The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

I went last month on a tour of the Morgan Car factory in Malvern. You get to walk through all the production centres starting off in the chassis centre where all the suspension parts are added to the frame. Morgan do make their own control arms, I saw them pressing in the bushes. The rest is bought in and the setup looked a pretty standard configuration. The Ford or BMW engines are fitted along with respectively a Ford or Getrag gearbox. Then onto the body and carpentry shops. This is where all the activity really is with craftsmen fettling and sculpting parts out of wood and aluminium. By far the most interesting part of the tour. Finally the body parts and rolling chassis with drive gear are joined and it's off to the paint shop (you aren't allowed in there). Then final interior and exterior trim fit and ready for sale.

I left the works thinking that Morgan Cars isn't actually a car company, its a coach builder.

No idea how it relates to the thread subject...but you might enjoy the recent Richard Hammond YouTube videos at the Morgan factory.

I'm giving serious thought to spending the savings and buying something more extravagant next year and it wouldn't be fair not to consider the Zupra.

At this price I'd also be looking at used 911's or a new Alpine A110 - both which won't fall in value much.

Pete, Chris W mentioned you might be considering an Aston too?

I find it hard to consider more expensive cars, due to partly inherent prudence but also it being hard to envisage what 'extra' I'm getting than the more older bargain range. I've not tried anything sporty more modern than the 2005 6 Series I've got, but that has opened my eyes a bit to other car qualities. Be interested in hearing what you think of the cars you try, and whether you end up going more sharp/nimble than more brute force/GT cruiser.

I don't understand this.

BMW Z4 M40i From £49,185

The 2.0l is a lot cheaper.

Just looking at Toyota and BMW UK and US pricing on their websites for a basic model, they do seem a little off unless I am missing something.

BMW Z4 UK Price Basic.png BMW Z4 UK £37,115 or $48,736.48

BMW Z4 USA Basic.png BMW Z4 USA $49,700 or £37,848.76

Toyota Supra UK Basic .png Toyota Supra UK £52,695 or $69,194.91

Toyota Supra USA Basic .png Toyota Supra USA $49,990 or £38,069.61

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Basic costs added in dual currency. (see edit history)

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but have you seen the MkV Supra Heritage Edition? 500hp and MkVI looks. They should have made the stock model more like this. I like many others hate the fact its basically a z4. I visited Japan in March on a driving holiday and by chance came across probably the first MkV 2JZ swapped drift car. He was testing at fuji speedway, we took a wrong turn at the track and discovered it. Couldn't believe my eyes!

Edited by James.
I cant spell (see edit history)

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but have you seen the MkV Supra Heritage Edition? 500hp and MkVI looks. They should have made the stock model more like this. I like many others hate the fact its basically a z4.

I get this feeling, but at the end of the day it is not a MK4, and tbh I think its quite insulting to Toyota design to roll out another car that just looks like the old, or tries to at least. Imagine if the MK4 did that with the MKIII - god help us all :D

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but have you seen the MkV Supra Heritage Edition? 500hp and MkVI looks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=234133&d=1576677909

It looks like Keron will be quids-in selling off his stock of unwanted OE MkIV boot spoilers to MkV owners who want to risk a black fingernail when closing the hatch?

FYI: EU sales stats.

Z4

July 984

August 567

September 1078

October 760

Zupra

July 128

August 183

September 195

October 225

Source:

http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/bmw/bmw-z4/

http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-supra/

MkV boot.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I don't understand this.

BMW Z4 M40i From £49,185

The 2.0l is a lot cheaper.

As a follow up, info taken from http://carsalesbase.com

BMW Z4 European Sales Figures.png BMW Z4 European Sales Figures

BMW Z4 USA Sales Figures.png BMW Z4 USA Sales Figures

Toyota MKV Supra European Sales Figures.png Toyota MKV Supra European Sales Figures

Toyota MKV Supra USA Sales Figures.png Toyota MKV Supra USA Sales Figures

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Fix attachments. (see edit history)

Snip.

Looks like we are using the same site, do you know if these figures pretty accurate?

EDIT

Just seen the photo :eek:

That spoiler fits the rear end of the car as well as OJ's glove did in court and those "Heritage" edition rear lights. This forum desperately needs a vomit emoji.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Post updated. (see edit history)

I couldn't know?

Nevertheless, the UK US price difference in denial, appears to influence the UK US sale difference without denial?

That price difference is the same for anything in US/UK - we just pay virtually the same price but they put a different £ / $ in front of it. Tax, supply and demand, market size and other factors play a part.

That price difference is the same for anything in US/UK - we just pay virtually the same price but they put a different £ / $ in front of it. Tax, supply and demand, market size and other factors play a part.

But that doesn't appear to be the case with the BMW/Zupr4m base model when bought in the UK. If buying a base model Zupr4 in the UK you can expect to pay £15,580 or $20,458.43 in comparison to the Z4. If buying in the USA the prices are a lot closer. $200 or £220.85 difference for the base model.

It can't be shipping costs because the fifth generation Zupr4 is assembled alongside the G29 BMW Z4 in Graz, Austria.

Something doesn't add up.

Also USA sales tax adds quite a bit.

15K's worth?

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

But that doesn't appear to be the case with the BMW/Zupr4m base model when bought in the UK. If buying a base model Zupr4 in the UK you can expect to pay £15,580 or $20,458.43 in comparison to the Z4. If buying in the USA the prices are a lot closer. $200 or £220.85 difference for the base model.

It can't be shipping costs because the fifth generation Zupr4 is assembled alongside the G29 BMW Z4 in Graz, Austria.

Interesting, maybe because theres more choice when it comes to the Z4 models? Where as the Supra is more limited in terms of choice/options? Also the Z4 also has the M2 in a similar price bracket to the Supra for a sports coupe.

Interesting, maybe because theres more choice when it comes to the Z4 models? Where as the Supra is more limited in terms of choice/options? Also the Z4 also has the M2 in a similar price bracket to the Supra for a sports coupe.

That is Zupr4 base model to Z4 base model. Apples to Apples comparison :)

This car has no heritage or connection to the rest of the family so my money is on Toyota riding on the coat-tails of previous marque. Their mini Nürburgring must have cost them a pretty penny so maybe they are trying to make some money back.

My hope is the MKV has been a marketing and funding exercise and that any MKVI will be a pure breed once again with Toyota doing it all in house.

15K's worth?

Not just sales tax of course. a far larger chunk would be VAT, dealer fees, profit, customs, import, transportation

Most of the extra is taxing people who want the supra name however.