The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW m5 e60

sidewaysdan

Not personally, I know 2 people who have and both had gearbox issues with the DCT pump. The box isn't the best round town as its an old school single clutch box

But just google it, engine failures, big end bearing failures, gearbox issues, not BMWs finest hour. My brother has had an E34 and an E39 M5, the members pages are filled with people who have E60 issues.

Its at a point now where getting oil analysis on the engine oil to see how much copper is in it is a good move.

My advice, buy very wisely, proof of big end bearing changes and gearbox work is a must. For some reason the M6 seems to be more reliable so maybe worth a look?

I’ve done the usual google . And spoke to a few chaps about the common faults but neither have had any of them .

The one that I’ve looked at had a smg box and the car has covered just 40k . I have also looked at the m6 but I think the m5 is what I need. With twins I can take them out without chucking them in the back.

I will do some more searching tho. It’s seems that most cars seem to have their costly problems :( I just can’t seem to get it out my head. And even the mrs has said just buy it

I saw on twitter yesterday that someone bought a 190k miles example for £6000. I suppose if he was planning on putting in a new engine then it might have been a good buy.

I had the supra at a track day in September and was behind an E61 M5. The noise off it was lovely. They are known to be very unreliable though.

The owner said he had multiple versions of the E60/E61 and said the 535d was the best all rounder. You don’t get the noise though obviously.