The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate flipper on OEM front bumper

bayside_supra

One thing I will say is be careful it is illegal to have one fitted as far as im aware, and if caught you could see a fine and points or worse. If you simply dont have one fitted all you can get is a fine NO points. Been about 5 years since I ran a plate on my supras.

Actually having a plate flipper fitted isn’t illegal.

Using it on public roads is though.

Same thing man, you have it fitted with intent to use it.

Thats kind of like a pot smoker having seeds and saying...cant do me mate...didnt smoke it...yet :D

That may technically be true but the sole reason for having one is to be able to use it on the roads, if using it just for shows then just have it on a small L bracket and some velcrow. If you are driving with it hidden then you are using it on the roads so open the doors for court appearences. If the Op has no intention of using it on the roads I say why bother at all. Simply having an old number plate in the car with some old used tape on the back to me is a safer route as they have to prove it didnt fall off while driving. I reckon this would only be an issue if it was caught on a camera or you are caught multiple times and they have it on record.

Same thing man, you have it fitted with intent to use it.

Thats kind of like a pot smoker having seeds and saying...cant do me mate...didnt smoke it...yet :D

Nope.

NO2 is illegal to use but isn't illegal to have installed in the car.

A car can speed, but only speeding is illegal, not the intention or possibility.

Edited by Al Massey (see edit history)

That may technically be true but the sole reason for having one is to be able to use it on the roads, if using it just for shows then just have it on a small L bracket and some velcrow. If you are driving with it hidden then you are using it on the roads so open the doors for court appearences. If the Op has no intention of using it on the roads I say why bother at all. Simply having an old number plate in the car with some old used tape on the back to me is a safer route as they have to prove it didnt fall off while driving. I reckon this would only be an issue if it was caught on a camera or you are caught multiple times and they have it on record.

Luckily, you cant get done for 'maybe one day doing something illegal'

It is only illegal if used on the roads, so the only time you will get done for it and go to court is if you use it on the roads and are caught doing so.

• 4 weeks later...

I can tell you a little story on this as I'm one of the maybe the few who have actually been caught for this. Admittedly in my case it was a bit different in that I had the 'genius idea' to attach my front number plate to my active Aero spoiler on my second Supra. Then you could just manually retract it with the override button and all front facing cameras were bamboozled. Now of course thats great until the day you become a moby and forget you've done it. Pulled over and was luckily let off with 14 days to reverse the 'modification' and then inspected afterwards with the warning notice. I felt lucky at this situation as I got chatting with my father in law afterwards who is a sergeant in the police and he said in these situations the car is illegal with no number plate or a plate that doesnt match the documents, of course insurance is void and you're looking at heading towards a driving ban.

He said he dealt with loads of people trying to get away with this in the past and it always made them laugh at the police station. You see when a camera sees a car with either a non matching or missing plate speeding and cant automatically move forward with a fine or letter its then elevated to being investigated manually and becomes a much more serious affair, as anyone wanting to change plates is very likely up to criminal/terrorist whatever activities. he also laughed at me about doing this with a Supra as even 6 years ago he said 'we'd just look at the picture, identify the car and how many Supras do you think there are in a thirty mile radius of the camera, let alone ones that colour....' Good point. But the other thing he pointed out which I thought was equally valid was if a policeman spots a flipper or whatnot technically they arent illegal but they then have the right to stop your vehicle to check the number plates are mounted correctly and then fully inspect your vehicle, how many of us would pass that test with mods not registered on the insurance, db ratings, tyre tread and width, you can even get points for having your washer bottle empty!

The truth is we all speed sometimes and people wanting to flip plates will be tempted, and I am sure I will get my ear bent for telling my story but as someone who got caught up to similar chicanery and narrowly escaped serious trouble I thought I should share my experience. I've also been caught with a radar detector too if anyone wants that experience....