The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MISSFIRING & HOT OIL TEMP? mK4 . NAT.

herbiemercman

Hi Dudes, After 2 years and some 2,000 miles post my NAT conversion i have started experiencing cold starts just firing on 4 pots, the other 2 pots come in after 20 seconds and 1,000 rpm, the car then performs superbly, however when i do a bit of high speed stuff my oil temp is 130 deg.c. The thermostat on my oil cooler is factory set at 90 deg.c.

The water temp is normal and the exhaust tail pipe is as usual sooty, before and after a run.

With the current ambient being only 5 deg.c, and not 20 deg.c like in the summer months, then i am concerned.

Be great if you can give an opinion:

1. Do you think the cold start problem could point to the fueling "leaning out", a known cause of overheating?

2. Am i right in thinking that the "mapping" settings are not likely to move or drift off tune?

3. Could the temp guage have started reading high?

Any help will be well appreciated. Herbie.

What type of oil temperature gauge do you have. Is it a mechanical one or a cheap electronic one?

If the car has problem starting due to fuel changes, then you either have a sensor reporting falsely which is throwing off the ECU or your map has a bad cold start tune.

I assume you are using a greddy emanage? I have seen settings on these not remain consistent over time.

Thanks for info Mike, my car started normally this morning, i do not know why? however i drove sedately for 4 or 5 miles and the oil temp guage reached 115 deg.c. so i felt at the pipes to the oil cooler and they were nothing like that temp level, i even felt at the supply on the oil filter boss, at a guess i would say 80 deg.c max. I am not sure if the problem is the sender or the gauge so i am replacing both.

My local garage guy asked me this morning if the temperature sender was connected to the ECU? but i do not know, i am sure he will find out. I hope the Emanage is ok as the car has fantastic performance, and other members from past comments speak highly of them. Herbie.