The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo time! Reliable opinions needed please!

RZtwin

Hey guys, fellow Canadian here;) Just looking for some solid info from others who have done this with great success to their Supra.

I own a 93 JDM Supra RZ, currently bpu/FMIC with stock motor stock fuel system with Bosch 044 fuel pump(300LPH). In good working order making 410whp. I use it for lapping days, time attack..etc

Goal = reliable 650-675whp on 94Octane (98RON Euro "i think")

Looking for full boost around 4500-4750rpm but not coming in very abrupt to prevent shortblock damage.

My plan is to do the head work, Camshafts, new springs, retainers, keepers, valve seals. Stronger head studs and Head gasket if needed.

I am leaning towards Precision Turbo 6466 or 6766 and I am unsure about what compressor A/R and what Turbine A/R would be best for my application. Also Journal or Ball bearing??

Which exhaust manifold ???

What brand/size injectors???

Help with fuel system parts needed also please.

So long story short, what best QUALITY parts do I need ?

Standalone ECU=

Cam shaft=

Valve springs=

Retainers =

Valve seals, leaning towards OEM=

Head studs(if necessary)=

Headgasket(if necessary)=

Turbo=

Exhaust Manifold=

Injectors=

THANKS GUYS!

Jay

Edited by RZtwin
Forgot ecu (see edit history)

I take it you’d rather go for parts available in the States/Canada as opposed to UK suppliers? On that assumption, a 264 cam would be good and Brian Crowers seem readily available. Valves, retainers, seals etc would either be Ferera or OEM. Head studs I’d go ARP. Don’t need to be anything special for the power goals either. Stock TT headgasket and ID injectors have a good rep in the states. All topped off with a PHR or ETS turbo kit would make a great package. 6466 would probably get you to your power goals as well with the earliest spool.

Only thing I can’t comment on for sure is the sizing of the housings, but hopefully someone with the knowledge can chime in :)

As above I would go for a 6466 Gen2 with divided 1.00 AR, that's what I had and it was epic. Made 800rwhp so maxed out at 905 at fly with a new less restrictive exhaust. It will be plenty for your needs and very fast spooling - see attached older Dyno graph. Go with a larger housing as this is a very quick spooling turbo and you'll have capacity for more top end power.

I would then go with Asnu 1100cc injectors so you have some headroom for power plus ethanol mapping capability.

Twin Walbro 485 pumps if going more than 700, otherwise one should be more than sufficient.

I had an older Power House Racing manifold which was ace, but if I was to do it again I would check out the SRD billet manifolds.

Also Ferrera head parts which again I had and they performed flawlessly.

Cheers and good luck!

Greg

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

As above I would go for a 6466 Gen2 with divided 1.00 AR, that's what I had and it was epic. Made 800rwhp so maxed out at 905 at fly with a new less restrictive exhaust. It will be plenty for your needs and very fast spooling - see attached older Dyno graph. Go with a larger housing as this is a very quick spooling turbo and you'll have capacity for more top end power.

I would then go with Asnu 1100cc injectors so you have some headroom for power plus ethanol mapping capability.

Twin Walbro 485 pumps if going more than 700, otherwise one should be more than sufficient.

I had an older Power House Racing manifold which was ace, but if I was to do it again I would check out the SRD billet manifolds.

Also Ferrera head parts which again I had and they performed flawlessly.

Cheers and good luck!

Greg

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/02/25.jpg

/QUOTE]Good advice there. Very similar setup to mine although one thing for the OP to note is those figures are with ethanol, guessing that graph was around E60. If 98Ron fuel (v-power for us Brits) is equivalent to your 94 Octane stuff then you'll be seeing almost bang on the numbers you're after at 650-700whp.

Graphs below are from my 6466 1.0a/r and show the different between 98Ron and E60 on a built 2J with 272 cams and 1100cc injectors (which were maxed on E60). 98Ron was 3rd on a V160 and E60 was 4th.

You could make the 700hp odd from a 6766 journal I'd think, but it will be getting to its limit, lag and then hit hard when it comes in. Ball bearing version will improve spool by 500rpm or so over journal but won't beat the 6466.

Fueling wise I'd personally run a twin pump setup again but a single 485 would have flowed what I needed for the above just about, but the 1100cc's were too small for ethanol. ASNU 1650s would have been better suited and probably seen another 30-50hp at the hubs.imageimageimageimage

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Can only echo what has been said, we also run the 6466 1.00 A/R with 264 cams, twin Walbro 485 pumps, ASNU 1500cc injectors which made 654rwhp on pump fuel (99RON) and 708rwhp on E70. This is a fairly stock engine with only ARP hardware throughout and Clevite bearings with a set of 264 cams. The rest is stock, although has been refreshed/rebuilt a few years back. The 6466 is a quick spoiling turbo and will be ideal for your needs with plenty of headroom in the future if need be.

Thanks for the info guys! I just added "Which standalone ECU is recommended" to my list above.

Sounds like the 6466 is my go too! But my concern is would this turbo come on so quick and early that I would need to upgrade the block or can I keep that stock and just focus on the head??

Keep the opinions coming please!

You'll be able to run the 6466 on stock block at reasonable power (600/650 fly) with no issues I would of thought. Like every Supra, as long as the engine has been maintained well then it will handle much higher power but it does come with increased wear.

Get a compression and leak down test done on the engine and go from there.

Syvecs S6+ ECU all the way for the win. Loads of functionality, Toucan display, plenty of sensors etc. You'll pay for it though, not cheap at all. I loved mine. Plus plenty of map modes means you don't HAVE to run full power all the time! I normally ran circa 600rwhp on mine.

Just to add, if you are worried about a responsive turbo creating enough torque to over stress your engine, then you can get your mapper to limit the boost/torque/ignition timing as it ramps in.

Imo, even with a mid frame 60mm-ish turbo you generally won't make more torque then whats acceptable as safe for stock block whilst on pump fuel

Agree with Syvecs S6 as the ecu choice, best bit of kit I bought for mine for the reasons Greg has mentioned! Warm up/limp modes, valet modes, pops/bangs map, fuel/emissions efficiency (if that's your thing!?), launch control and rolling boost builder are all well within its capabilities too, as well as loads of other stuff!

Engine wise, the only additions I'd make are rod bolts and 264 cams. The power won't be too aggressive when it comes in but any decent standalone will give you the ability to map it in smoothly, whilst also running a much better traction control system while you get used to the extra power ;)

Only thing I've noticed is that you're from Canada, so I'd check with who you'd be happy mapping your car that they can map a Syvecs ECU. My understanding is that they're not too well known across the pond (unfortunately) so just make sure before spending the money on one :)

I'd imagine they'll also suggest ECU's such as MoTeC, Pro EFI, Holley and maybe even Haltech

• 2 weeks later...