The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MkV launch and updates thread

Branners

Re the comparisons to M140's etc, the reason some are upset with the Supra name and collaboration etc is that when the Mkiv came out there was no regular saloon/hatches etc that could come close, it was in the top few percentile of performance and hugely expensive, hence the sales in the Uk being on the few hundred a year. It was a real niche model, we are so lucky they were popular in Japan and that they suffered huge depreciation and UK marque snobbery.

It will not have been Toyota's big profit maker, hence in these more competitive times and when they've been out of the sporty side of car making for a while really, they've not gone all out innovative and max power. So I can see appreciate the disappointment in some and the view it's a sort of cop out but it's ultimately a business decision and they are benefiting in some way from the break from the Mkiv, it's only a few of us (and we are not as likely to be their target market!) that have a Supra baseline, it's not like they are bringing out a new model hot on the heels of the phased out one. If the Supra had carried on from 2001 with a revamp and continuous improvement we'd (have to be) talking GTR levels of power by now, but it wasn't so they don't have to.

A BPU Mkiv is a fast car and so will this new Supra, but am I selling two Mkiv's and throwing cash in also to get one, er no, but then is a person, flicking through autocar and the A90 catching their eye, going to pay 50% of the cost of a new Supra for a 25 year old 'legend' probably not either, almost totally different markets now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you were never going to get a 'true' successor to the Supra from Toyota and the main reason is brand positioning.

Back in 1992/93 the Lexus aspect of Toyota was still mainly a US brand and in its relative infancy. When the Supra was released (at £37k back then!) it was the pinnacle of the Toyota/Lexus stable - you simply couldn't buy anything more powerful, faster or better, end of!

Fast forward to 2018/19 and the story is quite different. Lexus is now the premium brand in the Toyota stable and, as with Porsche and its model hierarchy, so it is now with Toyota and Lexus. Lexus have the LC500 as the brand leader and very soon the LC-F. THAT will be, technically, the new Supra and in my opinion should be considered such. Toyota cannot bring out a model that usurps the Lexus in terms of powerplant, power, speed and cost - brand positioning just won't allow it. The Toyota Supra of 2019 is effectively the Boxster of the Toyota stable whereas the LC-F is the 911 Turbo. I'm as disappointed as everybody else to be honest as when I first the the FT-1 concept I had high hopes but when the spy shots came out is was always a disguised Z4/5 under there and as with the GT86 (which is a fine handling car) was always going to be a diluted successor. Don't blame the Toyota engineers, I'm sure they would have loved to produce a true Supra, blame branding.

Completely agree, I’m not upset I can’t afford to buy an LCF and didn’t expect the Supra to be that, if it had been it wouldn’t have been average man money either. Least I can decide if I want one rather than it be out of reach

happy with the way the MKV looks, they are striking and not diluted too much from the concept.

It’s been said before, it’ll go straight to SRD and come out much better for it. The GT86 has got some great examples now compared against stock when that came out

Still I’ll be keeping my 2002

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you were never going to get a 'true' successor to the Supra from Toyota and the main reason is brand positioning.

Back in 1992/93 the Lexus aspect of Toyota was still mainly a US brand and in its relative infancy. When the Supra was released (at £37k back then!) it was the pinnacle of the Toyota/Lexus stable - you simply couldn't buy anything more powerful, faster or better, end of!

Fast forward to 2018/19 and the story is quite different. Lexus is now the premium brand in the Toyota stable and, as with Porsche and its model hierarchy, so it is now with Toyota and Lexus. Lexus have the LC500 as the brand leader and very soon the LC-F. THAT will be, technically, the new Supra and in my opinion should be considered such. Toyota cannot bring out a model that usurps the Lexus in terms of powerplant, power, speed and cost - brand positioning just won't allow it. The Toyota Supra of 2019 is effectively the Boxster of the Toyota stable whereas the LC-F is the 911 Turbo. I'm as disappointed as everybody else to be honest as when I first the the FT-1 concept I had high hopes but when the spy shots came out is was always a disguised Z4/5 under there and as with the GT86 (which is a fine handling car) was always going to be a diluted successor. Don't blame the Toyota engineers, I'm sure they would have loved to produce a true Supra, blame branding.

I think the 37k was for a NA , TT 6 were close to 50k new . The leaked photo looks great cant wait to see it in black or white paint there's allot of ft1 still in it which is good to see . I think the looks of the car are going to be spot on I can picture a top secret bonnet on that or a maybe they will do a trd ,some people in the thread still moaning about the price the mkiv was nearing 50k new for a TT 6 25years ago this one is around the same price :rolleyes: will wait to see what the tuners can do and what bpu does for it, and if Tada is still saying a grmn version is likely to come with more power then all the better.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Most supras dont have turbos. All Supras have inline 6 cylinder engines. Even the 2000gt had a straight 6. Plus, the 2jz was designed by a german company, and the holy grail 6 speed gearbox designed and built entirely by a german company, so not sure why people are so concerned about the purity of the new one.

One thing is let them build some parts in a country and other is late them make almost the fucking car at BMW, with many look a like Z4 components and parts. Some parts of the LFA, like the air conductor to the engine, was developted and build by Yamaha, but you don't see anything of the LFA that looks like something form Yamaha.

In this case the new Supra has a lot in common with the Z4. Nothing wrong with BMW, and for sure I agree that they ahve some bautiful and powerful cars, but we are talking about a legend. You don't build a legend copy pasting another car brand. It's a SUPRA!!!!! .....for God..... :protest:

It'll be a good car this new one, I don't care about the name/association and very few non Mkiv owners will either so it doesn't have to live up to 'legendary' status (that's partly in our heads anyway) it just needs to be an appealing package to new car buyers which precious few of us are, are we?

I sense a few here could push the boat out for one, but in general we aren't the target market, if it depreciates nicely I can see me getting one at the sort of age I got my first Mkiv, ie when it's 7-8 years old, so maybe 2026 ish!?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the majority of these mkv s will be leased ,as that is the culture these days ,the thing with the mkiv is that it has cult status and we are all mkiv snobs and wether the mkv will ever become a cult car we will have to wait and see .I for one am keeping my 93 .

... https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/12/244.jpg

/QUOTE]

Do you know what I like that a lot.

It's going to be better than our mkivs because technology has moved on so much.

Just look at the figures for a V8 Mustang in the 90s and compare those to the figures of the eco model currently on sale. Then check out the tech. There is no comparison

I have been lucky enough to own mkivs for over 15 years and I doubt I will ever own a mkv as I never buy new cars or pay on never never so by the time these head towards my sort of money I suspect I will be in my 60s (gulp).

It's not a mkiv it's 25 years more advanced so I think us mkiv snobs should give the new boy on the block a chance. How many bought the mkiv in its early days in the UK. Not many. It was only the PlayStation games and the early F and F films which opened many people's eyes .

It's nice that Toyota are returning to sports cars and going away from the tripe range they were kicking out so give them a chance:D

Edited by jonc (see edit history)

Nothing to do with mkiv snobbery for me or advanced tech, it just doesn't wow me like the mkiv did

when i first saw it, all down to the visual impact for me, the concept made me go ooooooh yes please

but now its been altered the WOW is now more like an Oh !!