Registration N424FKJ

Manufacturer TOYOTA

Model SUPRA SZ (NON TURBO)

Body style Coupe

Year 1995

Transmission Manual

Fuel type Petrol

Engine size 3000

The car is actually a TT Auto and it's causing huge problems for me, i get quotes in the range of £1100-1200 on this if i manually put the in car as a 3 door RZ i get £770, but when i speak to said insurer to process this as soon as i give them registration they tell me there has been an error and they can no longer give me said quote. Sky wouldn't even quote me and flux wanted £1337 (29yrs old passed at 26 2 yr NCB, no accidents just canceled a policy early and lost 1 year of no claims) which is extortionate.

Part of me thought maybe someone changed it but for the costs of putting in a GTE and a autobox and the rest of the auto bits, surely it would of been cheaper and alot more logical to just buy the TT auto surely?

I brought the car from a club member and trust his knowledge of the car 100% the car came with the V62 and am currently awaiting a new V5 to maybe shed some light on whats going on, any information or advice would be hugely appreciated

Thanks Dan

Edited by Icsea (see edit history)

Why did the car come with a V62? Thats an application for a V5C. You should have received a V5C2 from the seller. I assume the logbook was lost? I'd expect the seller to have sorted that before sale.

Did you run it through HPI on VRM and VIN?

Assuming that adds up. What's the engine code on the VIN? GTE or GE?

It's likely to be as simple as the insurance companies not liking the difference between what the DVLA register says your car is vs what you say it is. If it's been recorded incorrectly then you will need to have the V5C updated with the DVLA.

"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

What did the HPI check show the car as being (model)? I assume the VRM and VIN from HPI match that of the car?

I find it odd that the car has been shown as something different since import. Invariably the previous owners would also have fallen foul of this, unless they just didn't bother notifying the insurance companies as to the discrepancy, as an NA will generally command a lower insurance premium?

Believe it or not i actually get a higher premium using the reg (£1100) then manually entering a RZ(£770), regarding the HPI it just says supra 3.0, the VIN and VRN both match up. I dont have much info on the previous owner as it was sold on behalf of him via a club member and i never met him, all i know is that he had a horrible taste in wheels. Regarding the V62 my HPI shows the car as 1 owner and i have paper work showing 2 previous owners, so all i can assume is he never bothered sending off for a new V5C.

Edited by Icsea (see edit history)

I have to confess I wouldn't of touched the car without a V5C being present. It wouldn't have been hard for the previous owner to get this and you have to ask as to why the previous owner didn't want his name attributed to the car.

It's likely to be a simple info error on the DVLA system. You'll just have to wait for the V5C to arrive and see what that says and move on from there.

Have you checked the stamped VIN on the bulkhead? It's on the firewall in line with the turbo.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - So the V5 has come through and its pretty bare bones but the VIN is there and its a JZA80, but i thought comparison sites used the DVLA database to pull the cars info when you typed your reg into them?

I'm guessing my best bet is to just ring up an insurer direct to avoid this?

• 1 month later...