The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

• 1 month later...
Someone should take a comparable car along to the test drive to see how well the Supra fares against something other than a giant peanut!

It does beg the question what is their marketing team thinking, Toyota want us to accept this as a serious sports car so we will make sure its first race is against the nut mobile?!

Also notice how the Zupra driver was shifting gears manually. Another great advertising job Toyota, even we know it's only currently available with a slush box.

I wasnt sure spending 60K on a Zupra was worth it at first but after watching this video I'm convinced i'll be buying an amazing machine :blink:

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

id imagine so - got an email last week saying test drives were being done in June along with a trackday

Been told by Toyota in London that I can test drive the Z4 being the same car. Apparently there will not be any official demonstrators.

That advert is embarrassing to say the least, why oh why would you have a pretend race against a 3 ton brick, why is the supra driver pretending to be shifting it manually and what the f**k has a peanut thingy got to do with the new zupra.

Although i like the look of the zupra i cant bring myself to like everything thats bmw underneath, bmws are boring af imo, all look the same

Toyota should have stopped at the mk4

Although i like the look of the zupra i cant bring myself to like everything thats bmw underneath, bmws are boring af imo, all look the same

Toyota should have stopped at the mk4

That's called design language... I can assure you they are good/rewarding to drive :)

I'm still unconvinced with this new MK5, interested to see what the aftermarket makes for it.

More excuses from Tetsuya Tada-San - https://jalopnik.com/why-the-2020-toyota-supra-has-a-bmw-inline-six-and-why-1834540861

To make the new Supra an all Toyota project would have pushed development back two or three years and possibly put the price tag over $100,000". Tads-San didn’t want that and while its $50,920 base price isn’t cheap, it’s still relatively attainable.

To make the car so expensive would defeat the purpose of a Toyota sports car, he said. He wanted the Supra to be something that normal humans could possibly afford if they worked for it. That’s why it doesn’t use exotic materials like carbon fibre.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Link added. (see edit history)

Been told by Toyota in London that I can test drive the Z4 being the same car. Apparently there will not be any official demonstrators.

I'm sure that will go down well with Toyota head office. Trying to do everything they can to say the Zupra is a different car to the Z4, only for Toyota dealers to offer no official dealership demonstrators and instead advise potential customers to test drive the Z4 if they want to know what it is like to drive.

Priceless.

Priceless.

Indeed, its like you pick the one that looks like the BMW or the one that's got a Toyota badge on! Im still curious to see how it stacks up against the M2 Competition, that's my current benchmark and oddly one that comes with a manual box.