The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spec Twin Plate Clutch?

Gpro

Why do you need a twin plate clutch?

Why would I not need a twin plate clutch?

- - - Updated - - -

Continued to do research after my initial post and found nothing but bad reviews on the twin plate so got a ClutchMaster FX850 instead.

I am going for over 1000hp so can't get a single plate clutch, hence my interest in how much torque the spec twin plate clutch can handle.

I ended up buying the ClutchMaster FX850 Twin plate, just arrived today!

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-16 at 20.19.27.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give everyone a quick update. Done 200 miles so far on the new FX850 clutch and so far couldn't be happier! The clutch pedal is extremly light compared to what I was used to (competition clutch stage 5) it now feels like a normal car!. The actual noise of the clutch on idle (1150rpm) isn't anywhere near as bad as I have heard from other clutches. You could quite clearly hear it rattling for the first 100 miles, but now to be honest you will struggle to notice I run a twin plate. The noise on idle is extremely quite and not noticable. It drives lovely and engages really well (engagement was aggresive for the first 100 miles).

Note: The 200 miles I have done was primarily city driving to bed in the clutch properly.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the clutch and I would highly recommend it. FYI I have the street version with a steel flywheel, I believe its capable of 900ftlbs torque if not more.

I guess the only downside of it, it's only available from the US.

Edited by Gpro (see edit history)