introduced?

Agreed Scooter, my bad :thumbs: Also agreed that the non-VVTi package might be an advantage (Less complex) and it could still come with the V160 & large case diff (and associated drivetrain), some facelift models still had the older stronger components, some not. The VIN plate will confirm this.

Hi all,

thanks for lots of details !

Can somebody explain that "small case diff" ?

Thanks !

Hi and welcome.

There were two OEM options for differential on the manual TT mkiv Supra

Small case differential / A03B

& Big case differential / B03B

I believe small case diff was standard and big case was an optional extra.

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

i decided to continue this topic despite the original car from the first post is no longer mine.

I have sourced another example with TorqueGT and it is already in UK 🙂

I am talking about this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ktwgYkp8CHC1Sm5p8

The car has BPU done - I am actually excited about that!

As the car was imported - obviously will need a bit of attention:

I have been told that the exhaust needs to be welded or replaced. What are the best exhausts for MK4 these days?

TorqueGT can fit this HKS Hi Power Racing Exhaust System.  is it a good choice? 

Timing Belt needs replacing - any recommendations where to source it from or maybe simply ask Toyota dealer ?

Plan for the next few years (apart from the standard servicing):

1. Suspension check, repaint all the elements.
  2. Big Brakes conversion
  3. The wheels - will be looking to change them as they are not to my taste.
  4. Seats - full leather trim

I am happy to read any ideas you may have. Any advice very welcome! And have a nice day!

3 hours ago, fullrespect said:

Hi All,

i decided to continue this topic despite the original car from the first post is no longer mine.

I have sourced another example with TorqueGT and it is already in UK 🙂

I am talking about this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ktwgYkp8CHC1Sm5p8

The car has BPU done - I am actually excited about that!

As the car was imported - obviously will need a bit of attention:

I have been told that the exhaust needs to be welded or replaced. What are the best exhausts for MK4 these days?

TorqueGT can fit this HKS Hi Power Racing Exhaust System.  is it a good choice? 

Timing Belt needs replacing - any recommendations where to source it from or maybe simply ask Toyota dealer ?

Plan for the next few years (apart from the standard servicing):

1. Suspension check, repaint all the elements.
  2. Big Brakes conversion
  3. The wheels - will be looking to change them as they are not to my taste.
  4. Seats - full leather trim

I am happy to read any ideas you may have. Any advice very welcome! And have a nice day!

Hi, I'm not sure about the exhaust (I haven't changed either of the ones that came on mine and they are both unbranded), but I'm sure someone can chime in to help on that, but HKS is always highly rated.   

For the timing belt etc. I'd go to Keron as he's cheaper (and more helpful) than the local Toyota dealer.

If you don't have any record of the water pump and crank pulley being changed in the car's lifetime/recently, I'd do this at the same time along with the timing belt idler, tensioner and accessory drive belt. Naturally, if the water pump is being done, I'd advise changing the coolant, thermostat and radiator hoses (including the one at the back of the head!) too. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

i am back after a long wait. Since we won the auction in July 2021, my supra finally arrived at my house 🙂 on Monday the 17th January 2022.

Here she is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jCpjU6k63uDWuRyh7

I must say, that Torque GT did outstanding job and i am thankful for their service! Very pleased!

The car is in very good shape and condition in general. On a warmed up engine compression oscillates around 150 - 155 psi. This example is waaaay better than the previous one i had from unfair trader. By the way, if you ever approach to purchase a Supra with REG: P399 DEP - stay away or make sure you do your own full inspection by a professional. This car is after crash so bear that in mind.

Back to the topic:

Obviously my new Supra needs some maintenance so will start from this:

On 10/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, m12aak said:

If you don't have any record of the water pump and crank pulley being changed in the car's lifetime/recently, I'd do this at the same time along with the timing belt idler, tensioner and accessory drive belt. Naturally, if the water pump is being done, I'd advise changing the coolant, thermostat and radiator hoses (including the one at the back of the head!) too. 

Thanks for the advice @m12aak will for sure check and replace! And i will for sure use @keron's garage to do that!

Brakes and brake discs needs replacing - and i would be glad to read your recommendations on that! (from what i recognize the callipers are stock)

Also, i have changed my mind about the rims, they are quite nice when you see them in real so they will stay, just needs restoring.

That's it for now because i only had it for 5 days and very limited time to do some checks by self. Probably this weekend will allow me to mess a bit more 🙂

Have a great weekend to all!

Thanks!

IMG_9786.jpg

IMG_9789.jpg

Edited by fullrespect (see edit history)
  • Like 3

No worries mate 🙂, as above, that looks lovely.

Brakes wise, I don't think you can go wrong with some OEM/OE spec discs (like Blueprint etc.) and some pads to suit whatever you're after, to begin with. Keron would also be able to advise/sort that for you too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you guys! Really pleased with this example!

I am going to drop my Supra at Keron's garage to do the right things for start as you all advised!

Timing Belt change and all the surrounding and necessary parts will be done soon!

I have also changed tyres on the front for Michelin Pilot Sport 4. The rear tyres left as they were because i cannot resist burning them from time to time...

In the meantime i have cleaned clippers because i have noticed that the car does not want to move when i stop and release the brakes while on a little hill.

Next thing will be to do rear suspension, i can hear some knocking noises, but this needs to be checked (MOT already pointed out this thing)

It is BPU but there is still catalysator existent - do you recommend to go for straight pipes?

Thanks again and have a great week!

Edited by fullrespect (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fullrespect said:

Thanks to all of you guys! Really pleased with this example!

I am going to drop my Supra at Keron's garage to do the right things for start as you all advised!

Timing Belt change and all the surrounding and necessary parts will be done soon!

I have also changed tyres on the front for Michelin Pilot Sport 4. The rear tyres left as they were because i cannot resist burning them from time to time...

In the meantime i have cleaned clippers because i have noticed that the car does not want to move when i stop and release the brakes while on a little hill.

Next thing will be to do rear suspension, i can hear some knocking noises, but this needs to be checked (MOT already pointed out this thing)

It is BPU but there is still catalysator existent - do you recommend to go for straight pipes?

Thanks again and have a great week!

If you want to go full bpu, yes, you'll need to decat it. Remember to keep the cats though as you may need to put them back in each MOT if you haven't got a friendly MOT tester.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

Been a while since i posted here...

I started to do jobs on my supra and replaced as advised.

Timing belt + idler, water pump, thermostat, crank pulley, auxiliary belt - all genuine toyota parts, and all at Extreme Performance done by@keron

He also inspected the car throughout and said it is a general good condition. 

Next up, there is a BPU in place but not done properly and some parts are missing, perhaps they removed them in Japan when the car have gone to an auction.

So i will be fitting a decat pipes and i think i have made my mind up to use https://www.tbdevelopments.com/ their system is made in 316L Marine grade stainless steel, tig welded, it looks amazing anyway: https://www.tbdevelopments.com/products/first-decat?variant=30210371747923

Brake callipers needs attention as they are binding on the front. 

Front brake discs will be replaced when the issue is sorted.

I am also missing a FCD - looks like it was there before the auction sale, greedy Japanese guys removed it to save some pennies or YEN... LOL

The driver seat is tiny, again the Jap guy was really small or just chocked anything to save on YENs. In fact now i am in a need to buy a decent front seats and i have no idea what to put in, especially that i wish to have the genuine Toyota seats, but they are like unicorns these days... I wish you could give me some recommendations. I can consider anything 

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-10 at 16.13.35.jpeg

• Like 1

• fullrespect changed the title to "Delan's" Supra story and project