The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mk4 Speedo issue after BMW 420G gearbox swap

philw99

Finally it appears i have my BMW 420G gearbox working in the Supra, for the next step I’d love to get the speedo working and in turn the odometer working again.

Does anyone know what other people have done to solve this problem?

Looks like the DAKOTA DIGITAL SGI-5E box could help here? just trying to understand what’s best to interface with, the speed sensor isn't in the gearbox anymore so need a new source.

Should I be investigating getting one fitted to the drive shaft? Was looking at GPS speedo’s but they aren’t cheap

My long term goal was to fix this when I change to an aftermarket ECU, however would be nice to get this fixed now.

Any help greatly received

You could probably use a buffer amp and get a speed signal from a front ABS sensor, assuming you have ABS. or put a star wheel on the back of the propshaft and fit a Hall effect sesnor so you have a digital signal to work with. It all depends what the gizmo expects in terms of analogue or digital, and pulses per wheel rotation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The ecumaster det3 works well as a cheap speedo convertor. Nice thing is it can do other stuff too.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?351116-speedo-issues-after-1uz-conversion&highlight=shane

Long thread...but basically the det3 has the ability to multiply a signal from whatever sensor you can tap into and provide an output close to what you need. It does other stuff too but if you want to use it just as a speedo convertor you can hook it up with just 5 or 6 connections. Software is as simple as abc and runs on most pc os's via usb.