The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Tax. Real?....fake?......relative?

SPG

Is “Supra Tax Real”  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is “Supra Tax Real”

• Yes it’s definately a thing
    • No it’s not real, it’s relative to our vehicle prices
    • Maybe, but It’s probably due to lack of supply and no back up from Toyota
    • Both lack of parts supply and our vehicle values rising have driven the increase.

Hi People (hopefully everyone identifies as a person, don’t wanna cause offends :D),

Today I was having a little think about part pricing and the rise in second/new parts for the supra. I have noticed recently that the prices have been on an upward trend, my thoughts were that the prices were follow the same trend as the market values of our cars.

The above got me thinking, I’ve heard a few people mention “supra tax” in the past few months, and generally thought that this was a term used to describe an over expensive part. This got me thinking and I sounded what the rest of you think about this term and prices of parts in general.

1) Is supra tax a thing, or are we just seeing a relative trend that is following the market value of our cars?

2) obviously supply is now becoming harder as Toyota stocks are close to crisis point for some items, could this be the catalyst?

3) Trying to rock the boat a little with this one, but in the not too distant past we witnessed the supra value bottom out, did we get a raft of owners at this point who were not ready for the financial burdens of the supra’s upkeep?

4) Supra tax is real and it’s unjust. Cheers Toyota for starving us of a heritage line.

What do you guys think, I’m just thinking our loads with the 4 examples above.

:D

Obviously the parts are going to rise in relation to the cost of the cars but it's the scumbags you seeing buying and selling used parts for a profit when they have no intention of using the bits on their own cars that annoy me.

I've refused to sell things to certain people on the Facebook pages as I know well they would have been back up for sale at a higher price

There definitely is a Supra tax, but this is a term that's come about from those of us used to years of cheap prices, as I agree the value of cars going up and the inevitable reduction in parts both new and old means the parts also will/should/are rising.

I don't like it as such (even though I'm sitting on cars and spares that have perhaps doubled in value), as it tends to cause more ownership angst and less member co-operation, the breaking UK spec and £200 odd quid dash switch? The bronze 17's etc people not driving them much anymore. I spose it's the natural progression of a semi classic reaching an awkward stage re refurbs/spares/value.

Obviously the parts are going to rise in relation to the cost of the cars but it's the scumbags you seeing buying and selling used parts for a profit when they have no intention of using the bits on their own cars that annoy me.

I've refused to sell things to certain people on the Facebook pages as I know well they would have been back up for sale at a higher price

/QUOTE]

That's what I was alluding to when a car goes on a appreciation curve, there is money to be made, flippers appear, if you just want to keep your old car on the road and appreciate it as you always have it's actually worse that the costs go up.

2) Obviously supply is now becoming harder as Toyota stocks are close to crisis point for some items, could this be the catalyst?

Many "discontinued" parts are still available to buy new if you spend time searching, although some owners appear too lazy to do this. Some have more money than sense and many are happy to take everything they are told at face value so will pay an inflated price. None of this will help pricing structure when combining it with Toyotas lack of interest in supporting the marque.

3) Trying to rock the boat a little with this one, but in the not too distant past we witnessed the supra value bottom out, did we get a raft of owners at this point who were not ready for the financial burdens of the supra’s upkeep?

You are going back some time there. The Chavs that bought the cars wrote them off or blew them up, then lost interest and moved on.

4) Supra tax is real and it’s unjust. Cheers Toyota for starving us of a heritage line

Members who have been on here for 10+ years will remember the cheap and often free secondhand OEM parts. Keron ALWAYS having stock of everything you could possibly need and members giving parts away for free just because it would help someone out of a sticky situation. Unfortunately times have changes, arguably not for the best but we don't have an option other than to buy new from Toyota if it is still available.

It doesn't help that there are members who seem to have an untapped source to discontinued or rare OEM parts who only want sell for a profit. Combined with the FU attitude of "if you don't like the price, someone else with more money than you will pay it, if they are desperate enough" and giving nothing back to the community really does rub salt into the wounds.

Supra tax has been a thing for years. If it fits a supra or has supra on it, some people charge a fortune, even if those parts are fitted to other cars too.

Very true unfortunately.

Even if those parts are fitted to other cars too.

Exactly this. The smaller 200mm Lexus diff is a prime example.

It's the scumbags you seeing buying and selling used parts for a profit when they have no intention of using the bits on their own cars that annoy me. I've refused to sell things to certain people on the Facebook pages as I know well they would have been back up for sale at a higher price.

It happens on here too.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Spelling. (see edit history)

Supra tax is a definite thing, it happens on here and in the facebook group, I get and agree that prices naturally increase as the cars get rarer and parts get discontinued but some of the prices asked for parts is nuts.

As mentioned by others it's the profiteers trying their luck to get a high price for their goods, and then someone being daft enough to pay for them, which then begins to set new benchmarks for those parts, then the profiteering starts again at an even higher price and the cycle continues.

I'm sat on some parts that I'm looking to sell in the near future but at the same time wondering if it's worth doing so and just keeping them for future spares.

It also means we hoard stuff, as you no longer think if you sell something in 'the stores' you can replenish it......or even if you can that it'll be more when you need one yourself, and so you end up adding a Supra tax of sorts to cover yourself or simply ignore the wanted thread.

Do we feel a members exchange section/tab might help a little if you can only swap parts if the other person has something you’re interested in?

Might stop a bit of the price inflation, and help promote a bit more of a club spirit.

With regards to the parts that are interchangeable, perhaps we need a sticky, I didn’t know that the Lexus diff was similar if not the same as the small case supra diff.

Keep the opinions coming :).

It also means we hoard stuff,

There is a lot of this going on. It can get a bit OCD so I've largely called time on parts buying as there are instances where I've ended up with 2 spares of quite a few things - mainly the electrical parts; just to improve the chances that one will actually work if called upon. At least that means that the part you need should be available somewhere from someone if they are willing to part. Probably most hoards will just end up on auto jumble stalls in 20 years time.

Wouldn't a stockpiled parts register be a wonderful thing. Probably find there are 200 sets of headlights sitting on shelves around the country then they could be like £100 a set again.

It also means we hoard stuff, as you no longer think if you sell something in 'the stores' you can replenish it......or even if you can that it'll be more when you need one yourself, and so you end up adding a Supra tax of sorts to cover yourself or simply ignore the wanted thread.

Good point, and that is my thinking in that if I need that part in future I may already have it and won't get stung. I've had experience recently of selling items to a member (via pm) for the price that I paid, not looking to profit at all, only to see a month or so later the same items are for sale (off forum) for near double the price paid.

Now whilst I'm not against someone making a profit, that is an example of blatant profiteering and meant someone else has paid way over the odds.

I will also add for balance that I have recently bought a number of parts I need off members on here for very good prices, so there are still a good amount of people on here that don't want to fleece members.

I often reply to wanted ads but hope if I ever need anything somebody would reply offering the part I require/need.

If I needed the part I would be willing to pay the going rate.

This pol is only the same as saying I paid 12.5k for my red Uk tt6 so it’s wrong if asked for the current value?

It’s a simple supply and demand and supply is short on many parts now.

I have owned my Supras through the dip in prices and now the increases the value has never been a thought (I just like my cars) even the cost of parts has never really bothered me.

Hi People (hopefully everyone identifies as a person, don’t wanna cause offends :D),

Today I was having a little think about part pricing and the rise in second/new parts for the supra. I have noticed recently that the prices have been on an upward trend, my thoughts were that the prices were follow the same trend as the market values of our cars.

The above got me thinking, I’ve heard a few people mention “supra tax” in the past few months, and generally thought that this was a term used to describe an over expensive part. This got me thinking and I sounded what the rest of you think about this term and prices of parts in general.

1) Is supra tax a thing, or are we just seeing a relative trend that is following the market value of our cars?

2) obviously supply is now becoming harder as Toyota stocks are close to crisis point for some items, could this be the catalyst?

4) Supra tax is real and it’s unjust. Cheers Toyota for starving us of a heritage line.

What do you guys think, I’m just thinking our loads with the 4 examples above.

:D

Firstly I identify as a gender non specific tree ;) and secondly yes supra tax is a thing which is sad I do remember and I have given away parts to help people out over the years but it’s also a case of supply and demand with trends being what they are ie the return to stock as it is lately

With regards to the parts that are interchangeable, perhaps we need a sticky, I didn’t know that the Lexus diff was similar if not the same as the small case supra diff.

This needs to happen, I recently read somewhere that the indicator/wiper stalks were the same as another Toyota model - first I’d ever heard about that in all my years of ownership

This needs to happen, I recently read somewhere that the indicator/wiper stalks were the same as another Toyota model - first I’d ever heard about that in all my years of ownership

I was told recently by a mechanic at the local Nissan dealership that’s the Getrag V160/1 Oil was the same that’s used in the R34 which is readily available. Not sure if that’s 100% accusrate though.

The Lexus owners forums have quite detailed threads on X reference Supra parts. They did this as Supra parts were deemed or assumed to be better in many instances, an example being the suspension arms that are a drop in but with the Supra parts it was claimed they have stiffer bushes so deemed an upgrade. Anyone looking out for this just hop over to the Luxus forums and do a search.

Very nice info pointed out there Rider. Didn't know head lamps sold for 100 pounds. Sad days but anyway what most are mentioning here is true.

I have perhaps only 3 items spare and would not really part with it unless someone was really in dire need of it. I have been offered parts for free like a bonnet and bumper but I have that and simply getting this for free would be doing my old mate in for a bad one as evil always stirs. I may sell it or hoard it for reasons only evil or greed can explain.

I have bought a few needed items for cheap and some items a bit ridiculous but I guess if you look long enough, you could find the parts.

This is a good post OP. Thanks for this mate.

Cars in my country are going up as one can no longer import and register it here. So if its registered, people are asking for n/a converted 5spd turbo models roughly $45000 or so. Parts are hard to come by here and whoever has isn't selling or have parts others don't want or need. A complete dash board was going for $250 here.

Motor prices have shot through the roof because all Toyota RWD owners of Hilux or Corolla are fitting 2jz as well as BMW E series owners. Some places are now retailing Aristo 2jz's from as little as $3500 to $4000 excluding harness, ecu and transmission.