The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uk Twin Turbo Supra

Guest HawkEye1

Ok so time for an update. This car needs more work than I expected. I took to Toyota who look after my Auto and, long story short, I was summoned to come back later that day. It has not been dry stored all the time and has rust on sills including a small hole developing in left rear sill area. All four wheels need entirely new suspension components and rustproofing has at some point been applied over rust possibly to mask it.

Either way, to get it to where I want it, it need a nut and bolt strip down and sandblasting before knowing what you are dealing with. My heart just isn’t in it to that level and I also took it out against my auto yesterday and never felt short changed by not swapping gears.

It’s an honest original car that needs rescuing and I don’t want to break it for parts. It also has now a 12 months MOT (with advisories) and Toyota did an oil and filter service.

I am going to advertise on a classic car website and see where that goes or put it into a classic car auction. Thought I’d post an update. At least I got to own a UK manual and auto if just for a short time

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a shame. Just goes to show even though the UK TT6 commands a lot of money it's still a UK car and will have the associated gremlins.

Littlenum from Performance at Hart can do underbody restorations for not a lot of money (IMO) It would be worth letting him take a look before writing the car off and selling.. you'd be sitting on a gold mine afterwards.

Mine has just recently had the same work done you can see the build thread in my signature.

Thanks Ric. Your Silver car looks amazing

I know it can be done and you’re right about values. I just don’t think my heart is in it to that level. You guys do some amazing things with your cars so I am sure it is not beyond repair. I’ve ironically just bought another classic (non

Supra) - that also needs a bit of work and decided that it should probably be my focus. My biggest problem is that I like things perfect and I want it done yesterday

That's a real shame mate. As Ric said though Littlenum has done a few refurbs underneath and mine is going in within a few montbd, albeit it's in very good condition thankfully. Worth dropping him a message, prices might surprise you and it'll be worth it in the end......

Yeah but I don’t have any regrets buying it and nor do I need to sell it but I’d like someone else to have an opportunity with it. I’m actually glad I bought it in a way and brought it to the mainland as it needed one of us enthusiasts to rescue it even if I don’t feel I am fully committed to making it concourse again, I’ll not make it any worse.

The advert is awaiting approval still but I’ll post a link when it is live.

Ah what a pain, wonder what the completely honest advert costs you :(

Thanks Scooter- best to be honest. Hopefully it will be rescued but I’ll look after her until then.

You would surely be better off spending some dosh on it and getting the work done; then selling it for what you paid plus costs. Although I think your advert is very honest indeed, it may struggle to sell needing such a lot of work.

I have to say fair play for being so honest and brutal on yourself! Very rare to see that. You're possibly exaggerating the true severity re extent of the work, many Supras needs restoring now mate. Honestly don't jump just yet, speak to Littlenum first and gauge cost before selling up.

Thanks Scooter- best to be honest. Hopefully it will be rescued but I’ll look after her until then.

I dont see the point in selling it, sure you made a slight error of judgement as it didnt turn out as you expected, I'd get it sorted and sit on it. Prices wont be going down, just see it as a longer term investment, if you can afford to. :thumbs:

I think he is hoping someone else will feel like this, sounds like with a auto in good shape and other projects his heart isn't in it.

If it was his only Supra I think he'd be more inclined to just get it done?

Fair enough, I just dont like the idea of taking a hit, if I'd have another it'd be a project car.

Neither would I! rock and a hard place on this one, shows it's a minefield for buyers, too much caution and you'll very likely miss out on cars, too little and you can be landed with immediate remedial work on top of the high prices.

I'm not sure how other classic car cycles have gone, but very few Supra's have undergone a renovation as such and yet the prices are soaring with most therefore needing some work.

Thanks for your comments, appreciate your support Greg especially.

All fair points, I have a lovely auto and my heart isn’t in it to that extent. However the comments about doing some work is fair and something I am considering if it doesn’t sell. I know myself and once I start I’d find it hard to stop.

I guess the sill corrosion and crap undersealing is not unexpected but most worrying especially when that’s just what I can see but could just be a case of taking some advice as you say. A little bit of an unknown territory for me but I appreciate most of you guys have been there with your extensive restorations so perhaps not as daunting.

It’s kind of a perfect storm for as I have a lovely auto Supra and a few months ago bought an BMW 840 which is a car I have always loved. The 840 needs a fair amount of work but nothing like this car including new fuel lines etc but all normal wear and tear on 20 year old car rather than restorative work or stripping down. I guess my heart feels like it is more towards the 840 than this manual car so a bit torn but perhaps it could be more of a long term project. I am also my own worse enemy in terms of wanting it perfect and it done tomorrow

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. Car is going to get restored OEM. I decided to bite the bullet. It has had an overhaul so far:

1. Wheels chemically stripped and repainted

2. Auto electrician- cat 1 alarm / OEM radio / wiring in third brake light.

3. Seats sent to retrimmers

4. 4 new matching performance tyres

5. Car currently having rust sorted including surface rust underneath. By virtue of having seats out, I have been able to lift up

the carpet and it is very clean.

6. Tank guard and exhaust pipe replaced.

7. Overhaul of air con unit and new buttons

8. New centre console and gearknob

9. Due to have new clutch/ suspension overhaul with OEM parts in the next month

10. New headlights to be fitted

11. Active Spoiler found online and to be fitted

Big thanks to Mark Blyth - amazingly supportive and helpful. Amazing forum and inspirational stories of other people’s cars is a privilege. Intriguing owing a UK auto and manual.

I can’t seem to upload more photos sadly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229753[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229755[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229756[/ATTACH]

Always good to see a Supra restoration in progress, maybe start up a project thread and keep us updated as the project progresses. As someone who has spent way too much money on renewing my car components and a rust bust I share the pain but its a process that'll deliver a great car and a great driving car.

Thanks Scooter and Rider, yes I’ll post pictures when I learn how to use the interweb! It will certainly be a journey but I am excited about it.

It's a journey we'll all have to/are undertaking if we end up in it for the long haul, only recently have Supra's entered into the restoration phase another testament to it's build quality especially compared to most cars of it's era.

I use a very old bit of software that Chris Wilson recommended to resize photos as that seems to be the usual barrier for us untechy ones? I think I do to 1024 x something and then they always come in under the upload limit.

• 2 months later...

Same database Tyson, DVLA in England same as NI.

Car has been with a body work restorer since Xmas. There were a lot more rust and holes once the underseal (that has been applied over rust) had been removed. It has been welded and re-protected and is awaiting a body respray.

The wheels have been redone, interior retrimmed and various electrical jobs sorted. This year is to sort it out mechanically with many new OEM parts to fit.

I’ll post some pictures when back from the body shop.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.