The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wangan Supra 2.0 Build @SRD

Chingy

For those interested a refresh build from SRD.....

If your not familiar with the car, it started its life in Japan in '95 as a factory 6 speed. In '98/99 it had a fully built motor running big twins by Front Row Itoh Engineering in Japan. Recorded at 211mph on the Wangan Highway.

Following on from this the car went on quite a journey being imported into the UK by Jurgen ,

then owned by Andy it was moved onto a big single,

then an even bigger single!!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?209598-Project-1300&highlight=suprafan72

The car then changed hands to Steve who sourced the original custom Front Row Big Twin set putting the car back to its original big twins!

As well as in 2016 a brand new V161 was installed

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?264733-The-Wangan-Supra&highlight=Wangan

I was then fortunate enough to buy the car in 2017

... After a Dyno run earlier in this year at SRD and the car surprisingly making a lot more power than envisaged, a decision was made to change out the clutch (the original 2016 HKS LA,) A great clutch as it has never once slipped on me however when it was originally installed in 2016 it was put into the car with full knowledge that it was already on the power limit of what it was designed to manage.

(I will be offering the HKS LA clutch for sale with brand new plates if it can be of use to anyone....as well as any parts I decide to change out.)

Now with the fate of the clutch change agreed it got me thinking.......

.....The car had always run the the original forged bottom end since 1998 faultlessly albeit different turbos, heads, gearboxes but always the same unopened bottom end.

Now some 20 yrs old, would now be a good time as the weather turns for a refresh? After an initial inspection we learnt that the components originally used in 98 where of very high standards, Carrillo, HKS, ARP and all in good condition for a 20yr 800/900bhp engine etc....however the stock OEM 20+year old bearings used ! where always going to benefit from something newer......so if we are splitting the engine then logically thinking we should install new piston rings, maybe deck the block...maybe a water pump & oil pump.....maybe review the head.....so it begins!

Edited by Chingy (see edit history)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to updates :cool:

Always one of my favourite Supras, and clearly with someone who is going to look after it. Was never keen on the switch to a big single on this car, but the resulting bonnet bulge really suits it. IIRC isn't it a 3.1l? Assuming it had oversized pistons and a rebore when the original build was done?

I reckon you should treat the engine and any ancilliaries to a lick of paint while you have it out.

Looking forward to updates :cool:

Always one of my favourite Supras, and clearly with someone who is going to look after it. Was never keen on the switch to a big single on this car, but the resulting bonnet bulge really suits it. IIRC isn't it a 3.1l? Assuming it had oversized pistons and a rebore when the original build was done?

I reckon you should treat the engine and any ancilliaries to a lick of paint while you have it out.

I will keep the posts coming as the build unfolds :)

Much appreciated.....The twins make this car albeit not as efficient as the modern single. Whilst the turbo set up is on the bench Lee will be exploring manifold options hopefully to retain the existing twins but using modern materials for increased longevity. However the twin setup is quite unique being custom made but works really well, so hopefully the design can be replicated.....dont worry the bonnet bulge is here to stay :D

Your absolutely correct, the engine runs oversize 87mm HKS pistons having a rebore back when built, Lee will inspect the block and all being well deck it with fresh cross hatching and new set of HKS rings.

I will be taking advantage where I can whilst the engine is out, I know SRD intend to paint the block and any ancillaries not being replaced :cool:

I will keep the posts coming as the build unfolds :)

Much appreciated.....The twins make this car albeit not as efficient as the modern single. Whilst the turbo set up is on the bench Lee will be exploring manifold options hopefully to retain the existing twins but using modern materials for increased longevity. However the twin setup is quite unique being custom made but works really well, so hopefully the design can be replicated.....dont worry the bonnet bulge is here to stay :D

Your absolutely correct, the engine runs oversize 87mm HKS pistons having a rebore back when built, Lee will inspect the block and all being well deck it with fresh cross hatching and new set of HKS rings.

I will be taking advantage where I can whilst the engine is out, I know SRD intend to paint the block and any ancillaries not being replaced :cool:

I remember when Jurgen first advertised it all those years ago, it was obvious then that it was something special. Does it still have the under car aero? Can't remember the spec, but it certainly had some form of air channelling and I think a diffuser too. Seem to remember it having a pretty special brake setup too, Brembos I think, that were swapped for Ksports.

I remember when Jurgen first advertised it all those years ago, it was obvious then that it was something special. Does it still have the under car aero? Can't remember the spec, but it certainly had some form of air channelling and I think a diffuser too. Seem to remember it having a pretty special brake setup too, Brembos I think, that were swapped for Ksports.

No the aero was replaced with some custom SRD under pannels front and rear. That's right still running the 8 pot K Sports and U.K. Rears

attachment.php?attachmentid=230159&stc=1&d=1543525123

attachment.php?attachmentid=230160&stc=1&d=1543525123

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

Not sure if you're aware, but the original ad for when the car was imported is still on JM Imports page:

http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/index.php/1995-toyota-supra-rz-650ps-3-1-litre-built-by-front-row-japan-wangan-street-racer-340km-top-speed-6-speed-manual/

:cool:

No not seen that before........VERY COOL thanks :thumbs:. Interesting to see the original spec and photos

This is the first big power supra I saw up close and personal. I was buzzing after taking that video, I have a massive soft spot for this car. Awesome to see she has and will be well looked after.

Nice find... was that at Austec? If so I was also their that day in the Do-Luck I believe!

Also LEE is that young Ashley in that vid as well :D

Awesome car!

I can’t see the pics in post one either, will try on the laptop and see if I can see them

Thanks mate :)

.....so confused RE the pics... I have just duplicated one pic on the first thread but uploaded to photobucket not via the club no idea what's going on here :blink:

Have reloaded first post using Photobucket.... seems to of resolved the issue?

Catching up on where SRD is at....Block split ready to cleaned, painted, decked with fresh cross hatching

Rods after speaking to Carrillo are their HKS/Carrillo Rods - These I will most likely replace with a set of their new Carrillo HD (Heavy Duty) range however with SRD having several in stock I look forward comparing a few of these side by side a bit later in the post.

Pistons will be kept being the HKS 87mm oversized early over engineered flat tops ones. The HKS pistons utalize the stock squirters so I will be ordering a new set of OEMs squirters.

HKS offer servicing parts for their pistons and SRD have ordered a new set of rings from them direct, the old rings are in great shape but it makes good sense to install a fresh set. I love HKS engineering the piston rings being Titanium Coated :cool:

The head was a 2014 Stage 3 SRD head with a port and polish, Brian Crower Valve Springs and Titanium retainers, HKS 272's and ARP bolts. This will be deep cleaned and off to the machine shop for new valve lapping and again I can only think it would make sense to have new valve steam seals as well as cam seals installed so is as new:)

Thanks for looking.

Nice to see these updates - this has always been a forum favourite of mine.

Are you planning on having the turbos re-worked at all? Different internals or suchlike? I've always been intrigued by this setup and wondered how it delivered vs a modern single (6466 or similar). :)

Nice to see these updates - this has always been a forum favourite of mine.

Are you planning on having the turbos re-worked at all? Different internals or suchlike? I've always been intrigued by this setup and wondered how it delivered vs a modern single (6466 or similar). :)

Thanks James, hopefully the rebuild will perform well and keep the car strong for another 20 years!

The turbo set up is quite unique and I would imagine something quite special back when it was built in 98/99 using 2x TD05s and a single wastegate! However compared to today's modern singles it is very much overshadowed in the way of performance, technology and cost.

The trouble with big twins on a 2jz is there twice is much heat, twice as much to work on and twice the cost but there is something majestic about the old girls and they can hold there own.

SRD are looking into reproducing the manifold in a more modern material as I didn't want to change it as simply it works well. The turbos had new internals back in 2015 but are currently Max'd at 97% duty... we might explore upgrades depending on what can be achieved with the manifold or a change of direction completely :search: