The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drilled/grooved discs - more dust?

Johnm400

If you use a softer pad yes. The point of the holes or grooves is to help alleviate heat build up in the disc. I would recommend using a harder compound race pad for this. Hopefully experienced users will chime in. My AMG model car has drilled disc with 6 piston brembos and doesn't create much of the dust but the wheels over time do turn grey from their normal silver colour. By over time I don't meant in one week. But then again how spirited is your driving mate?

If you use a softer pad yes. The point of the holes or grooves is to help alleviate heat build up in the disc. I would recommend using a harder compound race pad for this. Hopefully experienced users will chime in. My AMG model car has drilled disc with 6 piston brembos and doesn't create much of the dust but the wheels over time do turn grey from their normal silver colour. By over time I don't meant in one week. But then again how spirited is your driving mate?

To be honest i dont do many miles and dont thrash the car but i hate dirty wheels and i dont always have chance to wash the car. I do like the look of drilled/grooved discs but if they will dirty the wheels quicker then id rather just stick to standard discs.

That is not the only issue mate. Over time if you don't clean the drillings, they tend to clog up with brake pad material. This then causes heat spots on the disc leading to fatigue in that region and small cracks start to appear over time. I clean my AMG disc everytime I wash the car or service it which is less than washing it but yeah.

In the case of your scenario above, I would rather stick with the stock disc then and avoid headache

• 2 weeks later...

Drilled discs are designed to vent gasses from the pad filler material, or in the wet, steam. they are a lot more aggressive on pad wear, as are grooved discs as they act like crude cheese graters. The drilled ones, especially cheap Chinese ones are much more prone to cracking, A true "drilled" race disc is actually CAST with the holes in the casting, but even those are often considered throw away items after a hard wet race. For 90% of road / track day use a plain or sensibly grooved disc will give far less grief than a drilled one.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)