The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toms TT6 VVTi

Tommyd16

Well I’m back in a Supra for the 3rd time!

Having owned a TT auto and a NA manual I desperately wanted another Supra. I spotted this for sale 2 weeks ago and went to view it.

Done some research and it and the owner had had a bad time on the forum but I went for a look anyway snapped it up. It was listed for £18k and managed to get for afew grand less which at the end of the day was a bargain for what it is and the prices now!

Any here it is. 98 twin turbo VVTi v161 a03b LSD with afew option extras,

The knee pad things, carbon steering wheel, number plate garnish, confetti recaros, big brakes etc and personalised plate

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

This car is/was by no means perfect but it obviously has a lot of good things going for it and the body work is pretty good Nic which seems to be the biggest problem I’ve been seeing when looking for supras now. The main things wrong with the car seemed to be mainly cosmetic but i haven’t driven her yet apart from the drive from Manchester to London after I bought her.

On the ride home the second turbo seemed intermittent which was worrying but I’ve solved this problem and it’s running sweet now.

So I’ve had it 2 weeks and feel like I’ve done a lot already!! And spend a lot at Whifbitz. A big thanks to Whifbitz and Paul for their fast delivery and to paul for sorting out a Saturday delivery for me tomorow with a new set of wheels!

Ok so a list so jobs I’ve so far;

Replaced all vac hoses in the engine and checked the correct layout etc

Replaced the VSVs

Removed the old alarm, boost gauge, turbo timer, replaced the head unit, removed a shit ton of random wiring behind the dash

Removed the air horn!

Fitted the original battery clamp

Checked all fluids

Fitted facelift headlights which I snapped up on eBay for £150 each!

Although advertised as BPU it still had the first cat in place and no evidence of FCD or plug change or fuel pump. So replaced the entire exhaust, decats etc with a Whifbitz twin box and double decat and restrictor ring

Spark plugs and fuel gettin done tomorow and a Chris Wilson FCD next week

Alpine head unit fitted and wired in correctly, all soldered and heat shrank as it was just twisted and taped up before.

Got the stock aerial working! Wasn’t wired up right!

Replaced boot rubbers

Adjusted the handbrake

Removed the Chinese HIDS and replaced with Osram night breakers

Replaced the HKS filter foam

Made and fitted a blank under the radio and mounted the HKS boost controller and a couple of switches for fog light and a spare for the future

Repaired the boost controller because it decided to stop working!

Repaired the recaro seat

Fitted Veilside gear knob and replace the leather gaitors

And probly other things.

Anyway I’m slowing working through my list. I need to replaced the discs and pads and give the brakes a good bleed because they feel a bit spongy and the ABS pump seems abit intermittent. Get a light and sounds horrible occasionally so I got a second replacement from Japan!

Tomorow will be fitting new rota GTR-Ds and falken tyres and a new white line ARB and drop links to the rear as it has got one fitted!

But the thing I want most is a bumper! I really don’t like the doluck!

imageimageimage

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ, that’s a lot of work you’ve done in a short time!

Well done for getting it cheap, but can I cheekily ask how much you’re into it now after all those changes? Hope it’s still good value.

Ps - good time to buy as I think prices will rise shortly due to the hype around the mark V and the attention the IV will get as a result, the lack of supply and to a lesser extent the opening up of the US market. Think you got in at the right time.

I think the previous owner had a hard time because he tries to sell a couple of years ago and I think he was hiding the fact things were wrong with it. Plus he didn’t come across well reading the posts I found. But that’s in the past. I knew it needed some tlc which is what I was after and it gave me a bargaining chip so I’m happy.

I’ve probably sunk £3k ish in it so far but that’s just made up the asking price he was selling for and potentially this could well be a £30k car in 5 years seeing how the prices are now. So if I do it well it’s worth the effort

No huge plans. Just trying to get it to nice safe standard and clean it up. Want a really nice base. Keep BPU and just run it at 0.8/0.9 boost and keep the turbos going as long as possible.

I was going to get an OEM front bumper but now I think ridox.

Just want to get it mint to be honest.

New rad

Coolant pipes

Under seal

Going to clean up and paint all the suspension arms

Check bushes

Replace coilovers

Replace the blitz intercooler with a smaller one. Thinks at 4 row more suited to a big single

Get the seats and steering wheel retrimmed

Once it’s a nice standard I’ll look at tarting it up abit. Bit of paint correction here and there

TRD spoiler.

Polish up some engine parts and some carbon but that’s a long way down the line

Sad to hear the old owner had a hard time on here you need armadillo skin some times!

Jeez, it’s only a bit of banter. If you think it’s bad now you should have been on here years ago! If you can’t stand the heat...

I think the previous owner had a hard time because he tries to sell a couple of years ago and I think he was hiding the fact things were wrong with it. Plus he didn’t come across well reading the posts I found.

That will do it, one thing members on here hate more than anything is someone lying to dupe an unsuspecting buyer. He’s not the only one to try it on and won’t be the last I am sure.

As you say, you went into this with your eyes wide open so knew what to expect. Great find, good buy and hopefully she will serve you well for years to come. BPU is great :)

Yh I loved BPU on my old TT auto but after I went BPU running at LO 1bar and on occasion HI 1.2 bar the oil seal went in one or both of my turbos relatively quickly. I know it doesn’t happen to everyone but that’s why I’m going to run a lower a boost on this one. Keep them going as long as possible

• 1 month later...

I thought update the work I’ve done the last few weeks.

I fitted a new fuel pump and CW fuel cut defender.

Fitted new spark plugs. When I was doing that I found someone previous must have broken a coil pack clip and just fitted the pins onto the coil pack and glued them in so they didn’t short. So I had to get a new coil pack and crimp new terminations. While I was there replaced the other coil pack clips.

I fitted a new whiteline anti roll bars and front and rear with new drop links. When I bought the car it never had a rear arb so the threads for fitting were rusted up and I had to tap new threads.

I also replaced the discs front and rear. Wanted to do the pads aswell but the pins are seized to I’ll take them to whifbitz to remove so I don’t fuck the calipers.

Also fitted second hand tein coilovers to replace mine because one was knocking plus they were rusty as hell. While o was there I hammerited the arms.

I removed the front bumper and fitted a crash bar as there wasn’t one before. Also removed the FMIC as it seemed over kill for the stock twins. It was a blitz 4 row with 3” piping. Replaced with whifbitz SMIC piping and a whifbitz SMIC is on order.

While I was there I noticed the power steering cooling pipes are really deteriorating so I’ve ordered new pipes to replace so obviously will also replace the fluid once I get around to it.

Sourced a oem front bumper which will be painted this week and have been sourcing all the parts to make the front end oem again. All the fitting parts for the bumper, under tray and splash guards.

Inside I installed a defi boost gauge into the vent next to the clock and got some metal monkey Speedo faces and painted the needles red.

Also ordered a new ac unit from pro spec imports in Australia imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I’ve probably missed some stuff out.

Great thread. I remember this car coming up in Manchester as I enquired myself. It was great value but I was put off by the lack of service history. Looks like you are well underway reviving it, it's going to be a cracker once you are done.

Can I ask where you sourced the front bumper? Did it come with all the fixtures and fittings and how much was it?

Thanks mate. I got the bumper from a guy on one of the Facebook groups for £200. It didn’t come with anything. I probly spent another £200 or so at whifbitz on the all fittings etc and then a polyurethane lip also.

The service history was off putting for myself aswell but I used it as a bargaining tool to get over £3k off the asking price so not all bad

Got my whifbitz SMIC, ducting and undertray. Also cut holes for the facelift side repeaters in the number which I’ve now given to the body shop to work their magic and should hopefully get back next week.

Finally a quick pic of my centre console with defi boost gauge installed and home made blank with the boost controller mounted and a couple of switches. One for the rear fog and a spare in case I need it in the future imageimageimageimageimageimage

Little update. Got the SMIC installed with the whifbitz hard pipe kit. I got some aluminium tape to cover all the gaps around the ducting for the intercooler.

I also replaced the rubber hoses to the power steering cooler as they were all cracked and obviously replaced the fluid.

I also got some brackets and raised the cooler as before the way it was fitted it would of interfeared with the front bumper under tray when I fit.

Finally I treated myself to nice bits. Got carbon spark plug cover and TRD steering wheel on the way which I will send off to get trimmed when it gets here. So I will have my OEM steering wheel with carbon inserts for sale soon

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Nice work going on here [emoji1360]

I recently got the same blue grip TRD wheel, then had it redone.

Upon fitting it, noticed the airbag plugs didn’t match.

But thankfully toyota got me one by 9am the next day [emoji2]

And it was only 11.92 inc vat.

Part number was 09082-00760