The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Old Fart's Hot Hatch

David P

I have a new a daily drive. :)

After contemplating Audi A3 TDI and BMW 120D, :think: the RWD and mpg of the 120D was tempting, but not as tempting as a D5 2.4 engine, so I forgave the FWD to chose the better looking and better equipped; Volvo C30 D5.

attachment.php?attachmentid=230564&d=1548787475

It's a turbocharged oil burner with, 178 bhp and 295 ftlb.

After servicing and tweaking it's auto box, with a better intercooler, K&N panel filter and a remap, it should be good for 240bhp 350ftlb whilst still averaging in the low 40's mpg and 50+ on a run.

It's the SE Sport version, the suspension is kinder to my spine than the R Design, but will get an R design front lip to swap onto it.

Breakers yards are full of these things that have been written off for the smallest of bumps and "desirable" parts are cheap as chips.

It looks good and has plenty of grunt with light thirst, maybe the perfect; Old Fart's Hot Hatch? :D

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Not exactly a hot hatch, but got a D5 myself. A 2014 V70 with Polestar remap. So only producing 230bhp, but the gearbox remap does not make it so lazy on the gear changes.

I could have gone for a different remap, but if my car ever went in to Volvo for anything, as part of the service they update the ECU which will always wipe any non polestar remap. I dunno if that is the same as the older C30's.

It does look good in white and was one of the reasons I bought it, however, it is not an R Design, this is the SE Sport.

Same D5 engine but with softer suspension, which is kinder for my spine, but there are some R Design bits I like, I already have facelift R design black leather seats and steering wheel ready to fit when the weather warms up and I'm looking out for an R Design front lip.