The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tt auto ecu

Mk4Gaz

It's for a friend, who's not a member on here.

He's had problems with o/d light flashing, no manu mode, trac light, and a few other things. He took the car to whifbitz, where Darren plugged another ecu in, and it fixed everything. Incidentally I had the same issue with mine a few months ago, and a new ecu cured mine.

He's sent his original ecu to a place in Portsmouth, recommended by whifbitz, but it's come back, and not all of the problems have been cured. So we're looking for a known good one, to replace his

Sorry to jump in on thread but I have same issues with mine.

Slip Cont Off & O/D off lights flashing. And no MANU mode.

Do you have details of the place Whifbitz recommended and costs they charge so I could try them before also looking for another ECU please?

It's a known issue that these original ecus are starting to go wonky. Apparently the capacitors are going bad inside.

To be honest, any TV repair shop should be able to diagnose and fix failed components, I don't know why whifbitz suggested using this company in Portsmouth?

No worries mate, I'll ask around a few local places.

I just would have preferred somewhere recommended by others to know that they have a good reputation rather than risk picking someone who makes my ECU worse, if you see what I mean.

I had a company look at mine but it couldn't identify any issues (but it's definitely playing up) also I got a spare ECU from ebay from a guy in Poland and I asked him if he'd look at my damaged one and he said it was impossible (for him) without the car being with it, so whilst sometimes it's a burnt/leaking capacitor I'm not sure it's always easy to trace (unless I've been unlucky in my choices).......so I too would appreciate any details of places tried whether successfully or not!

These flashing lights and gearbox related issues must stem from the same capacitors/area of the board, even that would be good to know if anyone manages to find out (when I sent mine off I had opened it up to check for obvious burnt out areas I had seen posted up on here, but I saw nothing obvious - backed up by the company's lack of progress?)

These guys were helpful and only charged return postage after unfruitful inspection, but didn't fit my issue. I did provide what info I could to him but I think there is little info out there re the Supra ECU?

"Dear Scott,

Please could you tell me which model this unit is from so I can do some research as there does not appear to be statically anything obvious.

I am assuming that this unit is controlling the engine and an automatic gearbox.

Regards,

Mike"

http://www.asapcomputers.co.uk

4 The Old Mill

Reading Road

Pangbourne

Berkshire

RG8 7HY

UK

These guys were helpful and only charged return postage after unfruitful inspection, but didn't fit my issue. I did provide what info I could to him but I think there is little info out there re the Supra ECU?

"Dear Scott,

Please could you tell me which model this unit is from so I can do some research as there does not appear to be statically anything obvious.

I am assuming that this unit is controlling the engine and an automatic gearbox.

Regards,

Mike"

4 The Old Mill

Reading Road

Pangbourne

Berkshire

RG8 7HY

UK

Might drop my ECU off to them as I have a problem where I can't select first or second with the gear stick. sometime on deceleration it will drop into gear momentarily

I still have my faulty ecu at home, so I think I'll whip the cover/s off, and see if there's anything obvious inside. That way we may be able to identify what components are potentially causing these issues.

I've been given details of a local company who are apparently very good with anything electronic related. I may have them look at my old unit, before suggesting the local lad to me tries his with them.

I don't know the details of this place in Portsmouth. I can probably find out, but I'm sure Darren at whifbitz would be happy to share it, if people wanted to try them out

Great, it would be good to build some knowledge or archive the problems in some way, as we won't be the last and a reliable repairer would be a good asset going forward.

For info there is a semi solid glue on the casing so it takes some teasing and/or a Stanley knife to break the covers seal once the screws are taken out.

Great, it would be good to build some knowledge or archive the problems in some way, as we won't be the last and a reliable repairer would be a good asset going forward.

For info there is a semi solid glue on the casing so it takes some teasing and/or a Stanley knife to break the covers seal once the screws are taken out.

I figured as much. I removed the screws from my casing, and found it was still stuck together quite firmly.

I'll have a play around with it, and update.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

"Dear Scott,

Regards,

Mike"

4 The Old Mill

Reading Road

Pangbourne

Berkshire

RG8 7HY

UK

Finally got round to messaging them as I am away for a week at the beginning of June so perfect time for them to have the ECU. Also means stealing the car will be a little more difficult while I am away.

Finally got round to messaging them as I am away for a week at the beginning of June so perfect time for them to have the ECU. Also means stealing the car will be a little more difficult while I am away.

Hope they find something obvious and fixable with yours as they didn't/couldn't with mine.

http://www.cmtelectronics.co.uk/contact.htm was another place I found that looked like it might be worth a try, a more personal 'one man band' type setup I think.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.