Thread: OEM Subwoofer Bose Mod

I'm a newbie Club Member
    Feedback

OEM Subwoofer Bose Mod

Hi

I just like to share my mod of the OEM woofer box.

First, remove the old vintage stuff and check the dimensions:
    IMG_2146.jpgIMG_2145.jpgIMG_2147.jpgIMG_2150.jpgIMG_2151.jpgIMG_2603.jpg

I was surprised about the bad condition of my box. Some idiot drilled holes/screws into it, has destroyed the cable, sticked crab on it .. But still bad news - the speaker was blown - no resistance at all.
    The size of the old speaker was at about 14.5cm x 20cm and 6cm deep. Floating the box with water resulted in 7 Liter volume of the box, with large dual vents. As my original speaker was blown, i decided to replace it with something more powerfull and keep the OEM look - without spending a f**lot of money into it. As woofer speaker in the OEM dimension are not available at all, and small size woofers are crap or expensive (like the FOCAL Utopia Be 13 WS), i was motivated to try something different.

I was lucky to buy a used Bose subwoofer box from the Audi A6 for super cheap. I was already aware (and impressed) of the sound and levels of this box from the Audi, and i was sure that i'll be able to convert this into the Supra case as the speaker should fit. Both cases are vented, and have a similar size.

For my bad, i did not take any pictures from the Bose box - i just removed the 5 1/4" from the box, filled it with water and threw it away. The volume of the Audi box was at 9 liters, with a larger single vent. So this should work - let's go.

This is the little bad boy:
    IMG_2605.jpgIMG_2606.jpg

I produced a quick freehand-style adapter plate with a 6mm wood panel to fit the speaker in the box. To keep it under the OEM cover, i was forced to cut the upper part of the speaker frame, and install some spacers do increase the distance from the upper cover to the membrane - but all fine:
    IMG_2612 (1).jpgIMG_2609.jpg

After repairing and re-sealing the box - time for a sound check. And i was not disappointed - brilliant mod for 20 bucks in total.

What search button? Club Member bayside_supra's Avatar
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    That looks great. Do you know any other speakers that will fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1993 Aerotop 6 Speed Single

Follow me on Instagram @bayside_supra

Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bayside_supra View Post

Like the door speakers if you can get an adapter made up you could fit a good range of speakers that fit the hole dimensions. Would be good to maybe start a list of speakers that are known to fit.
    95' Black TT6 UK Spec . UK spec Supra register LINK if you have a UK spec send me a pm or post on the thread

I'm a newbie Club Member
    Feedback
    The problem is, that there is are just a few speakers available that are rated as subwoofers in this size. Good subwoofer speakers are starting at 10", but you'll need to stay <=5 1/4" with the oem box. Fitting a full-range or coax speaker in this dimension will not really work as a subwoofer, as they are not going under 100Hz.

Here is what i found during my research:
    • FOCAL Utopia Be 13 WS, 5", up to 150W, plays down to 35Hz. About 300$. IMHO this would be the best choice.
    • Plenty of "noname" 5" woofer/midwoofer speakers, see here
    • Multiple Bose speakers from built subwoofers, like the one i have used.

Feedback
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bayside_supra View Post

I fitted this speaker on Friday: https://www.halfords.com/technology/...cement-speaker

I know it's not a proper Sub speaker, but neither is the stock one. Also I'm running the Toyota Premium sound system, so I don't think the stock amp would take advantage of a proper sub speaker anyway?

I just wanted to replace the cheap stock speaker with something newer. I'm not expecting it to be mind blowing, but it was just something that was very cheap and easy to fit to be honest!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    94 UK Single, Paddle Shift, Black

Quote Originally Posted by Supragal View Post
    Bunra is more dangerous. I'm drawn to danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickTT View Post
    You did well to keep up, there are few things faster in this world than Burna on the way to a pub

Work... what work? Club Member azam's Avatar
    Feedback
    Looks ace, my sound system is seriously lacking sound quality but hey I only drive it once a year and listen to the PWT noises. improving the sound system is on my list to do but still haven't got round to it
    1996 BPU TT AUTO J SPEC
    1994 NA MANUAL J SPEC