The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it allowed?

ARPUS

I've just had a lot of restoration works completed on my UK spec and the car looks fantastic.

I'm going to post a written summary of the works, plus some photos.

The garage isn't an Official Club Business, so am I allowed to mention them by name?

Thanks,

Steve

It's all advertising in some form......it's always a contentious issue, Arpus is obviously more than happy with the work done and wants to show it and give credit to those that carried out the work. I have no issue with a detailed write up from any source as long as Arpus backs it up, although it would look better coming from him, to stop any ambiguity.

If you are a trader you could look at this specific thread in two ways.

1) they do what I do, they don't pay towards the forum they don't deserve any airtime/free advertising

2) they do what I do, but are the other end of the country and Arpus chose them partly because they were closer, I doubt I will lose customers to this lot, in fact more of these restoration/clean up threads might encourage others that are local to me to get theirs done.

2) might be a reach, but is 1) really that bad for business? I just want to see forum traffic and positive and interesting owner stories, but I appreciate behind the scenes there is a trader paying for advertising and a degree of forum exclusivity and that these recommendation threads can cause them to question that.

Agree , if Arpus is posting his own stuff and not making an advert for his mates garage to "help them out" get them further work?

I`m not a trader but know a few that are paying good money for their ads on the forum,

Guess we`ll have to see how the thread turns out then.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just had a lot of restoration works completed on my UK spec and the car looks fantastic.

I'm going to post a written summary of the works, plus some photos.

The garage isn't an Official Club Business, so am I allowed to mention them by name?

Thanks,

Steve

The garage that partly restored my Supra, would like official confirmation from a Moderator, that they can post the restoration story and photos on the Mk4 club website.

They will mention their garage by name.

I had never heard of the garage before I took the car to them and I didn't know anyone involved with the business.

If/when I get the official go-ahead, I'll pass the message on to them.

Thanks,

Steve

If its just photos and a write up of the work involved that will be fine.

Mentioning the garage is questionable and I would be inclined to say no.

So say I posted up a link to the full paint restoration of my Supra by KDS detailing, is that acceptable because the name is mentioned by me in my own thread? However, if a garage was to post up then not acceptable?

My advice to the OP is get them to send you the summary of work and post it up yourself. The world has gone mad if that's not allowed.

So say I posted up a link to the full paint restoration of my Supra by KDS detailing, is that acceptable because the name is mentioned by me in my own thread? However, if a garage was to post up then not acceptable?

My advice to the OP is get them to send you the summary of work and post it up yourself. The world has gone mad if that's not allowed.

/QUOTE]

I don't know how to post the garage's report myself, but I could always take my laptop to them and they could download it for me there.

I'm just waiting for a Moderator to advise me.

Edited by ARPUS (see edit history)

I would say crack on and post it up as they are simply helping you out by posting on your behalf using your user name/account.

Their name may be mentioned but it will not be an advert for them. It’s just a write up on the restoration of your car.

If you wanted to recommend a mechanic or garage on here I see no issues.

I would say crack on and post it up as they are simply helping you out by posting on your behalf using your user name/account.

Their name may be mentioned but it will not be an advert for them. It’s just a write up on the restoration of your car.

If you wanted to recommend a mechanic or garage on here I see no issues.

That's what I want a Moderator to confirm Mark.

The forum is here first and foremost for the benefit of its members. Members posting about a company that have done work on their Supra isn’t a problem as long as it doesnt read like a company advert but I’m personally a little sceptical that it is being written by the company itself. I’ll be interested to read the contents of the write up and reserve judgement for when I see it.

Whlist we like members to post about what they want we also have an obligation to our paying traders to monitor any companies who advertise and we deem to be circumventing the rules. I personally don’t see how a company can be objective about their own work.

The report is mainly a long list of the works done, with lots of photos.

There's a short introduction, explaining how they were recommended to me.

I'm extremely pleased with the work they did and they say I'm another happy customer.

It's more about whether I can mention their trading name.

I'll get them to post the report for me, within the next few days.

Edited by ARPUS (see edit history)

/QUOTE]

Think Tyson covers it nicely.

The forum is here first and foremost for the benefit of its members. Members posting about a company that have done work on their Supra isn’t a problem as long as it doesnt read like a company advert but I’m personally a little sceptical that it is being written by the company itself. I’ll be interested to read the contents of the write up and reserve judgement for when I see it.

Whlist we like members to post about what they want we also have an obligation to our paying traders to monitor any companies who advertise and we deem to be circumventing the rules. I personally don’t see how a company can be objective about their own work.

I fell foul of this situation 2 years back when i was praising what DR Jekyll had done to my NAT, i was well taken to task, the reason given was mentioning people who did NAT conversions and did not contribute any funds to the club, where the registered advertisers had to pay.

Eventually i just had to refer to the conversion guy as "A guy in Wales".

I am not really arsed about any of it, but the rules on this are vague. Herbie.