The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

The mkiv was £44k ish in 94 akin to about 80k ish now. So it was an expensive car back then and no way could Toyota compete in that market with any Supra. Let's face it the Lexus people want as the next Supra is over 100k.

Only one flaw in your statement is that Nissan managed to bring the R35 out at around 70 grand and that is a great car.

If Toyota wanted to they should of used the development from LFA to produce a supra not only that it would of helped them recoup there losses on the development of that car.

But in all reality Toyota have lost there way the range of cars built in the 80,s and 90,s was brilliant look at them now building cars like that damn prius

- - - Updated - - -

The mkiv was £44k ish in 94 akin to about 80k ish now. So it was an expensive car back then and no way could Toyota compete in that market with any Supra. Let's face it the Lexus people want as the next Supra is over 100k.

Only one flaw in your statement is that Nissan managed to bring the R35 out at around 70 grand and that is a great car.

If Toyota wanted to they should of used the development from LFA to produce a supra not only that it would of helped them recoup there losses on the development of that car.

But in all reality Toyota have lost there way the range of cars built in the 80,s and 90,s was brilliant look at them now building cars like that damn prius

But you can understand why Nissan to this day still wont say if the R35 if profitable , many car journalists say the production costs of something so technical and all that time with it in the wind tunnel is not cheap they would have to be sold at around 140k to make profit which kind of makes sense when you see the price of a car that every part has been built from scratch with that much tech, the only thing that might of saved the day the r35 is a hit although I remember when it first came out it was slagged off to death on the gtr forum people saying its not a skyline and its ugly and the last real gtr was a r34 that all seems long forgotten about now.

Some sort of aerotop model would be cool but doubt it will happen

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Not sure if I want to like this car or not. Like everyone on here, having a close affinity to the mkiv, I wished for a great mkv. This car doesn't appear to be great.

First impressions are that it looks like a re-skinned Z4 (because it is), with the current fashion of needless bolt-on fussy body work. Looks awkward in the photos, but maybe better in the flesh? My current fun car is a Lotus Evora, which I think looks a bit challenged in photos. However, in the flesh I believe is a very well proportioned, good looking car that never fails to get positive comments - a mini supercar that often gets mistaken for a Ferrari or Lambo by those that don't 'know' cars. Hope for the mkv? Perhaps. I think it could look OK in lairy yellow, with a BGW, some better wheels and something done with the bumpers.

Interior. Anodyne, dreary BMW. No hiding from it. My daily driver is a BMW, and whilst it is OK, has very little excitement factor and is lower quality than a Lexus. But the mkv is a 'Toyota' and not a Lexus. ;) It would have to be put up with.

How will it perform and drive? ..... Probably better than most mkivs. I loved my mkivs, but times move on, and this will likely handle much better. The relative 'low' power of the launch car would probably beat a BPU mkiv in all situations. I imagine a remapped mkv would probably beat single mkivs in situations other than a rolling drag. Real world, probably a better car. (But not a legend).

If I had 50k, would I buy one? No. I never buy new cars any way, but the mkv has a whole hint of 'meh' about it. It had impossible expectations to follow. I think the Toyota/Lexus positions are slightly changed from the early 90's. A Toyota can not be perceived to be as good as a Lexus nowadays, whereas back then Lexus were more concentrated on the luxury cruisers and stronger Toyota sports cars could exist.

The Mk4 TT Supra UK Supra was ~£37,500 in '94,

Today, a Mk4 Supra would cost you (adjusted for inflation) almost £76k new.

The new car is "52/54K so a good chunk cheaper. It;s also light (by modern standards) which is a good thing!

The market is awash with many 1700KG+ big power cars, the MKV is going after the handling "agility" category.

Also people complaining about it being "not up to scratch if it needs mods". Erm, what is the MK4 most famous for again? Being the tuner car of choice!

The mk5 is not a direct replacement as the market has moved on but I think it is a worthy successor.

The Mk4 TT Supra UK Supra was ~£37,500 in '94,

Today, a Mk4 Supra would cost you (adjusted for inflation) almost £76k new.

The new car is "52/54K so a good chunk cheaper. It;s also light (by modern standards) which is a good thing!

The market is awash with many 1700KG+ big power cars, the MKV is going after the handling "agility" category.

Also people complaining about it being "not up to scratch if it needs mods". Erm, what is the MK4 most famous for again? Being the tuner car of choice!

The mk5 is not a direct replacement as the market has moved on but I think it is a worthy successor.

Yes but back in the day the supra mk4 was in the league of Ferraris etc.. now its in the league of a golf r or mid range bmw.. leave the nimble, underpowered handling cars to honda.. in no way has this improved on the mk4.. its a step back if you ask me

Yes but back in the day the supra mk4 was in the league of Ferraris etc.. now its in the league of a golf r or mid range bmw.. leave the nimble, underpowered handling cars to honda.. in no way has this improved on the mk4.. its a step back if you ask me

I think the likelihood of toyota making a ferrari rival in 2019 was slim.

Lexus aren't even considered that.

Hell look at the new NSX, been received poorly. I test drove one of those last week, it's a good car but again lots of online hate.

Strange.

Edited by NathWraith (see edit history)

I think the likely hood of toyota making a ferrari rival in 2019 was slim.

Lexus aren't even considered that.

Hell look at the new NSX, been received poorly. I test drove one of those last week, it's a good car but again lots of online hate.

Strange.

Yes i know what you mean, alot of 90s revived cars get alot of hate because the 90s jdm motors were at the forefront of engineering in my eyes, but these days its all about emissions and health and safety and penny pinching companys

Weak argument, the car had 320 hp, 26 years ago, only reason it was modded was due to the small outlay to get an extra 100 hp but 26 years ago, nobody was buying the car with the intention to modify it, no need to

Toyota could of put any badge on the car, arguing the new model is a Supra just because Toyota said it is, idiotic, It's a BMW Z4 with a different body, nothing about the car shares any heritage with any Supra model

Nobody is saying the New Supra is a bad car, I am sure it is fantastic to drive, but people have an issue associating with the Supra

Weak argument, the car had 320 hp, 26 years ago, only reason it was modded was due to the small outlay to get an extra 100 hp but 26 years ago, nobody was buying the car with the intention to modify it, no need to

Toyota could of put any badge on the car, arguing the new model is a Supra just because Toyota said it is, idiotic, It's a BMW Z4 with a different body, nothing about the car shares any heritage with any Supra model

Nobody is saying the New Supra is a bad car, I am sure it is fantastic to drive, but people have an issue associating with the Supra

/QUOTE]

I have to agree here. You wouldn’t have needed to modify the mkiv on release. Obviously over time, as with any car you would but online all I can see is people justifying its existence purely on the act it can be modded... that’s sad.

Should have been called the Celica or something.

Flagship worthy? Nope

I have to agree here. You wouldn’t have needed to modify the mkiv on release. Obviously over time, as with any car you would but online all I can see is people justifying its existence purely on the act it can be modded... that’s sad.

Should have been called the Celica or something.

Flagship worthy? Nope

I will be shocked if the B58 can handle a high jump in power

Isn't the manifold, a critical component cast into the head, requiring a completely different head to add the supporting modifications for a power increase

I will be shocked if the B58 can handle a high jump in power

Isn't the manifold, a critical component cast into the head, requiring a completely different head to add the supporting modifications for a power increase

/QUOTE]

a friend of mine has a M140 which has the b58 engine in it and it runs 478hp, i think downpipes and map is all he has done

Warranty (possibly)

I’m sure the new supra is going to be a good car, but surely it wouldn’t have been an issue to supply them with 400hp from factory.

Except that it is, entirely because BMW wouldn't allow them to sell with the same map as the Z4 M40i. This is the biggest piece of evidence that Toyota haven't had anywhere near the level of input they are claiming.

Litchfield stage 1 just a map 435hp https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/01/74.jpg stage 2 with map and exhaust and filter 450hp and 440 ft of torque https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/01/75.jpg people saying about warranty I don't think many r35 stay standard longer than a week and I doubt these will espically if its just stage 1 and the map can be put back:innocent:

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Except that it is, entirely because BMW wouldn't allow them to sell with the same map as the Z4 M40i. This is the biggest piece of evidence that Toyota haven't had anywhere near the level of input they are claiming.

This. I mean there’s evidence enough it’s a reshelled Z4 and nothing more but this is the elephant in the room that no one wants to address when defending it.

BMW even came out with a statement on the day the supra was released saying their car is quicker!

Toyota are under the thumb in this deal.... an equal partnership, this isn’t

This. I mean there’s evidence enough it’s a reshelled Z4 and nothing more but this is the elephant in the room that no one wants to address when defending it.

BMW even came out with a statement on the day the supra was released saying their car is quicker!

Toyota are under the thumb in this deal.... an equal partnership, this isn’t

Indeed, probably even be better off getting it serviced at BMW!

a friend of mine has a M140 which has the b58 engine in it and it runs 478hp, i think downpipes and map is all he has done

Appears the Manifold is cast into the head on the Supra version B58C (turbo 6 cylinder) ( BMW Z4 engine ??) , for the Supra BMW revised the turbo manifold design and is water-cooling the manifold

Sounds like an expensive exercise to go beyond bolt on upgrades , swapping engines will potentially be cheaper but you will have to sacrifice the 50/50 weight distribution ; makes it pointless

Timing Chain at the rear against the firewall , engine out of you have issues ; did BMW every fix the Tensioner issue, failing , resulting in an expensive engine out to replace?

Due to the small wheel base , I do not think I would fancy anything more than what the car has now

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)