The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Young Driver, 1 claim, question about supra models

Nathanj1142

Hi All,

Unfortunately my M235 BMW got broken into the other day, had it's steering wheel and entertainment system nabbed, and the thieves cut my main loom, so the repair bill from BMW is extortionate as you can imagine, and am guessing the car is going to be a write off.

I luckily have GAP insurance, so I should be getting a small pay-out of about 4-5 grand, which is alright I guess.

I thought it might be the ideal opportunity to go for my dream car, being a mk4 supra, and get the N/A manual version as was guessing the insurance was going to be cheaper, alongside the car. (Im also 19, 20 in march)

I got a quote of 1300, which is reasonable provided the circumstance.

I also looked at an RZ 6spd manual, with the quotes being upwards of 4 grand.

Now I selected 1995 as the year, without knowing a reg, and found if I select a 3dr manual it would come up as a SUPRA TURBO, which was something like £1800, BRILLIANT! I assume this means the mk3, but that wasn't even in production in 1995? I think the '3dr' option is between 93 and 96.

So, my question is, could I insure a mk4 TT 6spd, as a supra turbo, or would that classify my insurance as void as it technically is a RZ?

I have tried the reg J80 SUP (found on ebay), and the insurance brought it up as the SUPRA TURBO with the 1800 premium.

What's the deal with all this?

Edited by Nathanj1142 (see edit history)

It's called playing with fire!!

If you can find other sites like gocompare I think, the list RZ etc and so you can put in RZ and select manual and see what that gives you, from your experience with the M235 it makes sense to be sure you are covered, rather than going in with it not being certain and then having to fight your case about model years etc.

The following is a bit of 'dad' talk, but the M235 was an expensive newer car on finance so then I presume a TT6 would also be on finance and so a (very) old car on finance that may not even be the 'event/dream' you think compared to the M235? Think long and hard, have you ever manage to get a drive in one, I suspect not given your age?

I had similar issues with my insurance last year, it's due next month.

One company on a comparison site actually allowed me to select the car details and pay for the policy. I called them to query why it said Supra Turbo and not Supra Twin Turbo. They then said they couldn't insure the car using the excuse they don't cover imports. So I asked why am I allowed to select and pay for the car? Got no decent answer and they refunded my money.

I ended up with DirectLine, can't complain as service been great and price was same as cheapest on the comparison site. With them I actually got them to add the wording on my policy as Twin Turbo to ensure they had the correct car details. Made no difference to price though at all.

It's called playing with fire!!

If you can find other sites like gocompare I think, the list RZ etc and so you can put in RZ and select manual and see what that gives you, from your experience with the M235 it makes sense to be sure you are covered, rather than going in with it not being certain and then having to fight your case about model years etc.

The following is a bit of 'dad' talk, but the M235 was an expensive newer car on finance so then I presume a TT6 would also be on finance and so a (very) old car on finance that may not even be the 'event/dream' you think compared to the M235? Think long and hard, have you ever manage to get a drive in one, I suspect not given your age?

Hey scooter, thanks for the reply,

The RZ gave me a quote of 4-5 grand on comparethemarket.

The reason why I’m looking at these is because any car remotely new just spews some ridiculous price at me and I really would like one of these.

I’ve never driven one, you’re right, so my next step would be to go and drive one PROVIDED I could insure one. I know the n/a will be really slow, but I’d rather have a slow supra than a slow fiesta, cause anything low power is the only thing I can afford (if you get me).

The car would be on finance, yes, and I would also need to look into loans after I found one for the right price again this may prevent me from getting one.

I had similar issues with my insurance last year, it's due next month.

One company on a comparison site actually allowed me to select the car details and pay for the policy. I called them to query why it said Supra Turbo and not Supra Twin Turbo. They then said they couldn't insure the car using the excuse they don't cover imports. So I asked why am I allowed to select and pay for the car? Got no decent answer and they refunded my money.

I ended up with DirectLine, can't complain as service been great and price was same as cheapest on the comparison site. With them I actually got them to add the wording on my policy as Twin Turbo to ensure they had the correct car details. Made no difference to price though at all.

Yes okay that makes sense! I have yet to ring sky insurance and Adrian flux, to see what they can do for me.

Thanks for the reply!