The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Torque converter bolts... M9?

ShawnPreece

Cheers mate I would measure it if I could but don't have one out to measure, a friend of mine is big into building his off roaders and is looking at options for the one he's building atm so asked me the question as it could be a possible option for him to buy

They are M10 x 1.5mm pitch, and you need bolts with the shortest grip length (shoulder) you can find. The shoulder needs to protrude through the flex plate and just into the countersunk part in the tapped, welded on blocks on the TC. Too long a shoulder and the shoulder will bottom out before they are clamping the flex plate. Too short and there's a risk of the reduced thread size allowing flex plate to TC movement, although in theory the clamping is done by tension and friction. It is very good practice to use a shouldered bolt, as per the OE ones. I wrongly remembered them as metric fine, they are not, just the standard M10 coarse. HTH.

The loadings on the TC to flex plate bolts are quite mild due to the large PCD of the converter bolt blocks. Especially when compared to the flywheel or flex plate to crank bolt loadings. But given the need for a short grip length and overall short bolt, buying OE ones is probably easiest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thank you Sir David. I have a thrust plate from a lexus motor I believe as its an auto box from there as well. Sadly the flex plate on that box does not line up with my GTE TC and so the thrust plate has the same issue. Hence I need to buy all those pieces again but I do have the correct GTE flex plate now. Thanks for the dimensions.

Chris, I will have a look and see. Maybe it will be better to just ask around local before I take the plunge as what I see, most people just sell their auto boxes off the Aristo GTEs but for $200 plus. Thanks for your advice as well

I wasn't sure if you were after GE or GTE components.

Now that I understand you are after GTE, note that the flex-plate to crank bolts are the same size for both GE and GTE, however, the OE GTE bolts are a stronger spec.

These stronger spec bolts are identified by a number "11" cast into the head.

I wasn't sure if you were after GE or GTE components.

Now that I understand you are after GTE, note that the flex-plate to crank bolts are the same size for both GE and GTE, however, the OE GTE bolts are a stronger spec.

These stronger spec bolts are identified by a number "11" cast into the head.

Come come Mr. P *forged* into the head, not cast. Bolts are forged.... ;)