The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broadband speed

Dnk

Gave up, went through changing IP and new passwords for the hub etc etc and no joy, just reset the hub upstairs

and all working again apart from the hub downstairs

Plan B :)

I'll look more into the TP Link stuff

Appeared to make no difference using the TP Link i was given so think i'll just put up with it.

On another note i just had a message from BT saying their sending out another engineer even though

they've closed the account and given me quite a sizable refund, BT seem to have lost the plot

I could only dream of 40Mb broadband. In the real World that is plenty fast enough to stream content of download large programmes.

If you us Speed Test then it'll tell you which server you are looking at, what your IP address is and your download and upload speeds. You can then change server locations to check distance matters, the further away the higher the ping reading and it can lead to a slower connection or if your local server is experiencing issues maybe faster. Though I've never found going for a further connection any faster.

I find using the speed test site does mirror what I pay for and when it doesn't I tell the provider and soon after they will issue a network service update or reboot the connection to restore the full connection speed.

A second stage is to optimise your internet PC setup. There is a freeware programme you can download and just see what is going on or use its suggestions the optimise your connection settings.

Im so glad i moved away from BT/adsl options. all lies. never got speeds advertised. i know its the nature of the cables and distance and stuff, but it pissed me off no end. im not even sure id want to go and try the fibre options from bt. Not now iv seen what you can get elsewhere.

Iv been on virgin for almost 10 years. Never a single problem. They have upgraded me twice, for no charge. and i now get a nice steady 220mb download and 11mb up. though obviously if you cant get virgin your stuffed :p

I could only dream of 40Mb broadband. In the real World that is plenty fast enough to stream content of download large programmes.

If you us Speed Test then it'll tell you which server you are looking at, what your IP address is and your download and upload speeds. You can then change server locations to check distance matters, the further away the higher the ping reading and it can lead to a slower connection or if your local server is experiencing issues maybe faster. Though I've never found going for a further connection any faster.

I find using the speed test site does mirror what I pay for and when it doesn't I tell the provider and soon after they will issue a network service update or reboot the connection to restore the full connection speed.

A second stage is to optimise your internet PC setup. There is a freeware programme you can download and just see what is going on or use its suggestions the optimise your connection settings.

My biggest issues were the connection dropping and the hugely varying speeds that i was getting

sounds like you need a Linksys Velop.

Has a main wifi unit downstairs where your router is. Then you can place the other nodes around the house where your wifi is bad. Better than the plug in Wifi extenders as it creates a proper mesh network.

WiFi will only be top speed in the same room as the router, any blockage will reduce signal. You also need to consider your devices.

Your router MAY support wireless N/AC but if your device is old (does not) you'll only ever receive B/G speeds which are a max of 54mbit.

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

If you are getting variable speeds which usually means slower in the evenings then that will be because you have a bandwidth restriction from the ISP which is being shared with lots of other users downloading and streaming in the evenings.

My connection used to drop to 1/10th of its paid for speed often during the peak evening viewing hours. I found a small programme freeware that would monitor the internet connection and speed and ping on whatever server or website you set it to ping. You could set the time interval to ping and leave it running for days. I think it was something like Jacks freeware I used but couldn't find it on a quick trawl. This site leads you into the right type of programme to run this monitor and test over an extended period.

I used the traces over a few days to demonstrate the issues I was experiencing to my ISP so they came out and upgraded my equipment (a radio signal relay) and ended up upgrading the base network setup which probably helped everyone on the same wider network of users. With ISPs its best to tackle them with actual data to show its not just you being a pain as they always said to me there was no problem from what they could see from their own monitoring. Once presented with the 5 minute ping burst traces they had no choice but to act and resolve the dropping and variable speed issue, which to be fair they did. That was 2 years ago for me, which is why I cannot recall which internet monitoring software I used at the time.

Still couldn't find the programme I used but this looks like it'd do the job of monitoring and reporting you connection quality and down times.

Edited by rider (see edit history)