The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

I've just seen the spy shots of the very BMW interior of the car from Goodwood. Can't say I'm impressed. They should have stuck with the wrap around dash.

The car seems very generic and bland. I hope those who went this evening can report back with some more promising news?

interior was in camo/unfinished state and they said it would have separate unveiling. Also the car itself will be built in Austria on a joint production line with Z4 but will have different configuration for handling and such like.

Personally, I've been so disappointed at this new iteration. It was quite okay as the FT-1 but now it looks like a next gen BMW Z4. I've had my name down for a test drive at my local Toyota dealership for nearly a year, I was that keen on getting one I saved quite some £££££ for it :(

I really do hope that the feedback from the lucky people that get to see it up close is positive!

It looks like a 2 seater from looking at the room behind the seats (just a boot blind unless that is camouflage too) so that rules me out. they are not letting much go this one had valves/flaps in the rear tail pipes and sounded good on the over run. I did expect a far more powerful gtr competitor but we all know it’s not going to be.

Really good night though meeting friends of new and old.

Toyota GB were very impressed with my car too!

5B104B41-B3D6-48B9-8DD1-0313ADC29800.jpeg

interior was in camo/unfinished state and they said it would have separate unveiling. Also the car itself will be built in Austria on a joint production line with Z4 but will have different configuration for handling and such like.

/QUOTE]

I very much doubt the interior will change that much from what was there last night and at Goodwood. Whilst covered the main structure and layout is there. The only changes might be to the main binnicle and trim finishes.

This new Supra voyage has been one of predictable disappointment. What we want vs what Toyota are now willing to build are very different.

Unless some of the people who have seen it and spoke to Toyota can provide some glimmer of hope surrounding it's performance I suspect their silence is due to disappointment. Did Toyota ask for any feedback?

I asked if what we were seeing is pretty much a production car (it looked finished) the reply was yes.

Tbh the gt86 with a super charger is more tempting as you can buy a manual.

I will take a test drive when it comes out but think I will be uninspired but you never know I don’t know if toyota have designed the a90 and bmw are using the platform or the other way round (toyota claim it’s their development)

They were not going to unveil a new car to a few hundred people and allow cameras were they, it was for them to obtain pictures for the build up to the release next year.

It looks like a 2 seater from looking at the room behind the seats (just a boot blind unless that is camouflage too) so that rules me out. they are not letting much go this one had valves/flaps in the rear tail pipes and sounded good on the over run. I did expect a far more powerful gtr competitor but we all know it’s not going to be.

Really good night though meeting friends of new and old.

Toyota GB were very impressed with my car too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228225[/ATTACH]

It is a 2 seater I ask ToyotaGB and they confirmed that which is a big no for me too

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Not my cup of tea at the moment, I’ll hold final judgement once it’s officially revealed by Toyota. I’ll stick to my GT86 and wack a turbo on it, will be similar performance circa 340bhp (if the rumoured figures are correct for the new supra) but the GT86 is 1200kg so a little lighter aswell.

I'm going to reserve judgement until its actual release, its another 6-8 months before it actually goes on sale, as we know lots can change in that sort of time in terms of power, looks and trim. Yes Toyota are saying this is the production model (the chassis and basic design may be) but if Toyota were 100% serious in keeping certain aspects of the car the same (such as the bodywork) there would be no need to put it in camo...I cant help but think Toyota are doing this soft unveil to gauge their market, its been almost 20 years since the last MKIV rolled off the line, since then Toyota have been making generic boxes and I include the GT86 in that, it is just OK, its not something to shout about. I feel they are uncertain which route to take with the car, should it be shouty and loud and with fins and wings, or should it be a bit more subtle etc.

From the feedback so far on Toyota UK Facebook etc, the general consensus is that the car looks bland/weak compared to the FT1 concept and the Gazoo racing version released not a few months ago. The thing is its hard to tell when its in the camo, the lines, details and features are very hard to make out even in the flesh. Power wise I have heard its between 340-380hp depending on where you hear the info however the general consensus it should be around 400-450bhp.. bodywork and engine power (Especially turbocharged which this will be if its using a new BMW engine) can be changed easily.

When I first saw it in Camo I must admit I was disappointed too, I was expecting to see something reminiscent of the MKIV with a mashup of their current design (like the FT1). From as far as I know they only have a few of these demo camo cars, I don't think they have settled on the final look exterior wise or at least what options you are going to be given to make it how you want (remember the MKIV without the skirts, spats, lips & spoiler etc was pretty bland looking). We don't even know if there are going to be a choice of engines etc, agreed they have said it will be an inline 6 with RWD and the power is around 340bhp but who knows, that statement could be the basic entry engine something like a 2.5 Turbo, They may offer a larger capacity inline 6 engine with 500bhp...

I do agree that Toyota have messed up this release, what with the drawings, popping up and teasing a "new Supra" for at least 5 years. They have hyped it up to the point where people expectations for this car are very high, IMO they are scared they wont be able to live up to the hype they have created and therefore are doing this softly softly launch to change last moment things which will address the major issues before release.

Put it this way, if they really mess up this car, our cars will be worth more as the last Iconic Toyota carring the Supra name.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

They should be scared. They put the FT-1 out, which looked like a genuine halo car and potential GTR competitor and now we've got something more akin to an MX5 doing the hill climb at Goodwood. It's not as if Toyota group aren't doing anything good either, the LC-F concept is what the Supra should be sharing a platform with. Hell, even the RC-F is better than what we've seen this week. Lexus are allegedly working on a twin turbo v8 for their top end cars, while Toyota are borrowing off BMW. How hard would it have been to put some money into a 3.5 2GR-FSE turbo iteration to compete with a GTR? An engine that will already mate with their top end 8 speed auto and a 6 speed manual, without them having to spend any money.

I genuinely do not get how Toyota are saving money on development costs here; Lexus have everything they need to produce an exciting Toyota based car and they are down the road in Japan. How did someone at Toyota think "I know, I'll get on a plane to friggin GERMANY and we can talk about the next top of the range sports car". The LC platform had already been developed, I can't believe we couldn't have had the same arrangement the MK4 had with the Soarer, which used a lot of the same floor plan.

None of the decisions Toyota has made make any sense to me at all.

They should be scared. They put the FT-1 out, which looked like a genuine halo car and potential GTR competitor and now we've got something more akin to an MX5 doing the hill climb at Goodwood. It's not as if Toyota group aren't doing anything good either, the LC-F concept is what the Supra should be sharing a platform with. Hell, even the RC-F is better than what we've seen this week. Lexus are allegedly working on a twin turbo v8 for their top end cars, while Toyota are borrowing off BMW. How hard would it have been to put some money into a 3.5 2GR-FSE turbo iteration to compete with a GTR? An engine that will already mate with their top end 8 speed auto and a 6 speed manual, without them having to spend any money.

I genuinely do not get how Toyota are saving money on development costs here; Lexus have everything they need to produce an exciting Toyota based car and they are down the road in Japan. How did someone at Toyota think "I know, I'll get on a plane to friggin GERMANY and we can talk about the next top of the range sports car". The LC platform had already been developed, I can't believe we couldn't have had the same arrangement the MK4 had with the Soarer, which used a lot of the same floor plan.

None of the decisions Toyota has made make any sense to me at all.

Lexus is Toyotas premium mark so it’s probably more to do with brand management than development costs as why would you pay x amount more for the Lexus version when you can get a Toyota version for a lot less.

It fails as far as continuing the Supra name goes

When i first saw the Supra mkiv back in 94 at a Toyota showroom i went wow i've got to have one

of those, the mk5 sadly doesn't give me the wow factor

I don't think the wow factor is there but I guess the MKiv is hard to follow. There is still not enough information to make a judgement really. If optimistic, it might turn out to be a real drivers car.

Lexus is Toyotas premium mark so it’s probably more to do with brand management than development costs as why would you pay x amount more for the Lexus version when you can get a Toyota version for a lot less.

It doesn't have to be a Toyota "version", it could be something different using Toyota gear and a shared platform. V6 vs V8 for example, or raw drive vs luxury. Something we can at least tune. I really don't understand why we've gone for another Manufacturer's engine when Toyota have been developing the GR platform for over 10 years.

I don't think the wow factor is there but I guess the MKiv is hard to follow. There is still not enough information to make a judgement really. If optimistic, it might turn out to be a real drivers car.

I dont think under the camo is a great looking car tbh, it wont matter if its better than an M3 driving wise if its not

got the looks

Never know, the top GRMN spec might have an LFA engine in it with hybrid motors in the front. (I don’t think!)

I get the points about not using lexus treasure trove. Must be down to trying to price it competitively and sharing production costs.

I guess time will tell if it worked out.

Hope all who attended had a good experience; “I was there” moment for sure :thumbs:

Id like to see it get some sort of X factor... for me right now there isn't anything that really makes it stand out IMO.

In 1993, the MkIV had things that did.... really futuristic styling, that front wing, the huge rear wing, the wrap around dash, the crazy performance, etc. It stood out in many ways. It had a great feature set to sell it.

So far, this 2019 version doesn't have one similar "killer" feature which I think it needs, and its looks alone arn't crazy enough.

You are probably hoping for or expecting too much from a rebadged BMW. The drive train will be nicely engineered but never over engineered. The Toyota bits are nothing beyond the clothes it wears.

I think you need to consider the price point of this vs the mkiv! This is going to be a lot of money but not huge money the mkiv was.

Thats a good point. BMW Z4 price is going to be a little over half what the indexed price of the Supra was in 1993, until you add some of those famous BMW optionals.