The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member - Hampshire

Tom_K

Morning All,

I'll try an be succinct here but I do tend to waffle so...Hi everyone!

Backstory:

Been into cars since I was old enough to know what they were, had my fair share and I'm a *little* ocd with how I take care of them. I think this comes from the thought that I'll never buy a new car, but I can make an older one like new with a bit of elbow grease.

To give you a flavour of this, I had this e36 a couple of years ago and slowly 'restored' it by stripping and re-painting the underside, filling everything full of wax and retrofitting as many optional extras as I could, like full computer, cruise, pdc, full leather and the mammoth job of retrofitting digital climate control which involved removing the entire interior, dash & heather matrix etc. Anyway, it looked like this:

And the underside looked like this:

After I'd had my fun with this, I was on the lookout for the next weekend toy. Long story short, my current one is a Nissan 350GT (Skyline in japan), with the manual box and brembos, which is half the reason I bought it as that's pretty rare in these. Again, I've been working on it:

What can I say, I hate rust!

So now we come to me being here; in typical fashion, back when I could afford to buy a Supra, I couldn't afford the insurance. Now I can afford the insurance, the prices of the cars have shot up, but I remain positive lol I'm basically here to glean as much knowledge as I can on them and see if I can buy one.

That was succinct, right?...

Edited by Tom_K
Stupid typo (see edit history)

As Supras are old cars now there are plenty of them out there that could do with a bit of back to metal TLC, though from their exterior you'd probably never think that. That's both the good thing and also the not so good thing about the car, it still looks good after 20 years and hides nasty things like rust very well.

If you are good enough and brave enough to tackle anything then there will always be the car that needs a lot of TLC coming up at relatively cheap prices. One of the main issues with tackling a project Supra these days is availability of new old stock parts as more and more are discontinued in the OE supply chain by the day and Toyota has been ramping up prices of whats left. So new parts, if they are available, have become very expensive to where they were a little over 5 years ago (tripled on some parts) and this price inflation has fed through to recycled parts to. These cars are now not just expensive to buy compared to just a few years ago but also quite expensive to refurbish especially if your set on OEM.

There are a refurbishment and rebuild threads from members in the Supra Chat and Projects sections here so if you give those a trawl you should be able to pick up on what to look out for with a Supra.

Good luck with your search.

Good morning, welcome to the club. Whereabouts in Hampshire are you?

There's a good, well-attended monthly meet in Basingstoke: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?301525-EPIC-Basingstoke-Meet-Every-First-Weekend-Of-The-Month/page94

Welcome mate, i'm also from Hampshire.. bought my first Supra last week after searching every day for almost a year.

Thanks for the warm welcome all; I was a little bit skeptical of how active forums are these days, having come from the form glory days of the late 2000's.

In terms of where in Hampshire, I'm Southampton way, which reminds me. A few months ago during the summer, I saw a beautiful metallic green Supra near Romsey while I was stuck at some lights. I'm a sucker for green and it looked immaculate!

I must admit too that although I'm lucky enough to be in the position to get one these days, I may yet find that I'm still priced-out. Purely because at some point, sensible head will kick in and wonder what else is available for the same money.

Thanks for the warm welcome all; I was a little bit skeptical of how active forums are these days, having come from the form glory days of the late 2000's.

In terms of where in Hampshire, I'm Southampton way, which reminds me. A few months ago during the summer, I saw a beautiful metallic green Supra near Romsey while I was stuck at some lights. I'm a sucker for green and it looked immaculate!

I must admit too that although I'm lucky enough to be in the position to get one these days, I may yet find that I'm still priced-out. Purely because at some point, sensible head will kick in and wonder what else is available for the same money.

think it belongs to a guy called james jefferson, think its single turbo aswell.

What are you looking for and what is your budget?

Cheers for the Basingstoke Meet mention Steve :thumbs: :)

It may have been me... I am down that way a lot during the summer in my green Supra :) She only comes out on dry spring and summer days to keep her mint.

Your BMW e36 looks immaculate, becoming proper rare now these days too.

If you want, come to a Basingstoke Meet in March / April time? I have got a couple of people that come from Southampton and Portsmouth and it would allow you to then get up close to some Supras :)

think it belongs to a guy called james jefferson, think its single turbo aswell.

I’m only in Basingstoke so could have been me down Romsey way again in my green Supra... I hope it was me, as I am never spotted!! :(

I’m not sure where James lives in these days.... :search:

Might have been me... I live near Portsmouth.

Dave’s has gold 5 Spoke TE37’s... Mine has Fully polished CCW’s. Easiest way to tell them apart. Oh, mine’s also a lot faster! :p

- - - Updated - - -

What are you looking for and what is your budget?

Do I know you? :blink:

Might have been me... I live near Portsmouth.

Dave’s has gold 5 Spoke TE37’s... Mine has Fully polished CCW’s. Easiest way to tell them apart. Oh, mine’s also a lot faster! :p

- - - Updated - - -

Do I know you? :blink:

Remember seeing it advertised on fb lol

Having done a bit of facebook stalking, I'm pretty sure the car I saw belongs to James; it looked lovely!

TheTurtleshead; your list of cars is right up my street, I spent a lot of time in/around Portsmouth and surprised as I don't think I ever saw any of them.

As for my 350; totally agree that's it's a bit marmite. The full story is that I was looking for an R33 Skyline and this came up, as it's badged as a Skyline. It was super local and a very good price as it needed some work (clutch and flywheel were on their way out), so I took a bit of a punt. It's been great fun, and I can't stop myself fixing cars up, but in hindsight, I should have held-out for a Skyline and bought one back then as like Supras, they've gone up in value too lol

Budget, now there's a tricky one. I'm very flexible! Ideally I want a TT 6 (obviously!), but I would also go for an auto if the price was right. I'd also go for something not-original, as in with a TT 6 conversion for example with a 350 box. I know it's not 'pure' but again, if the price was right I'd go for it. The thing I still need to figure out is if I'm comfortable spending a certain amount on one of these over a lot of other cars. I fully appreciate you can't compare a Supra to an M135i for example, but on paper, one of those makes a lot more sense for the ££.