The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot lock adjustment

tintinmt

I have fitted a replacement boot lid. All was going reasonably well until I checked the operation of the lock.

It doesn't lock very 'positively' and worse does not pop into the open position when the release is pulled.

Without the latch in place everything seems to line up well and with the latch in place I can see no reason why it doesn't work correctly.

I cannot find any adjustment in the door hinges or either side of the lock.

I attach a picture of the boot in the closed position - can you see anything wrong?

Boot Lock resize.jpg

Thanks guys. May car is a pre-facelift '93. I don't know about the lid. My lock has only two bolts to the body - and they are fixed position. I can't see any opportunity for adjustment. I had seen that image of the adjustment, so I was mighty disappointed when I found my lock was different.

I must be failing to understand how these self centering bolts work. It seems extremely likely that the lock just needs to be adjusted as the lid fits well otherwise with all panel gaps good.

I will have another look at the bolts and see about replacing them with non-self centering.

The self centring bolts do exactly as they sound, they move the lock into one fixed position and therefore can't be adjusted.

You need to replace those bolts with just normal M8 or whatever size they are, then you'll be able to move it around.

The chamfer on the centring bolt "pulls" it into the middle.

Or from the toyota manual it even says to change the bolts

attachment.php?attachmentid=216191&stc=1&d=1482030408

I did have a bit of self doubt but on checking, the bolts are not self-centering. However, this does not mean that the lock is adjustable as far as I can see.

Although one side is slotted, the other bolt hole is the same size as the bolt. It is the same with the catch.

I must be being dim but I can't see how the lock will move in any direction (as in the image above) without enlarging the holes at the lock mounting points.

Boot lock 1.jpg

Boot Lock 2.jpg