The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi stall

2jzjay

I know this has prob been covered allot and I have done my research, but just wondered if anyone had any hot tips?!?!

I'm looking to upgrade my auto setup to match my recent single conversion.

After recent trip to the quarter mile, and getting rinsed off the line, I think I'm in need of an uprated torque converter and possibly a built box too.

For my needs it seems a hi stall 3800 would be a good match for my single, even though daily driving will be massively compromised by all accounts.

Questions, can I run the titan hi stall on a standard box?

I will be updating the coolers also!

Has anyone had much experience with these converter and give me any advise?

Ps....would still love to go manual but don't have the funds for a v160 yet.

Thanks in advance, any advise appreciated

you can run hi stalls on stock auto box , but it does put more strain on them as the torque converter is a fluid coupling and raising the stall speed is just making it a less efficient coupling which generates more heat as a result, so extra coolers and retaining the stock heater / cooler in the radiator is a must for prolonging the life of the stock box. but your also running a T67 and power comes on harder then the stock sequential and is probably close to double the power it was designed to take. So it needs every bit of help you can get very good trans oil that takes the heat but its expensive https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1025-red-line-d4-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid.aspx

if your into drag racing then Auto for the win lol

Thanyou for the advise melonman. Agreed, defo going to add a second cooler and update the original. Unfortunately don't have a stock rad so don't have the original cooler.

Will just add a temp sensor and keep an eye on it. Good to know I can use a stock box, also quite cheap to replace if it does go wrong.

After a couple of very poor starts off the line, very kean to see what a high stall can do for me.

Thanks for the link too,

Hopefully can get some quick quarter mile times in next time out!

ATF make the best transmissions but they are based in the US.

Have a read of a recent thread where I have posted some relevant autobox info for another member - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?352279-Fitting-new-fuel-rail-and-injectors&p=4289875&viewfull=1#post4289875

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Link added. (see edit history)

Thank for the links guys...

Made for a very interesting read, although haven't quite got through all the info on David p section! That's allot of extremely detailed, very useful info.

I think doing a few of the box mods like shims and larger sump would defo be a good idea.

And for sure decent cooling/heating system with thermostat and temp sensor.

Going to struggle to find room for 2 coolers mind.

Being a uk model, do u think I could just leave my original cooler where it is and just add one more additional?

Or just add 2 new?

I see David P doesn't go much on hi stalls though.

Will continue to go through his threads tomorrow....

Auto box overload!! Haha

you can fit another cool directly on front of the one you have now type depending , mine come with a diagram how to plumb in additional coolers and that was the way they showed , you don't want to cover took much rad space as this could cause over heating,

David don't go into hi stall as he locks his up straight away as he super charged his supra, its a good build thread to read