The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lets talk ethanol

Jellybean

To combat the 95 octane only available, I am fitting a flexi fuel sensor

Availability of ethanol is scarce here, either from a fuel store selling 1 litre bottles for a home ethanol powered fire or vp race M1

In terms of ratio to petrol (95), how many litres do you need?

The main aim is to reduce the risk of detonation. I currently use nf octane booster

I trying to verify if ethanol or water injection is more cost effective

The sensor still provides the benifit of fuel temperature either way

Is your fuel system compatible with ethanol? It’ll need mapped to deal with it being added as well. I’m sure there was an episode of Fifth Gear or something where they mythbusted all those octane boosters. It won’t be making much difference I reckon. If you just get your car mapped to run on 95 octane you won’t have to bother with additives at all :)

Is your fuel system compatible with ethanol? It’ll need mapped to deal with it being added as well. I’m sure there was an episode of Fifth Gear or something where they mythbusted all those octane boosters. It won’t be making much difference I reckon. If you just get your car mapped to run on 95 octane you won’t have to bother with additives at all :)

Yes to all the Q's , it is mapped for 95 octane

They never tested NF octane booster and based on the ECUTEK logs on track from a GTR, NF had better detonation protection than the 102 octane race fuel

Mk3 Supra GTE was also tested on the dyno here with and without NF , helped greatly with detonation

- - - Updated - - -

Yes to all the Q's , it is mapped for 95 octane

They never tested NF octane booster and based on the ECUTEK logs on track from a GTR, NF had better detonation protection than the 102 octane race fuel

Mk3 Supra GTE was also tested on the dyno here with and without NF , helped greatly with detonation

Found this on internet

"

When you mix 10 percent 113 octane ethanol with 85 octane gasoline it increases the octane two points to the normal 87 octane most consumers use. So the higher the ethanol content, the higher the octane. The octane rating for E15 (15% ethanol) is 88 octane and E85 (85% ethanol) is 108 octane.17 May 2016

Ethanol and Octane For Beginners - Minnesota BioFuels Association

https://mnbiofuels.org/media-mba/blog/item/1511-octane-and-ethanol-for-beginners"

I am not sure that the octane ratings are directly comparable to ours, but lets just say you want to run an equivalent of 99 Octane then you would need 20% Ethanol, that would mean you need 14 litres full tank ok fuel.

Might be worth ringing Lee @ SRD as he would be able to advise what ethanol content would give you the knock protection you require. I believe you can buy the similar stuff Lee used in Jazz's car off ebay in 98 litre boxes for £190

• 3 weeks later...

Do you even have an ecu capable of using the flex fuel sensor ? ( and then it will subsequently need tuned too )

VP M1 and ethanol are NOT remotely the same thing.

Ethanol is readily available, there's a place in Warrenpoint selling it and they can deliver all over ( for fireplaces.... ). Sadly not readily available from any pumps.

In order to make use of any ethanol, you're entire fuel system would need to be capable too, ie it will need to cope with potential water/filter issues and the additional flow needed.

Water injection by a mile will be the more cost effective and easiest to install....because you could do so without any additional tuning if it was purely for safety.