The mkiv Supra Owners Club

***420G getrag m3 6 speed conversion*** Help please

philw99

After some help if possible, having issues with the gearbox conversion.

I'm using the PMC motorsport 2JZ conversion kit to a 420G BMW M3 gearbox.

Would anybody be able to offer any advice? Any assembly pictures or instructions would be a dream right now.

Got most of the way along with everything, propshaft sorted, gear linkage done also we've sorted the slave cylinder, so it disengages the clutch now.

Can someone explain what order things are supposed to be bolted together from the crank? e.g.

1) Crank > Spacer > Ring gear > flywheel

or

2) Crank > Spacer > Ring gear > Spacer\Washer > flywheel

or

3) Crank > Ring gear > Spacer\Washer > flywheel

or

4) Crank > Ring gear > flywheel

PMC have loosely suggested both spacer and washer should be removed, I’m concerned this could be lost in translation with the emails to PMC as their replies have been less than clear.

The current problem as I understand it is….. everything is bolted up with no spacer or washer as per what PMC suggested, the car turns over and runs no problem, when the clutch is pressed its making a noise like the ring gear is touching the main oil seal carrier maybe?

Edited by philw99 (see edit history)

When you take auto flex plate off standard 2jz, there are two spacers. You need to use the larger of the two. Also the flexplate needs to be inverted so it dosen't catch.

Crank > Big Spacer > Inverted Ring Gear > Flywheel

That's how I used to do it, but there have been new revisions of the kit since I've last put one on so perhaps the above is invalid now.

Phils ring gear is different to that one. But I get the idea. The ring gear has a chamfered edge on one side that obviously is to make it easier for the starter cog to slide in. So your saying that edge should be on the gearbox side (opposite way round to stock) which should allow the ring gear to miss the starter motor and not foul.

Accepting that sometimes the starter motor may not engage without a little noise.

on my first attempt i did know about the spacers... cost me a starter motor and a rear main seal housing( rubbed on ringgear, lasted about 50miles before oil pissed out the rear main seal :(

not ive got big spacer, ring gear and flywheel. didnt use the smaller spacer.

i do get rattle from the input shaft in nuetal, i belive this is common without a dual mass but im also conscious of the input shaft to pilot bearing adaptor... im wondering weather its deep enough in the pmc kit

I’m getting more and more tempted by this conversion myself. What’s the craic with the spacer if you’re already Manual and therefore don’t have the auto ring gear?

How does the box drive?

What power are you guys making?

/QUOTE]

i was w58 untill it blew lol the getag box is a bit notchy but not bad, i used a bmw short shifter but it was so short it was hard to select gears so i modded the lenght untill i got a good compromise(was way better than the bmw oem shifter i bought which had way to much travel imo)

power wise currently just shy of 440bhp /388ibft untill fit bigger injectors and crank the boost up, i plan to run 650 eventually with another turbo swap, more importantly 500-550ibft,

i just bought the ring gear and spacers, i had one within 3days of looking so not hard to come by, i suspect alot get thrown away.

on my first attempt i did know about the spacers... cost me a starter motor and a rear main seal housing( rubbed on ringgear, lasted about 50miles before oil pissed out the rear main seal :(

not ive got big spacer, ring gear and flywheel. didnt use the smaller spacer.

i do get rattle from the input shaft in nuetal, i belive this is common without a dual mass but im also conscious of the input shaft to pilot bearing adaptor... im wondering weather its deep enough in the pmc kit

Will get the sound of the resonance from the gearbox through the drivetrain without the dual mass flywheel on any Supra. The getrag gearboxes are quite noisy when you remove the stock dual mass setup. Its normal :)

I’m getting more and more tempted by this conversion myself. What’s the craic with the spacer if you’re already Manual and therefore don’t have the auto ring gear?

How does the box drive?

What power are you guys making?

/QUOTE]

Think you will still have a spacer in there but you will need to source yourself an auto ring gear as the PMC adapter does not have it built in. Some other kits like the extreme clutch adapter do but the price for the adapters and clutch is significantly more.

Box should be similar to the v160/161 toyota boxes perhaps smoother, but will tell you when my brothers car comes back.

Power wise Phils is currently a NA, which will change at a later date but mine I plan to put 800 ish HP through it. Seen other examples running 900+ and they cope just fine. its all a question of how long it lasts.

Its from the Supra. The auto setup has a 5mm ish spacer between the ring gear and the engine, You need this or the ring gear will fowl on the rear main oil seal.

Also the ring gear needs mounting in reverse, basically it has a chamfered edge on the teeth on one side, this needs to be away from the engine for it to clear correctly. You have to accept that occasionally when you start the car the starter motor may not engage correctly.

Its part 32116 on the attached diagram

MCG218A.png

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)

• 11 months later...

Does anyone on the forum know anyone in the North that could look at my curent gearbox setup in the Supra?

Ideally someone who's done a BMW 420g 6speed gearbox conversion before.

Could take it somewhere down south but not massivly excited about driving the supra all that way.

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

I just did this conversion with PMC kit and BMW gs6-53dz box. It really isn't straight fit...

I had to make my own gearbox mount and prop shaft. I also used this Short shifter.

Everything is bolted, but now the clutch doesn't disengage. I have spacer between crank and flex plate and longer pivot pin on clutch fork. How did you guys sort this out? I'm thinking extending the slave cylinder shaft for about 5mm? Or make spacer ring for between release bearing and clutch fork to space the release bearing forward towards the pressure plate?