The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

Had a really good day:

After registration we jumped straight in to the new Supra and spent about 30mims driving on the road

Few laps on the skid pan in a GT86

20min presentation on all the techy stuff which was quite interesting.

Hot lap (very hot) as a passenger with a professional taking you round. Then 20ish mins driving on the track.

Then a good lunch and leave when you want :)

lol are you on some sort of secrecy agreement!? How actually was it, what impressed or didn't, how was the GT86, how did the new Supra feel in comparison (especially if you drove your Mkiv down, it must be quite obvious the differences) would be good to know at least how impressed you were 1-10 etc.

I'm interpreting the basic facts of the day statement as not that impressed?

lol are you on some sort of secrecy agreement!? How actually was it, what impressed or didn't, how was the GT86, how did the new Supra feel in comparison (especially if you drove your Mkiv down, it must be quite obvious the differences) would be good to know at least how impressed you were 1-10 etc.

I'm interpreting the basic facts of the day statement as not that impressed?

I concur. Interested to hear what you really think.

Really good afternoon yesterday the mkv is very good well, balanced and punchy with good low down power.

It’s would be interesting to drive the z4 to feel the differences back to back.

For me it’s a no as it’s a 2 seater only (kids)

I would of spent all afternoon on the track given the chance!

It’s a great car performance wise. It doesn’t feel like a supra though. Interior is totally BMW and it feels like you’re sitting in one the whole time.

Looks great in person. Drives nice, much like my dads m240i as it’s got the same drivetrain. However the handling is much improved in comparison on the supra.

The first couple of iterations of the Supra were little more than Celicas with bigger engines and slightly different bodgwork. I guess the new Supra does a similar thing but with a different brands car.

Its actually growing on me quite a lot, though a new set of wheels and some custom interior bits would be necessary for me. Seems to be getting some very good reviews on its handling, and im sure the straight line performance is more than adequate for our roads.

On the money though. This has been nothing more than a marketing exercise and should never have had the iconic Supra name attached to it. Celica perhaps or even something new but definitely not Supra - you can't just slap a legendary name on the arse of a car and expect the world to accept it and not ask questions.

New supra dyno run at surrey rolling road seems the americans are also finding its making more power than Toyota have let on , going to be interesting when people start tuning it they wont hit the wall with manifold temps either as Toyota have water cooled it

On the money though. This has been nothing more than a marketing exercise and should never have had the iconic Supra name attached to it. Celica perhaps or even something new but definitely not Supra - you can't just slap a legendary name on the arse of a car and expect the world to accept it and not ask questions.

Agree with this. Honestly it doesn’t feel special at all. Which is really what Toyota should have done for their flagship sports car.

I have to say the test day was great but I couldn’t help but feel it was because they lacked confidence in their product that they even had the day. Anyone who knows the supra won’t buy one, anyone who wants a BMW will go buy a BMW. This car has literally no place in the market and all they’ve done is taint the brand

Funny how Toyota flew out many people and paid their expenses in return of an early favourable review. Then an independent review from Car Throttle comes out that did not have money behind it and it's so different.

I don't think anyone has denied that it would be a good car, it's just not a Supra.

Thanks to my nice local Toyota dealer I had the chance to spend some time behind the wheel of the new Supra yesterday.

I also took the opportunity and did some nice pictures of my MKIV and the A90 next to each other.

Will post more pictures within the next few days.

Regards, Herb

3CBC6A8F-2EC5-4DA0-93B2-F9B63B62A512.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone seen the new mid engined C8 Corvette! 0-60 in 2.8 secs, looks like a Lambo. 6.2 ltr V8, RWD!!

It's also going to have a RHD version sold here in the UK.

Certainly has more wow factor than the new Supra.

Yea much better proposition than the Zupra.

Until it gets to a corner at speed going on past Corvettes handling..!

That would not surprise me. However, I suspect the handling will be acceptable but not comparable with a 4 wheel drive car.

Has to have some trade offs being that it will cost around £70K.