The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uk Twin Turbo Supra

Guest HawkEye1

Sorry it has been a while but thought I would post an update and some pics. To recap, I bought a UK manual stock car - almost 1 owner with 76k miles - thats where the good news ended :-)

The car has been at a classic car restorer since November and is finally nearing completion. The underneath was far worse than even they anticipated once the underseal had been stripped off it was a case of spot the metal rather than spot the rust. There was also rust in almost every nook and cranny as the layers were peeled away. So the work has included:

- Stripping and cleaning underneath

- Cutting, fabricating and welding new sections

- Rustproofing, sealing and painting

- Waxoyling

Then came the bodywork. As there was so much rust, the lower sills needed welding and there was rust creeping around the boot lid etc. It was a case of all or nothing so I took the decision for a full window out respray which was just as well as there was rust under the front screen / rear screen and rear 3/4 glass panels. New parts for respray so far have included:

- new front screen and moulding

- new rear screen molding

- new rear bumper bar

- new 3/4 glass panels

- new badges

The garage have been slow (which I don't mind too much) but meticulous. It turns out silver code 199 actually has 5 different shades so they got the paint manufacturers to come out and take samples of the original paint to make up the correct original colour. I saw the car today for the first time in some daylight and it looks amazing. For the first time in 6 months I think I am genuinely excited about the car and the rest of the work that is needed. Wheels have also been stripped and repainted.

During the time the car has been away I have managed to source a full active spoiler set up as the one in the car has some parts missing, interior has been fully retrimmed and I have sourced most of the original new mechanical parts including suspension, air con rad, and various other bits including valve stem seals, timing belts and gaskets. My local Toyota dealer are brilliant and enthusiastic and were happy with me getting the parts at half the cost they would have charged and will only charge me a reduced labour rate to do the work.

I think I have gone past the point of counting pennies now, this car deserves to live again and be enjoyed. Hope you like the pics, I'll try and post more as the work progresses.

Sorry for the lots of pics - they are in time order so I hope the progress is clear.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some serious effort and money going into this car which is always good to see. There will be a lot of people running around in rusty Supra's that are completely unaware of that fact seeing the cars do hide their rust very well. Hopefully you'll love the end result and it'll be a keeper for you.

With all those new suspension parts going on you might want to finish off with a geometry tune up which is what I've arranged for my car in May following my own all new suspension set up. Feel free to PM me after mid-May if you want some feedback on how the geometry and handling set up day went.

Appreciate that rider thank you. Yes it is costing a fortune but there was no way I could no half a job so it was all in or all out. Even the garage were surprised where the rust was hiding. The owner didn’t think side windows needed to come out (trying to save me

money in a nice way) but I insisted to make sure the paint finish was perfect and there was rust lurking under them with no suggestion of it near or around them - I have had my eyes opened for sure.

Yes definitely agree with steering geometry, had this done on another car (not Supra) that drive ok but was transformed

after it. There is a place near Oxford I used that someone recommended and they were spot on, they do a lot for Lotus Car Clubs on cars that very steering sensitive- geometry set up is a fine art.

Wow I think this is a stark reminder to look past the shiny paint and look deeper. These cars are over 2 decades old now so rust is only going to become a bigger issue for cars that haven't had a rebuild.

Keep up the good work !

Just seen this.....top work.

Thanks Raven. Hopefully will get her back this week so will try and post more pics. Next job mechanical overhaul and then ready for summer.

Finally got the car back from paint and it looks great, good to see her shine again.

Fitted active aero spoiler I bought as one fitted to car has no blade. Still doesn’t deploy at speed but works on the button so not sure if speed sensor fault although no error codes showing and also new headlights and most of new interior.

After much deliberation over last 4 months, I have decided it is the right thing to move the car on. The restoration work cost substantially more than I anticipated and there was no half way measures in doing that work. During the time the car was away, other life events have happened including car opportunities and to spend another large some of money on mechnical overhaul work is not something I want to take on. I have been a bit up and down with this car and definitely feel it is the right time to move it on. I am not a mechanic although can do some things but for someone with mechanical know how this would be a great car to work on and it can be driven without any immediate remedial work.

I feel good for doing the hard work with the structural work as rot is what kills these cars so glad she will live on and someone else might take her to the next level. I have most of the parts recommended by Toyota all OEM including wheel bearings, timing belt, valve stem seal and air con rad. My plan would be to sell it honestly with the parts.

In trying to sell my auto, I met a guy in America called Tariq who might buy it. I told him about the manual and my plans and he said he would put the feelers out stateside. I believe he might have advertised it online which is not what I asked him to do as he said he knew people who imported rare RHD cars. Some of you may have seen it and whilst there is nothing wrong in trying to sell something for maximum money, this is not how I operate in terms of trying to make a quick few quid and I prefer to sell things honestly listing all the good and bad points and, given this is an usual car, for buyers to be able to speak with me and look me in the eye. Don’t want to be accused of bringing the good name of the forum into disrepute!

I’ll post some pics later and probably do an eBay ad in the next few days for sale with all the parts.

Looking very good but really sad to see a dedicated owner selling up (life must be better with a different car)

Seems ashame to sell it straight away without enjoying it at all (I think you know you wouldn’t want to part with it though then!)

I hope mine looks as good when it comes out of the windows out paint I have it booked in for

Sounds like this Tariq is a trader in the states?

Guest Budz86

Great work with that mate, shame to see it had all those issues but credit to you for putting them right. Car looks very clean and original now which only adds to the rarity! Waiting for a link to the sale thread [emoji6]

Thanks guys. I’ve enjoyed Supras but life moves on in different ways Mark as you know. Supras have been a big part of my car journey but my priorities have changed and I like cars to be perfect which means a lot more money (not all required). My goal was to save it from the scrapper and I feel I have done that. I am sure someone else can take it to the next level and enjoy it. Unfortunately you can only drive one car at a time and need to pragmatic about all the other costs involved.

Thanks Budz, hopefully will get an advert together today and post a link. I am a bit too honest but prefer a buyer to know everything upfront.

The car is now on eBay for anyone interested - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143175895309

Happy for people to discuss whatever they like of course - its a forum and I am sure the 'overpriced' debate might come up again which is fair enough but I'd appreciate no more private messages telling I am taking a 'big hit' please - I know :-)

Thanks Tyson and Annabelle,, agree with both. Asking price is a starting point so will see what happens with any offers etc

After all the money ploughed into the car you may as well get the new condenser fitted and a new clutch fitted. The condenser is labour heavy but the OEM clutch is really quite cheap to have done. Probably cost you £1k to get both sorted as a £37k car would benefit strongly in my opinion from being bad point empty.

Thanks rider, I have been considering exactly what you said. Going to chat about prices next week and might be something worth doing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.