The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jay Leno's Garage- 93 Jspec TT6

evinX

Insta-clicked this one pretty fast, but sadly very little conversation about the car, would have been keen to get Jay's thoughts.

Also I hear a lot of Americans claiming the USDM Supra with its steel turbos was much more powerful, I've always thought both JDM and UK/USDM left the factory with around 325? Would somebody clue me up?

Insta-clicked this one pretty fast, but sadly very little conversation about the car, would have been keen to get Jay's thoughts.

Also I hear a lot of Americans claiming the USDM Supra with its steel turbos was much more powerful, I've always thought both JDM and UK/USDM left the factory with around 325? Would somebody clue me up?

I always thought the uks abd usdms had steel turbos making them faster than the jspec that had ceramics?

Sadly No.. JDM typically was 280.... exports were 320.- You can thank the Japanese auto industry and their gentleman's agreement for that.

My understanding is that the quoted figure was 280 under the gentlemen's agreement but real world figures are more, JDMs are about the same stock power as Export cars

Sadly No.. JDM typically was 280.... exports were 320.- You can thank the Japanese auto industry and their gentleman's agreement for that.

The flip side is that the US has the heaviest version, thanx to its fully loaded, Aerotop, 6sp, TT option(US only) and its extra chassis bracing to cope.

This archaic yet amazing site has it all.

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

Also, I like Jay, but sadly, you just cant take much away from his opinion, nor most American's in their views on cars.

Its not their fault, its just that they live in their own little "USA IS the world" patriot-bubble, often with such little exposure and education about the car-world beyond their borders.

its the reason the USA usually gets its own version of everything(Like the supra), because the average US buyer "thinks and wants differently" to the rest of the world.

280 on paper only - not in practice.

Finally! About time he had one on. Looking forward to seeing what he thinks. Hope it’s a tastefully done bpu, but prob not. Cheers for the heads up. Just talked me out of changing over disks and pads! :)

Edit: had no idea it was a paul walker feature. I’ve seen all of these shows and this is the first time that the car isn’t the real subject matter, so not to put down what the interview contained, as some have said, it didn’t get the same attention as a car would normally get, and that’ll be it ticked off now as being on the show.

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

Nice to see a Supra on the show finally, although more actual talking about the Supra and less about Paul Walker’s extended family would have been preferred. Think they could also have chosen a better example. I couldn't stop looking at the front bumper not lining properly! Also J-spec brakes :blink:

Edited by jimjam92 (see edit history)

Thanks for posting :thumbs: TBH there was very little actually about the car, too much about Paul Walker, they could have made this a really interesting and engaging episode about the Supra with little effort..... but I did enjoy watching this, they should have called it a Paul Walker documentary featuring a Supra though :rolleyes: good for his charity though which is also important

I always thought the uks abd usdms had steel turbos making them faster than the jspec that had ceramics?

They do.... wouldnt say it necessarily makes them faster, but they're able to hold more power and deliver more from stock.

Say 20+ more BHP on a US/UK/Euro but more weight. Kinda equals out.

Has anyone dynoed bone stock import?

Almost, only mod was Blitz Nur Spec catback (both cats still in, so boost should have still been the same) and made exactly 320 flywheel, 280 wheel. Makes me wonder if Toyota were quoting the wheel horsepower as a way of getting around the agreement. 1997 VVTI TT6

Almost, only mod was Blitz Nur Spec catback (both cats still in, so boost should have still been the same) and made exactly 320 flywheel, 280 wheel. Makes me wonder if Toyota were quoting the wheel horsepower as a way of getting around the agreement. 1997 VVTI TT6

Thats an odd number, as it only equates to 12/13% drivetrain loss, where as usually on rolling road for a manual its 18%. What kind of rolling road was it Dyno'd on? Hub Dyno?

• 1 month later...