The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Audi S5

formatzero

Can you budget stretch to the V6T? I'm sure these had the valve issues around the 80k+ miles. I haven't had a S5 but the S4 as I wanted 4 doors and the engine is soooo much nicer to drive with the S-Tronic. Brakes can be quite pricey too in comparison

I’ve a B7 S4 4.2 V8 just now. Fuel costs are nuts as I’m only getting about 260miles from a tank. Handles great and sounds even better. Takes about a litre of oil every 1000miles or so. Keep an eye on that but apart for that it’s been a good car. Quite laggy under 4000rpm so you need to spank it to get it to shift. Mine is stock with a custom cat back.

Cold start on the new exhaust but you get the idea.

Edited by tony tt (see edit history)

Obviously expensive to run but no more than Supra ? right or wrong.

I seem to get a disproportionately large number of 50/50 answers to questions wrong.

But I'd be very confident that the answer to your question would be "wrong". Oh so very "wrong".

One is a 25 year old design, revered for it's proven reliability.

And one is nothing of the sort!

But that's just my skewed opinion. I've little to no love nor respect for German engineering. And for no good reason really, having never owned a German car!

I seem to get a disproportionately large number of 50/50 answers to questions wrong.

But I'd be very confident that the answer to your question would be "wrong". Oh so very "wrong".

One is a 25 year old design, revered for it's proven reliability.

And one is nothing of the sort!

But that's just my skewed opinion. I've little to no love nor respect for German engineering. And for no good reason really, having never owned a German car!

Since I sold my Supra I’ve had two German cars. A 535d m sport with Hybrid turbos and a stage 3 map. Now my S4. Can’t fault either on reliability or comfort. Given the choice and circumstances to allow I’d obviously rather have a Supra in there as well somewhere.

Anyone had the 4.2 V8 S5 and can tell me what it's like to own regarding reliability,handling and maintenance.Obviously expensive to run but no more than Supra ? right or wrong.

I had a 2008 S5 for 5 years, other than servicing and a new AC pressure sensor and regas it wanted nothing. was a very reliable car.

Servicing was around 250-350 depending what it needed that was at Audi too.

As with all the FSI V8's audi make they sometimes suffer from Carbon issues but i can't say mine ever did. Or it didnt show symptoms.

Mine was also remapped with the miltek exhaust. Sounded lovely the triptronic was good, newer ones have the dual clutch but you lose the V8.

Only really got rid as i needed 4 doors with a new baby. So went to the B8 RS4, same engine pretty much.

https://www.carbonangel.co.uk/imagedump/S5/finese/background800.jpg

With handling to can tell it's a heavy car but i never tracked mine or did anything silly. Felt nice on some spirited drives however.

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

Had a shiny new S5 V6T it was a horrible boat it had ridiculous cabin noise from the silly tyre/wheel combo drove like a pig and made the supra seem Frugal.

Also had the 2.0T and the 3.0TDI bland bland bland

Currently on the S3 8V Facelift (Latest Model) its head and shoulders a better car both in daily driving and spirited driving and no doubt would be quicker than than our old S5.

Old V8 S5 can make a nice noise other than that wouldn't bother.

Also we had nothing but issues including 3 breakdowns with the A5 range would never get another A5/S5 terrible just terrible.

Lockie, Rob Wild had a cab so it may be worth a pm. He didn't keep it long, then again, he seldom does.

Can't say I am a big fan. Audis seem to lack that special touch for me. For rear seats would you not go Ford Mustang / BMW coupe / Jaguar XK / Mercedes Coupe / Older 911?

H.

• 2 weeks later...

Good suggestions Paul,as usual I cant make up my mind:D Was tempted by the four wheel drive as last year I didn't get the Z out so much as we had a lot of bad weather.My sons pal has a new Mustang and it looks and sounds great but rear wheel drive ,will be crazy in the snow and it's his daily !!:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The V8 itself will be fine, it's solid, but you might find other things giving problems, unlike the Supra which is pretty solid all over.

Regarding running costs, the tax for my B7 RS4 is £500 which is way more than the Supra. Fuel economy is about the same, about 220-240 miles on a tank of 98ron.

It's the modding costs with the Supra that get you. There are so many mods you can do, and they can easily add up to tens of thousands if you want to go that way and it's always a temptation.

There's hardly any mods you can do with the Audi, unless you want to supercharge it, so it does sort of save you money in that sense.