The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Fuel Economy Modifcations

Wonga Spar

I've just blown my entire NA-T fund on a mortgage deposit and unfortunately my new commute to work is a 50 mile round trip.

MPG is now king, is there anything I can do/buy/install that would dramatically help MPG? No suggestion is too outlandish, I'm even thinking fitting an ECU and getting an MPG focused map might be an answer, would love any insights on this.

Has anybody fitted an MPG gauge before? There seems to be a few available but I'm slightly dubious of their effectiveness.

Any and all help with this would be massively appreciated, I really don't want to have to buy a second 'sensible' car!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed you said has anyone fitted an mpg gauge and wondered about effectiveness? They will be 100% effective in telling you your mpg, but they won’t make a difference in fuel economy.

I should have been more clear :D would something like this fit to the Supra? https://frsport.com/autometer-9105-gauge-fuel-economy-2-rpm-mph-inst-avg-mpg-digital-obdii-ecome?currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9qbPpdbE2wIVlvdRCh3msQe1EAkYBCABEgLu7vD_BwE

Unfortunately buying a second car would mean the Supra would barely get used enough to justify owning it, and that's just not an option.

Would rather bleed £300 a month on fuel than part ways with it. But paying £1,500 to get an ECU with some map options for MPG would pay for itself very quickly (although that's probably not a thing).

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

I work 50 miles away from home so my round trip is 100 miles a day and this is how I do it.

1: Buy a 70mpg capable daily car.

An LPG conversion on the Supra would give the option of cheaper fuel but not improve mpg by much like Mike says. It'd be cheaper to get a diesel something, tax it, insure it, spend only what you need to on it. Cherish the Supra for odd days and weekends.

If you were going to spend 1500 quid on an ECU, spend a grand on a Skoda TDI, get 60mpg and have 500 quid change.

The most you'll ever see from a 2JZ is 28/30mpg

This! I bought a diesel as a daily... albeit a V8 twin turbo one. But a diesel nonetheless! :lol:

Do you really want an LPG supra though? I know it will mean cheaper running costs but it just doesn’t seem right running a supra on anything other than the petrol it should.

No but if it keeps you in the Supra rather than in a shitty horrid cheap diesel then

its a no brainer in my book

Plus do you really get 60 mpg out of one ? i had a low mileage SEAT Leon TDi, the official figures

said it would but it never did no matter how i drove it

Buying a cheap diesel or fitting lpg its going to take around a year if your doing 1000 miles per month

before you start saving any cash

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Do you really want an LPG supra though? I know it will mean cheaper running costs but it just doesn’t seem right running a supra on anything other than the petrol it should.

The LPI system (injected lpg) would not only provide cheaper running but increase power too , allows higher boost due latent heat of vaporisation and octane level - downside is small tank capacity , not a problem in this case and upper limit on power levels due limited injector availability ,again not a problem here

It was available as an OEM alternative on Subaru and some Australian cars - made good power too another advantage is it runs clean and keeps engines internally clean of carbon

Dutch company does it at fairly reasonable cost , not sure if the London emission charge is still zero with LPG , but as that is going up by £12 daily within the circular in a couple of years may be a big payback

No but if it keeps you in the Supra rather than in a shitty horrid cheap diesel then

its a no brainer in my book

Plus do you really get 60 mpg out of one ? i had a low mileage SEAT Leon TDi, the official figures

said it would but it never did no matter how i drove it

Buying a cheap diesel or fitting lpg its going to take around a year if your doing 1000 miles per month

before you start saving any cash

I have a Megane diesel for my commute, claimed figure is 78 mpg combined and I average 53. That’s with motorway, city dual carriageway, normal roads and city driving with traffic so can’t really get more mixed than that.

The initial outlay for a decent LPG system would never be recovered in fuel savings

Never ?

Prins kit fitted £2000

Based on doing 12000 miles p year

95 Ron per gall £5.85 at 25 mpg = £2808

LPG per gall £2.90 at 25 mpg = £1392

Diesel per gall £6.00 but at 50 mpg = £1440

Based on 18000 miles

95 Ron per gall £5.85 at 25 mpg = £4212

LPG per gall £2.90 at 25 mpg = £2088

Diesel per gall £6 but at 50 mpg = £2160

At 18000 miles the Prins kit has paid for itself

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)