The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The black (dog) now a Swan

mkIIIdiehard

They say photos never lie, well they may hide the odd blemish, i bought this old girl off the bay unseen, I cant complain, as we all know you really should go and see what you might be buying.

imageTHE NEW TOY by shagracer, on Flickr

i have managed to close the gap between the window and seal, the door now shuts with out the glass hitting the roof trim, thanks to a good video i watched on youtube.

imagewindow alignment by shagracer, on Flickr

Edited by mkIIIdiehard (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

been driving around in this for around a week, finding out the good and bad things, decided it was worth an oil/filter change and a slightly early MOT.......FAIL........emissions were sky high around the 12.5 mark, she did hunt on tickover and had the odd smell of petrol at times, turned out to be a few air leaks and a badly glued up bodge, she sailed through (emissions) well under the limits, runs smooth even on tickover, more responsive, and better on mpg....phew.

Time to visit mr T, I need a pair of door window weather strips, guy comes out after checking, head down not looking happy, we can get them but i don't think you will want them he says, £££, but as mine are well shagged im just glad they still do them no matter how much, heres a photo of mine.

imageweatherseal by shagracer, on Flickr

will be fitting this today, should make the whole driving experiences feel more pleasant than holding that old tatty thing in your hands.

imageNEW STEERING WHEEL by shagracer, on Flickr

imageWORN STEERING WHEEL by shagracer, on Flickr

Cant believe how long this took to fit, getting the self cancelling and horn to work.....phew!

imageNEW STEERING WHEEL by shagracer, on Flickr

The more i look at the silver decals along the top of the sills, the more i dislike them, they seem to catch bits of polish in the edges and show up as a line of white around them, and do you need stickers telling you it's a supra, so they will be coming off.

imageTOYOTA SUPRA mkIV by shagracer, on Flickr

*added post*

having now cool down, from finding what some cowboy had done in the past.

starting with the smallest part of the side sticker, i heated and peeled it back then gently removed the remaining glue, and could not work out why i still had such a hard edge above and below, then it hit me that the sticker had been masked, and the car then received a coat of paint.

so im left with this

after walking around the car a few times, looking at it through critical eyes, spotting other flaws and marks, have now decided she will get a windows down respray with the stickers removed.

• 2 weeks later...

cars running well, just had the tracking reset, and she's blowing nice and cold inside after having the A/C re-gassed, although the gold wheels caught my eyes in the for sale advert, ive gone off them so have started a little refurb on them (well one so far)

imagelight rub down by shagracer, on Flickr

imagegrey primer by shagracer, on Flickr

imagesilver rim, black centre by shagracer, on Flickr

imageFRONTS OR REARS by shagracer, on Flickr

Headlights got a dull misty/cloudy look to them

imagemkIV SUPRA by shagracer, on Flickr

ten minutes with a bit of t-cut.

imagemkIV SUPRA by shagracer, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

i was at a Japanese car meet in Langford, and was talking to the owner of a very smart orange aero top, i asked about his new looking wiper scuttle and if they were still available from MrT, to my amazement he said it wasn't new just cleaned and polished with some type of back to black product. so today i had a go with mine. imageTOYOTA SUPRA mkIV by shagracer, on Flickr

i can't believe how good it now looks, as for how long it stays black i don't know, but i will keep doing it from time to time in hope it stays this nice.

the stuff i used was in a spray can made by Auto Care called Dash Shine, suitable for vinyl, rubber or plastic.

some cars fight you all the way, but this car wants to be saved and brought back to a nice level, the ash tray lid was a sloppy horrible experience to touch and open (compared to the smooth slow opening on a mkiii) but again talking to other owners, i was told that these should also be a smooth action, today i pulled the small insert out, the lid was only held by the spring (which i thought would be missing) but there was nothing else holding the lid to the pot, carefully flicking through the fluff and crumbs in the main panel i spotted two tiny shiny pins, popped them in place, slid the lid arms back over, and Hey Presto one nice smooth working ash tray.

just a shame that the top layer of all the plastic trim in mkiv's seem to go a little soft and almost tacky

P.S. oh...just love the little hidden light in the ash tray

• 3 weeks later...

another common issue with these cars, as they get older the dash pad swells and pulls away from the air vents

theres not a lot you can do, a bit of camouflage takes it away from your eyes, also keeping wife and bank manager happy at the same time.

gave the carpets a good vac, and used some Vanish dry foam carpet cleaner, came up well

slowly changing from a dog to a swan

dropped her off at the spray shop, to remove the remaining door stickers and respray from windows down

imageCITROEN 2CV by shagracer, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...

yoh. fantastic turn around. Eyt now sell that car and restore another for us supra minded people. :D

Well done and thanks for that bit on the restore on the scuttle panel. My dumb local agents say discontinued on it. I managed to find a used one for 25% of the agents price but with shipping half the price of new. Now I still need to find the rubber seal for it

• 2 weeks later...

did the monthly Basingstoke meet the other Sunday, nice bunch of guys and girls with very nice cars, which gave me the confidence to take the IV out to a double show weekend, the first was on Saturday at Highnam Court Glous

imageTOYOTA SUPRA mkIV - mkIV - mkIII by shagracer, on Flickr

then on up for an overnight stay in Warwick, to be ready for Retrowarwick on the sunday

imageTOYOTA SUPRA mkIV - mk111 - mk111 by shagracer, on Flickr

imageTOYOTA SUPRA mkIV - mkIII - mkIII by shagracer, on Flickr

image1994 TOYOTA SUPRA mkIV - DeLOREAN by shagracer, on Flickr

although the IV is now 24 years old, i wasn't sure how she would go down at a classic/retro show, but the interest shown to the 3 Supras was overwhelming even the Mayor took two steps back and was saying something about it being exactly the same as....but i couldn't hear as to what, there was no set type either from very young kids to teenagers, and even senior citizens took good up close walks around them.

Theres still lot of things i have to do to the old girl, but these reactions makes it all the more worth while.

• 3 months later...

after seeing lots of head on photos, those orange indicators have to go, bought clear fronts (£'s), but since it means removing the headlights to gain access, i've not got round to fitting them, although i have fitted a new small front plate, even that wasn't straight forward, removed big plate, offered up new, but old holes were outside of new plate, so had to filled, rubbed down, spray, then fitted new plate.

image1994 TOYOTA SUPRA mkIV by shagracer, on Flickr

image1994 TOYOTA SUPRA mkIV by shagracer, on Flickr

which now, makes those orange indicators stand out more....Doh