The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK 4 Piston Brake refurb

mattdavies

Thought I would start a thread on my brake calipers.

I went on holiday for a couple of weeks so before this I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get my brakes refurbed while the car would not be needed. I took them off the car a couple of days before I left, packaged them up and sent to a refurbishment company.

While I was on holiday I received and email from the company and they quoted 2x more then I was expecting to fix the calipers. I decided to have them sent back to me without any work being authorised.

When they arrived they were stripped of all the parks and from what I can tell have been blasted. I have therefore made the decision to refurbish them myself. I have ordered some Foliatec Caliper paint, and also 8 x Genuine Brake Caliper Pistons ( 47731-14110 ).

I will try to document the process as best as I can, I will be ordering some stainless steel pins and a seal kit from Chris Wilson shortly. Here are some pics:

file.jpg

I posted about a problem i had doing UK spec calipers so thought i'd mention it

When i shot blasted 2 sets of front calipers even though i washed through the fluid passage ways

with brake cleaner followed by compressed air in both directions and repeated the process

several times when i took one of the calipers apart i found shot blasting grit on the counter bore

faces where the seals sit.

I then took the others apart and they were the same

I've added a photo, the grit i found was sat where the light blue arrows are which is where

the seals sit.

The seals aren't available from Toyota but CW could and possibly still can get them

calipers 006.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

No problem, i wasn't sure if you were going to split them or not hence me mentioning it.

Also just as a bit of info the two halves are handed and marked up L and R so double check

when you bolt them back together :) i didn't on my first pair until i'd fitted it back together :rolleyes:

I wasn’t going to split them until Chris Wilson emailed me saying I should and he will sell me the seals. I thought I could feel him judging me via email so I have agreed to buy them LOL

LOL

It'll be interesting to see if yours have any blasting media around the seals

I wasn’t going to split them until Chris Wilson emailed me saying I should and he will sell me the seals. I thought I could feel him judging me via email so I have agreed to buy them LOL

Toyota told me directly ( steve manley ) not to split them

the inside of your pots don't look right on one of them pictures looks to be flaking or something ?

you have probably seen this but i will link it http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?244873-uk-brake-refurb&highlight=brake

can see from my pictures but all my pots where completely smooth

Toyota won't supply the small square section seals but CW can get them so other than that

i see no problems in splitting them

The calipers have a coating on the bores and inside faces so i'd imagine

that's what's flaking off in Matts photo, they more than likely just need

properly cleaning.

The bore where the piston fits is a clearance fit to the piston the more

critical part is the undercut where the piston seal fits

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Do you think I should just wet and dry the bores with the coating ?

Think i'd use some paint stripper to shift the coating

After i'd media blasted the ones i did i used scotchbrite in the piston bores but they were completely clean

and no coating on them

Finished painting them the other night, I didn’t realise that the paint was metallic so would of been better sprayed. Never the less I am hoping that it won’t be too noticeable once fitted and I have tried to keep the brush lines all the same.

I am still waiting for my seal kit to turn up from Chris Wilson, haven’t heard from him to say he has posted it or received the money.

Here is a picture with the stickers applied

Today a box of bits turned up from Chris Wilson, included are :

Piston Seals and retaining clips

Caliper half seals

Stainless steel pad retaining pins

Tonight when I get home I will assemble as per Chris’s instructions with my New OEM pistons

They look great mate, well done :thumbs:

Thank you, wasn't something I was planning on doing and didn't really want the car off the road. Its actually a fairly easy exercise.

One thing I would say if doing it again and splitting the calipers, crack the caliper joining bolts while on the car as its easier while the caliper is being held, plus they are 14mm the same as the bolts holding the caliper on so while your under there....

So with all the parts to hand I rebuilt the calipers

First off put the piston seal in place

Then once this was done I smeared the seal with a little rubber grease and put the piston in

Leaving the piston pertruding slightly I put the new rubber boot on the piston

Then with much trouble, you really need three hands, put the retaining spring on

Once all the sides were built, I replaced the seals between the caliper and bolted them back together as tight as I could with a 3/8” ratchet