The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trickle Chargers

Tyson

My trusty CTEK charger is showing its age now being 8 years old ! It's still going strong though but I feel it's time to get a new one as technology has moved on quite a bit since then !

Before I buy another CTEK one does anyone have any suggestions of what's worth a look for sub £100. I only need it for maintenance whilst the car is standing and it won't be used for anything else like reviving dead batteries etc so doesn't to be a jack of all trades. It will only ever be used on the Supra and just needs to be safe to be used for long periods of time.

I am currently looking at the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger at £62.

i have a ctek one. honestly if it's not broke don't fix it. Best chargers there are.

The button has moved inside the unit so it's a very fine art to flick it between modes and turn it on and off. It has been going 8 years of which it's probably been in constant use for 6 of those so I think it's earnt a well deserved retirement !

• 4 weeks later...

My Aldi charger works great so far, they recently had them in stores for about 18 quid and it has various modes. I used it this week and overnight went from not being able to start to fine.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-car-battery-charger/p/097043233607400

Seems the alarm is draining the battery more than I thought when the car is only used once a week :(

Are you all using yours with the battery still attached to the car? I disconnected mine in fear of an expensive rookie error.

My Aldi charger works great so far, they recently had them in stores for about 18 quid and it has various modes. I used it this week and overnight went from not being able to start to fine.

Seems the alarm is draining the battery more than I thought when the car is only used once a week :(

Are you all using yours with the battery still attached to the car? I disconnected mine in fear of an expensive rookie error.

/QUOTE]

I leave my CTEK connected all the time on my Range Rover and no issues, no idea if you can do that with your Aldi version

I leave the battery fully connected to the car when I use my Lidl/Aldi and CTEK chargers. If you have to remove the battery, then it's not really a trickle charger. The one you link to will be fine, I'm sure.

Go for it Mike. We have two at home and they are great. My first MXS 3.8 packed in after 5 years as the on/off button went dodgy but the replacements have been solid.

Just check the cable length as they new ones are a lot shorted than 8 years ago. You may need the extension cable which is 2m long.

H.

• 10 months later...

Just put the charger onto the car charge setting led and leave it to do its thing. It should then cycle up through the lights and have the double green lit after a day or so. If you don't get to the green status then you can consider reconditioning but you shouldn't look to recondition a already fully or near fully charged battery. It won't happen, to recondition it needs to be drained so it can be high current 'flashed'.