The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Camshafts

Fulcrum2000

Hi All

So I am struggling to find used or new camshafts anywhere for my rebuild, the best deal I have is over 500 quid on a set of stage 2 Brian Crower cams. Is there any gain to having these street cams whatsoever? I dont seem to have a choice as Toyota have discontinued theres and used ones are like rocking horse poo.

They're damaged from the spun bearing apparently and need replacing, they need replacing and I cant find stock, these are 'plug and play' apparently and work with all the normal parts of the engine, does that sound right? Also because of the bore damage its being bored out to plus one and having new forged pistons put in as well as a replacement crank, does that sound like a good way forward? I guess it will now be a 3.05litre or something..... Its TCB whose recommended this and people on here said they were the beans for a supplier but as I cant get new cams anyway do I have a choice?

Depending on how aggressive the camshafts are, you can get away with running 264's for example on factory valvetrain components (springs, retainers etc). However, 264 camshafts will change the volumetric efficiency of your engine at both the low/top end.

This change will affect your fueling requirements of the engine. You may find that the stock ECU handles the cams without much hiccup or you may find that it struggles to idle, cold starts etc. Once it's back together I'd get it on a dyno, or get an AFR meter and check that your aren't having any major fueling inconsistencies. Luckily, stock ECU runs rich, so you should have enough fueling headroom under boost with mild cams.

Hard to say without seeing but if the spun bearing did enough damage to take the cams out, then I'd make the assumption that the cam journals in the head are also fubared, which is much more of an issue than the cams. Maybe have that checked too.

Normally going one size up on pistons only increases displacement a touch so would not expect any running issues on factory ecu from this.

UK Spec should be the same as Euro/US Spec camshafts, in which case the following specs:

JSpec/ US spec

Intake lift (mm) 7.80/ 8.25

Intake duration (deg) 224 / 233

Intake Open BTDC (deg) 3 / 3

Intake Close ABDC (deg) 41 / 50

Intake Centre ATDC (deg) 109 / 113

Exh lift (mm) 8.4 / 8.4

Exh duration (deg) 236 / 236

Exh Open BBDC (deg) 52 / 52

Exh Close ATDC (deg) 4 / 4

Exh Centre (deg) 114 / 114

Overlap (deg) 7 / 7

You have a difference on intake side, but it's pretty minor. Physically you can bolt the cams in no problem, just be sure to check valve clearances.