The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hit pothole. Now the slip control off & OD off lights are flashing

PJJ

Hi all

Could do with help please.

Coming down M6 doing 50 and forced into a pothole (someone in lane next to me and behind so couldn't swerve it).

Now the slip control off & OD off lights are flashing. Parked up and turned ignition off back on but after few seconds they start flashing again.

No obvious damage to wheels or under car. Nothing hanging off that can see. Car seems to drive ok and shifts through gears still and OD off seems to work still (ie. Still selects 3rd, 4th). But no manu mode.

Car is 96 RZS Facelift auto.

Any advice appreciated guys.

Regards

Paul.

not 100% the same but i hit a bump going round a sharp bend causing the traction control to cut in and instantly got the slip control and abs lights come on the dash, after changing the sensors it turned out to be a section of the loom in the wing. guess the jolt was enough to cause the wire to finally give up inside the shielding. from the outside you couldn't tell, and even with a multimeter at each end you couldn't tell, the wire was only sometimes arking on its own sleve if that makes sence.

Have you checked if any fault codes are stored? As a wild stab in the dark as where to look I would check the gearbox loom and connectors, and look for any speed converter gizmos behind the dash hanging by a thread due to prior poor installation, but as I say, a wild stab at a sensible area to examine...

Hi Paul,

sorry to hear you're having problems due to whacking a pothole.

As others have said, it could be many things from a sensor to a loose wire.

Did you scan for codes yet?

I experienced a similar issue very shortly after getting the car (which was before the speed convertor was fitted, so I could rule that one out as the cause).

It went back to JM Imports as it was still under the warranty.

They diagnosed a faulty trac ECU and sent it off for repair. All was well again when it was refitted.

If possible, it would be a quick check if you have someone local who could let you plug their trac ecu into your car as a test. At least it would either confirm the issue, or rule that out.

Good luck!

Hi Paul,

sorry to hear you're having problems due to whacking a pothole.

As others have said, it could be many things from a sensor to a loose wire.

Did you scan for codes yet?

I experienced a similar issue very shortly after getting the car (which was before the speed convertor was fitted, so I could rule that one out as the cause).

It went back to JM Imports as it was still under the warranty.

They diagnosed a faulty trac ECU and sent it off for repair. All was well again when it was refitted.

If possible, it would be a quick check if you have someone local who could let you plug their trac ecu into your car as a test. At least it would either confirm the issue, or rule that out.

Good luck!

Hi Michael

Thanks for the heads-up mate, I didn't get chance to scan for codes yet, hoping to do at the weekend.

Sounds like it might be worth me speaking to JM Imports to see what sort of warranty the TRAC ECU has if it was repaired then (once I can scan for codes to see if it points to the ECU).

Car has been running spot on, was gutted when I got forced into a pothole coming back from holidays in it from the Lakes :-(

Don't suppose you have any paperwork for the ECU repair do you?

Thanks

Paul.

Hi Michael

Thanks for the heads-up mate, I didn't get chance to scan for codes yet, hoping to do at the weekend.

Sounds like it might be worth me speaking to JM Imports to see what sort of warranty the TRAC ECU has if it was repaired then (once I can scan for codes to see if it points to the ECU).

Car has been running spot on, was gutted when I got forced into a pothole coming back from holidays in it from the Lakes :-(

Don't suppose you have any paperwork for the ECU repair do you?

Thanks

Paul.

Nah, no paperwork for the ECU repair (although I didn't pay for it due to being under warranty, I seem to recall Jurgan saying it was several hundred pounds). I thought that was a bit odd for him to pay that much as I'm fairly sure a replacement 2nd hand unit can be got for much less.

I have a feeling it didn't show up on a code scan as it was a faulty ECU rather than a faulty sensor.

My suggestion would be to scan first. If nothing shows up, see if you can borrow a members trac ecu and plug it in to see if it cures the issue. If it does, give Jurgan a call about the warranty on the unit. If it doesn't, then it'll be a case of just investigating further and see what you find.

Fingers crossed you get it fixed quickly and cheaply.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.....

So whilst car was with littlenum for service he checked everything. Speed sensors, abs, speed converter etc. Only fault he could see was possible leaking capacitors in main car ECU. We're looking for an ECU to borrow to see if it cures fault.

I'll update when we know more as others seem to have similar issues.

Mine did this maybe 9-12months ago and I lived with it and then the other week it wouldn't go into top gear and so I swapped in an main ECU I had and it fixed it (there is a thread on here) and so perhaps a coincidence or perhaps the flashing trac light is a warning sign the ecu is starting to fail. Mine had no internal leaking capacitor visible, a computer repairer couldn't find anything on inspection, I'm contemplating sending it somewhere for a second opinion.

Mine did this maybe 9-12months ago and I lived with it and then the other week it wouldn't go into top gear and so I swapped in an main ECU I had and it fixed it (there is a thread on here) and so perhaps a coincidence or perhaps the flashing trac light is a warning sign the ecu is starting to fail. Mine had no internal leaking capacitor visible, a computer repairer couldn't find anything on inspection, I'm contemplating sending it somewhere for a second opinion.

Cheers Scooter. Been thinking should i just get another ECU but i guess that is costly verses are repair.

Do you know if all TT Auto ECU's are the same or do i need to search for a particular spec to fit mine?

Cheers Scooter. Been thinking should i just get another ECU but i guess that is costly verses are repair.

Do you know if all TT Auto ECU's are the same or do i need to search for a particular spec to fit mine?

Pretty much just try and get a replacement for your ECU. Are you J-Spec? Are you tiptronic?

Hi Burna

It's a 96 facelift jspec non vvti. Not tiptronic mate.

I think not getting a matching part number is risky and sticking your neck out. Various senders and sensors changed over the years and probably they mated with a particular ECU part number. Could get weird problems with the wrong ecu even if the engine appeared to start and run OK.

Out of necessity I used a later ecu in my prefacelift. The spare ecu I had I got because it matched my face lift but non vvti car, but then the early car had the issue so nothing to lose trying, will monitor this, hopefully nothing is getting stressed?

I think not getting a matching part number is risky and sticking your neck out. Various senders and sensors changed over the years and probably they mated with a particular ECU part number. Could get weird problems with the wrong ecu even if the engine appeared to start and run OK.

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I'm a bit of a newbie to all this so any advice greatly appreciated.

Some info re part number lookup

My spare ECU is part number 89661-14780

Model Dates: Matching Models: Model Options: Links to diagrams:

05/1995-07/2002 JZA80-ALPVZ RZS, JPN, LB, 2JZGTE, TWT, ATM, 4FC 84-04

______________________________________________________________________________________________

My original 94 ecu 89661-14491

05/1993-07/2002 TOYOTA SUPRA JZA80 84-04: ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

05/1993-04/1995 JZA80-AJPQZ RZ, JPN, AET, 2JZGTE, TWT, ATM, 4FC 84-04

05/1993-04/1995 JZA80-AJPZZ GZ, JPN, AET, 2JZGTE, TWT, ATM, 4FC 84-04

05/1993-04/1995 JZA80-ALPQZ RZ, JPN, LB, 2JZGTE, TWT, ATM, 4FC 84-04

05/1995-07/2002 JZA80-ALPVZ RZS, JPN, LB, 2JZGTE, TWT, ATM, 4FC 84-04

05/1993-04/1996 JZA80-ALPZZ GZ, JPN, LB, 2JZGTE, TWT, ATM, 4FC 84-04

____________________________________________________________________________________________

A 93 cars ecu part number 89661-14500

05/1993-07/2002 JZA80-ALFQZ RZ, JPN, LB, 2JZGTE, TWT, MTM, 6F 84-04

05/1993-04/1995 JZA80-ALFZZ GZ, JPN, LB, 2JZGTE, TWT, MTM, 6F 84-04

I'm not sure exactly what this means, on the one hand it would suggest that my earlier ecu would work in my later car but the later ecu might not with the early one (it only has 1995-2002 RZS listed) but then I think we know that it wouldn't work with a vvti car and hence this cast doubt on the whole info?

I've not done many miles in the car since 'fixing' it but all systems 'seem' to be working, I don't know of any changes to say oil pressure sensors, knock sensors, cam/crank sensors etc through the range so I'm hoping any issues I might find are minor.......but if CW is concerned I'm concerned lol!

Well the doubt was enough to be curious to browse ebay and by chance there one was a 89661-14491 in Poland, so I snapped it up.

I figured it would be good to have the correct one in and if all working correctly (as stated) then I could possibly use it to get the other malfunctioning one fixed as I'm assuming a good technician with a known good and bad board should be able to find any differences and repair them?

I was fine with using it as was really but the price of the ebay one (in the world of rapidly disappearing or price increasing parts) for an exact part match was fine and then I can forget of any possibly issues and be back to having a spare one on the shelf again!