The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AEM V1 - get readings to screen?

Thomas.B

Hi!

I have defi gauges in the a-pillar and they annoy the living hell out of me.

So I would like to be able to get all readings i have (oil pressure, oil temp, exhaust temp) on the a-pillar onto a screen instead.

Are there any plug and play available for this model or what options do I have?

Thanks!

AEM v1 has telemetry output via RS232 which works with the AEM serial gauge, the datastream is pretty basic and easy to work with so doing building something wouldnt be that difficult.

Many years ago (2008) I did knock up a display on an old Compaq iPaq :lol:

Thanks for the input!

Ideally I'd like to fit a 8-10" screen as I do with my computer when mapping etc but only for it to show the readings above and maye the lambda too.

Whats driving the screen?

Is it a car PC that has a serial port, what OS is it running?

• 2 years later...

Crikey this is an old one 😀

Have you done of any protocol / stream decode, the raw values wouldnt mean much at all, you need the scalars and offsets along with the header byte etc.

From memory there was some control over the stream as its the same stream used for the telemetry serial gauge they released, the ECU switches to stream output after a period of time.

Some old info I found, not sure how up to date it is :-

Header byte : 0x55

Name                 Units  Scalar    Offset    Min       Max       Signed? Bitmask
Battery Volts        Volts  0.062500  0         0         15.93750       n     -                                              
Throttle             %      0.390625  0         0         99.99847       n     -  

batt volts 00-ff   ie B9 hex = 185 dec    185x0.0625 = 11.56v
throttle 00-ff     ie ff hex = 255 dec    255x0.390625 =99.6%

Morning @Wez, the problem I am having is I can not see header byte 0x55 from hyperterminal, putty, or python from the raw data package to decode it. I get weird characters in both putty and hyperterminal so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Aem v1 serial to rs232 baud rate of 19200

Baud rate : 19200
Parity : None
Data size : 8 bits
Stop bits : 1

you need to make sure you have telemetry stream for the serial gauge enabled, not the normal serial stream for managing / configuring via AEM Pro, once enabled it will switch stream automatically after a few seconds if AEM Pro is not connected, well thats how it worked from memory, its been a while :)