The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My experience with Hidden Performance Ltd. (HP2 Ltd.)

ben_harmer32

Please note the following are my own personal experiences. I am only sharing so people can see what I have been through and make an informed decision themselves.

On the 21st January 2018 I approached Hidden Performance Ltd. regarding an R34 Nissan Skyline that they had for sale with a blown engine. I emailed my requests to have the car completed to the spec I wanted. I received a quote which I agreed to and I promptly paid in full. (Please note I did not request any special prices or discounts, I emailed what I wanted and asked for a price) I then received an invoice that stated an estimated lead time of 5-7 weeks from commencement of project.

Work on the car began on the 23rd January 2018. After ordering the body kit online I was informed it would not be arriving until early March. This would delay the car slightly but I was told the painter would need it for 8 – 10 days to fit and paint the kit.

To go on the car I bought some 19” alloys which I had delivered to Hidden Performance. On the 4th March 2018 I received notification that the new wheels I had bought for the car would not fit as they were hitting on the suspension. I was informed that I’d need new smaller profile tyres and some spacers to get them to fit. This would be addressed once the body kit was fitted due to the wider arches and measurements needing to be taken.

On the 10th March 2018 the GTR body kit for the car arrived, I requested for it to be test fitted when it arrived (due to concerns around fitment as it’s all fiberglass and they never fit) but this did not happen.

On the 16th March 2018 I raised concerns that the bonnet pictured on the eBay site for the GTR body kit did not look the same as the bonnet on my car. I was told it was fine and would not be an issue.

On the 18th March 2018 the mechanical work was completed. My car was run in on your rolling road and the car was ready to go to the body shop.

On the 22nd March 2018 after chasing Hidden Performance for an update I was told that the car was at Sandwhich Body Repair Centre (the body shop they outsource the work to)to have the kit fitted and be painted. I was informed that the kit was of terrible quality but they would get it sorted.

I then received a message from Hidden Performance asking me to urgently call regarding the bonnet. Upon calling I was informed that the bonnet was too long and would not fit with the bumper (which I had raised as a concern previously and been told it was fine). After a conversation we decided to cut the OEM bonnet and weld to fit correctly.

Work on the body kit continued slowly. I would have had to chase Hidden Performance for updates and was constantly reminded about the bad quality of the kit and how much extra work was involved to fit it which I accepted. On the 5th April 2018 I was lead to believe it would only be a further week’s work to fit and smooth the kit.

On the 10th April 2018 Hidden Performance messaged me to tell me the kit was all on and the car was to be in primmer that day and would be in paint over the weekend.

On the 16th April 2018 I messaged Hidden Performance as I had not received any communication from. I got a reply stating the car was not in paint and that the painter was still adjusting the body kit. It was then stated Hidden Performance had bent over backwards to help me get the car done cheap as a favor. This is the first time this was mentioned to me, and as previously stated, I never asked for a discount or cheap work. I simply asked for a quote at the start and paid. I received an apology for the delays and it was stated the painter was behind on the project.

On the 18th April 2018 I was given the number to the painter at Sandwich Body Repair Centre. He would send me updates as and when he could but progress was still very slow. Hidden Performance informed me that James was working on my car roughly 4 hours a day as and when he could.

I received an update on the 27th April 2018. It stated my car was getting there slowly. I asked when it might be ready for paint. I was told there were still a few fiddly bits to do but I would see some real progress the following week.

On the 30th April 2018 I messaged the painter asking for an update. I raised my concerns that the car was a month overdue. He confirmed he was only working on it for 4 hours a day and that I had to bear with him as he was mainly working on it on his own with no assistance. He told me he had 3-4 days left of body work to do and that it should be in primer by next week.

Edited by ben_harmer32 (see edit history)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 10th May 2018 after asking for an update I received a message from the painters wife (and equal business partner) stating the painter could not handle the strain from myself and Hidden Performance and that I would need to message her for updates from now on.

I would get replies and a few pictures, but they would never commit to giving me a completion date.

On the 17th May 2018, after asking for an update, I received a message from the painter’s wife asking me to come down so they could show me the kit. She stated I didn’t know what they were dealing with and that she didn’t have time to message me updates. She also said to me to come down and collect my car if I did not think the vehicle would be up to standard. I immediately contacted Hidden Performance who told me they would sort it out.

The car continued to progress slowly. On the 24th May 2018 I received a message from the painter stating Hidden Performance was on his case and his wife wasn’t in the workshop that week. I was told that all going to plan the car would be painted the next week.

On the 28th May 2018 Hidden Performance messaged me stating the car was in the paint booth. I messaged the painter and asked about this and he informed me that he was still working on the bumpers and the car was not in the booth. I messaged Hidden Performance, I was informed they were mistaken about it being in the booth.

On the 30th May 2018 my main point of contact at Hidden Performance who had been over seeing my build messaged me to let me know that he was leaving Hidden Performance and starting a new company. This came as a shock to me but he assured me it would have no impact on my car as my deal was with the company.

I made contact with the other owner who confirmed he was now the sole owner of Hidden Performance after recent management restructuring. It was confirmed this would not impact on my car.

On the 31st May 2018 I received communication from the painter that the car was in primer and he sent me a video to confirm.

On the 5th June 2018 Hidden Performance emailed to state that paint work would be complete within 2 weeks.

On the 8th June 2018 a member of Hidden Performance went and test fitted my wheels with the new kit. It was discovered that they were never going to fit and that I would have to buy new ones.

On the 12th June 2018 I received a video update from the painter showing the bonnet, seals and rear lights in paint and lacquered.

I provisionally arranged to come up and collect the car on the 22nd June 2018. This was confirmed ok by Hidden Performance and the painter.

On the 19th June 2018 I received a message from the painter stating that when doing a big job like mine they cannot afford to turn way regular customers. He stated he had had a 2 day job in over the weekend. He said he had done a few bits on my car to push it along but it would not be finished in time for me to collect on the 22nd June 2018.

Upon hearing this I called Hidden Performance to get an actual completion date. I was told they would go there first thing the next morning. I stated I would be in training that day and would call them when I could.

On the 20th June 2018 I called Hidden Performance at 10am. They had not been to the paint shop as the painter was not in yet and that they were heading over in half an hour. I then called again at 12.30 on my next break and was told you still hadn’t been and would be heading over at 13.30. I called again at 14.30 but got no answer. At 15:00 I got a text saying one of Hidden’s employees was heading over to see the painter.

At 16:41 on the 20th June 2018 I received a message from the painter stating that if I wanted the car to be a priority it would cost an additional £5000. As soon as I received the message I panicked and called Hidden. The owner answered the phone in a very aggressive way. He informed me he did not need me ringing and bugging him all the time. He would not let me speak. I eventually managed to tell him about the demand for £5000 to prioritize my car and that this had panicked me. He told me he would look into it and get back to me that evening. I received no further communication.

On the 24th June 2018 at 22:30 I received a message from the painter stating my car would be in colour this week. I received another message at just gone midnight stating the car would be painted Tuesday all going to plan.

After seeking advice from Citizens Advice Bureau I wrote all the above into a letter and sent it to Hidden Performance on the 26th June 2018. I asked for the car to be completed ready to collect by the 6th July 2018.

On the 29th June 2018 I received an email response to my letter from the owner of Hidden stating he was “both surprised and disappointed that you felt it necessary to take this approach” and that he would reply as soon as he had time to read it and formulate a considered response. I never received a response.

The painter stayed in contact so I knew the car was progressing slowly. On the 23rd July 2018 I received a picture of the car almost complete with only a few items to put back on. I emailed Hidden Performance who had not been in contact with me since the 29th June 2018, stating the car was almost finished and could they sort out collecting. They replied stating they would liaise with the painter and get back to me as soon as. I received no communication.

On the 28th July 2018 I asked Hidden to collect my car from the painter in whatever state it was as no progress had been made since the 23rd. Home life meant I needed the car and could no longer wait.

On the 31st July 2018 Hidden went to collect my car to find the paint shop locked up and no one in. Despite several attempts all day by myself and Hidden we could not get hold of the painter.

Eventually on the 3rd August 2018 the car made it back to Hidden Performance. It was in a state. Dust from sanding covered the whole engine and interior. Passenger window switch had been broken, number of items hadn’t been refitted and it had running issues.

The above was sorted and the car was booked in for MOT on the 24th August 2018 with the plan to collect on the 28th. Unfortunately the car failed its MOT on rear brake pads and track rod ends. These were sourced and the car passed the following day with no advisories.

I collected the car on the 28th August 2018. There were a few items I wasn’t happy with after a quick look round. I noticed the washer bottle had been stuck on with duct tape, the electric window wasn’t working and fuse box lid was missing. Due to desperately needing the car I had to take it as is and get home.

I got the car home and after driving it around for a bit I noticed a number of serious issues. The idle was way too high and the car would stutter and try to stall every now and then. The tiptronic gearbox would not always change gear, eventually getting stuck in 3rd altogether. I emailed Hidden who asked me to do some further tests the next day. I got up early on the 29th August 2018 and went to start the car. It would fire up but then immediately stall. The car was returned to Hidden Performance on the back of an AA lorry.

Hidden looked the car over on the 2nd September and confirmed the issues. I sent them a list of things to sort, including the window switch, missing fuse box lid and washer bottle. They agreed they would sort most the issues but that I would have to pay to sort the gearbox issue.

I called citizens advice bureau who linked me to a website for the consumers rights act. This clearly stated the car needed to be fit for purpose and it was there legal requirement to fix the car. I sent this to Hidden. I received no communication and was getting ready to take legal action, then on the 7th September 2018 I got an email stating everything had been resolved and the car was now fit for purpose and ready to collect. I arranged to collect the car on the 14th September 2018. All issues were resolved.

On the 20th September 2018 I noticed I was getting a noise from the cam area. I posted a video on the owners club and they are fairly certain it’s the cam belt is too tight. I also found an exhaust leak as I have 2 out of 6 bolts missing on the back of my turbo elbow. I sent a message to Hidden with the videos on the 24th September 2018. They responded saying the bolts were an over site and that the noise sounds more like a water pump (which is brand new?) or AC compressor (air con isn’t on).

I have had the car looked at by another tuning company and it is coming from the cam belt area.

I am also still waiting on a final invoice which I have been promised this week!

If you made it this far I thank you for reading my post and apologies for the length of it. This whole experience has been extremely stressful for me and is one I will never repeat. I just want to confirm this is my own personal experience only.

Edited by ben_harmer32 (see edit history)

Is the third sentence in telling re paid in advance, so the shop is quids in then focusses on more money generating work whilst yours goes on the back burner for when there is down time? Sounds like it!

Then a vicious circle follows if the cashflow of the company gets tight (or owners get greedy) as to carry on they get new work, yours benefits them in no way at this point.

I have no personal experience but I suspect a shop that doesn't do any/much accident repair work would be better as it's a production line of pre and booth and a shorter turnaround, but then I suspect not many bodyshops can survive on repaints/refreshes along and that accident repair is a mainstay for most?

Nasty story, sounds mega stressful mate!. Hope you get it sorted . Maybe Chris Wilson is the man to sort the engine issues out if you are needing it assessing?

I would not be paying ANY final invoice. Certainly needs a professional opinion then you can have enough ammo to dispute any further payments due to XY and Z

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare for all involved tbh, I can understand the painter putting it on the back burner if it was a difficult job getting the bodykit to fit that wasn't going to net him the same return on his time as his other jobs. I used to work in a spraying factory (not cars) and they'd delay rubbish jobs fairly regularly if there were more profitable ones at hand. That said, he shouldn't have given you a time estimate until he'd seen the job as aftermarket kits never fit perfectly and the garage definitely should have checked fitment.

That sucks :(

It has not been a very good experience at all :(

Sounds awful.

I know a lot of bodyshops arn’t the best of keeping dates and communication but that is a joke. Even tho the car is out sourced for the bodywork, Hidden Performance still should of taken some responsibility.

I have questioned that many times and always been given the answer it was out of there control. Granted they don’t own the body shop but surely you wouldn’t let an out sourced company mess one of your customers around without some kind of action?

I was even told at one point if it wasn’t ready by said date they would pull it out and take it elsewhere. But again, this never happened.

Chasing the painter was pretty much left up to me in the end.

Nasty story, sounds mega stressful mate!. Hope you get it sorted . Maybe Chris Wilson is the man to sort the engine issues out if you are needing it assessing?

I would not be paying ANY final invoice. Certainly needs a professional opinion then you can have enough ammo to dispute any further payments due to XY and Z

This is my main concern now, what else has been missed accidently. A few bolts on the exhaust or something a lot more serious. I have had a lot of work done on the engine and it does hugely concern me.

The final invoice is literally just a list of everything I have paid for. I made all payments at thr beginning of the build or when requesting extra bits along the way. I do not owe them anymore money. It’s just frustrating I am now going to have to pay someone else to sort what should not be an issue in the first place. Then I will be needing to take them to court to reclaim the costs.

Jeez, stressful! How have you stayed calm with them?

A few of my close friends who have been there throughout all of this for me have asked that many times. I have never once been aggressive or threatening. It’s just my nature, probably not always a good thing as people tend to walk all over me lol

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare for all involved tbh, I can understand the painter putting it on the back burner if it was a difficult job getting the bodykit to fit that wasn't going to net him the same return on his time as his other jobs. I used to work in a spraying factory (not cars) and they'd delay rubbish jobs fairly regularly if there were more profitable ones at hand. That said, he shouldn't have given you a time estimate until he'd seen the job as aftermarket kits never fit perfectly and the garage definitely should have checked fitment.

I took this into account. It frustrated me more once it was painted and was just left to sat when all it needed doing was putting back together. But then to have my freshly cleaned engine bay, all the interior covered in dust. Paint on my dash in places. It’s just not an acceptable way to treat a customers car. Hidden said they were going to do full valet on it but I’m certain this was just a quick rush job before I collected. If I take of the engine cover it’s still covered in dust. As are the back seats.

What a ballache ..maybe that's why the 2 owners split up if the company was running like that?

I'm due to get work done by the person who left and set up his own place... Fingers crossed

I was never told the reasons why they split.

I feel this is an unfair judgment on the remaining staff at hidden. The person who you bought the car from was the same person that was to manage the project and recommended his painter to use.

When that person left the company due to his dubious behaviour, he dumped this mess on the remaining staff. think that the remaining at hidden has actually helped you as much as they could. Now it’s no wonder why they now they don’t want to help you any further as you have blasted them not only on here but other sites ect. It’s a shame as you mates with a person that has ripped you off many a times but when people are actually trying to do something for you to help you out you do this. Just my thoughts

I feel this is an unfair judgment on the remaining staff at hidden. The person who you bought the car from was the same person that was to manage the project and recommended his painter to use.

When that person left the company due to his dubious behaviour, he dumped this mess on the remaining staff. think that the remaining at hidden has actually helped you as much as they could. Now it’s no wonder why they now they don’t want to help you any further as you have blasted them not only on here but other sites ect. It’s a shame as you mates with a person that has ripped you off many a times but when people are actually trying to do something for you to help you out you do this. Just my thoughts

You seem to know more then what then Ben knows so if you know more then divulge it..........

This sort of thing grinds my gears. His contract is with Hidden performance, not this bloke who's no longer with the company.

Trying to place all the blame on a guy who no longer works there and then saying the company (who has the contract to do the job) has done all they can and is a super duper company all whilst trying to wash their hands is complete bollocks to put it lightly. Sort out their mess not palm it off.

As for blasting them? All he's put is the chronological order of events, he'd not being malice or angry IMO. if the truth is considered "blasting" perhaps they need to look into their service more.

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

No, the contract is with the company, regardless of who leaves or starts working there, it is the company.

it is as simple as that.

This sort of thing grinds my gears. His contract is with Hidden performance, not this bloke who's no longer with the company.

Trying to place all the blame on a guy who no longer works there and then saying the company (who has the contract to do the job) has done all they can and is a super duper company all whilst trying to wash their hands is complete bollocks to put it lightly. Sort out their mess not palm it off.

I couldn’t of put it better myself.

If this guy was an equal partner or an employee in the company, the contract to carry out the works is with Hidden Performance and their responsibility. I understand this sole person has not managed or supervised the works correctly, then has just upped and left has put Hidden Performance in a bad situation but it is still there responsibility to resolve.

Where did he "blast" the company? It seemed he just ordered the events... As others have said its a contract with the company, one director left the company in May and it doesn't matter what mess he made the onus is on the company to fulfil the contract.

Edited by TuneR (see edit history)

It reads like you could do with an arbitrator to step in who can negotiate an acceptable route and time frame to completion which may involve additional costs to you to compensate for extra time taken to fit a body kit or extraction with compensation. Or, you could just take your car back now and take legal action for compensation which may or may not be successful. Even if you gain a court order you still need to extract payment and there may not be the funds available to settle a court order.

This is a company in some amount of turmoil!

13 Mar 2018 First Gazette notice for compulsory strike-off

14 Mar 2018 Compulsory strike-off action has been discontinued

04 Jun 2018 Previous accounting period extended from 31 December 2017 to 30 April 2018

Reading between the lines something unlawful could have occurred to provoke a compulsory strike of action. With this level of churn, it would not be unusual for the company to lose a bit of customer focus and it indicates a fragility in the company that could mean you lose the commission completely and then have the paint company holding onto your car pending additional payment should any money be owed them. I'd extract myself and my car from the situation as quickly as possible.

PS - As an additional note, extending the accounting period can be done for many reasons. It can be to fit in with the tax year but this date doesn't do that. Or it can be because the accounts are in disarray and need extra time to 'work out'. Or it can be delaying when a company goes bump to grab as much tax and VAT and customer money before going bump. The company is now not required to file accounts until January 2019.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

This is just you trying to put your digs and 2p worth in where its not wanted all because you still have a problem with someone he knows and actually has nothing to do with what’s going on here...

No, the contract is with the company, regardless of who leaves or starts working there, it is the company.

it is as simple as that.

It’s more like he’s still wanting to put digs in about a certain friend of Ben’s!

Sounds like an awful situation all round.

Seems like you have been pretty fair with them although that experience of a garage outsourcing work to another painter is something I had with mine, maybe pretty common?

The work on mine wasn't done to a good enough standard and the interior & engine bay of mine was screwed with as well as being absolutely filthy.

Ultimately I got mine sorted without having to go down the legal route but I'd advise you to keep speaking to CAB.

This is just you trying to put your digs and 2p worth in where its not wanted all because you still have a problem with someone he knows and actually has nothing to do with what’s going on here...

It’s more like he’s still wanting to put digs in about a certain friend of Ben’s!

There’s no dig at Ben as he’s actually a friend of mine but I’m also friends with some of the lads that this project was dumped on them.

Just feel like maybe this could have been sorted without putting it up all over here that’s all, plus I am in titled to my own opinion as this is a forum and your very good at giving yours on other threads

I’m not going to get in a keyboard sesh it was just my thoughts on the situation, and I feel some thing had to be said as the lads up there was left in the s@;t house with this build.