The mkiv Supra Owners Club

“The legend returns” Toyota GB tweet tease of supra with BGW

Marcus GTE

https://twitter.com/toyotagb/status/963184692253151232

https://twitter.com/toyotamotorcorp/status/963184704739450880

THE LEGEND RETURNS--At 2018 Geneva Motor Show, a modern racing concept signals Toyota’s commitment to bring back to the market its most iconic sports car. Come and join Toyota’s Press Conference on March 6th at 9:45 in hall 4. #genevamotorshow #racing

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if theyre going to surprise us all by showing us a production ready road car along side a race variant. The development car/s are too far along for it to be just a concept now.
This makes sense from the silhouette as the uprights to the wing go down past the line of the boot.

Either way 6th of March can't come soon enough

I've been checking in to the forum every now and then for updates on the MkV.

Looks like its finally going to happen.

I'm interested in the final specs for the UK market.

Looks like there will possibly be 3 models to choose from,

1st option (hairdresser model) looks like its a 240bhp 4-pot 2L single-turbo at around £40k (silly price for a 4-cylinder engine) - auto box only.

2nd option looks like its a 335bhp 6-pot inline twin turbo at around £55k - auto first then manual box version later arriving.

3rd option -very sketchy at the moment (supposedly the flagship model - but doesn't make sense to me) - may be a Lexus 450bhp V6 hybrid at around £65k - auto only.

Can't find any info on the differential, but I am guessing it will be a silly electronic lock effort rather than a proper mechanical LSD. And likely open diff on the hairdresser version.

(sources : from various websites on google search)

If feel if anything, doesn’t matter how good or bad the new cars are received it will show exactly how on point they were with the MKIV

I sincerely hope that it sets new ground and doesn’t just “fit in”. Anyone remember the anticipated new NSX? I bet not! Still people would want the original..

Either way the MKIV will benefit from a good or bad car and should push residuals even stronger....

Looks like a bmw to me.

I don’t think the Mkiv will ever be overshadowed it will take something very special for me to alter my view maybe I am Mkiv biased!

It is unlikely that such a ridiculously over-engineered car will ever be produced again, especially one as brilliamt and good looking as the mk4 Supra :cool:

I keep saying. If it looks like the FT-1 and can be knocking out around 400Hp, I will get one. I think after what happened with the GT86 launch, they put up all these pretty pictures and then eventually put out something terribly average looking and under powered.

I have a feeling this will happen again and I for one will lose faith with Toyota's approach to retaining, dyed in the wool supporters. Let's face it, the replacement for the MKIV is probably about 5 -10 years overdue.

I really hope this is not the case and they follow through with the hopes that they have raised.

H.

From what we can tell, the information, revealing specs such as output, curb weight and vehicle dimensions, is legit. Power will come courtesy of 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six with 335 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque, plus 37 lb-ft of overboost. Power will be directed to the rear wheels through an eight-speed automatic gearbox. As we previously reported, a manual will not be an option, though it could be offered on the also upcoming new BMW Z4, the new Supra’s platform mate. With a wheelbase measuring 97.2 inches, a length of 172.4 inches, 73 inches in width, and a height of 50.8 inches, the new Supra is quite similar in size to its immediate predecessor. In fact, the new car is a bit smaller.

Length wise it’s shorter by 5.4 inches and the wheelbase is also 3.2 inches shorter. However, the new car is 0.6 inches taller and 1.7 inches wider than before. Weight wise, the leaked specs indicate a curb weight of 3,284 pounds. Its non-turbo predecessor tipped the scales at 3,329 pounds while the turbo Supra weighed a more hefty 3,461 pounds. Do the quick math and the new Supra is 177 pounds lighter than the last Supra turbo. Lastly, the new Supra will wear a set of 225/50R-17 rubber up front and 255/45R-17 at the rear. We’ll be on hand for the official Supra debut at Geneva in just a few weeks’ time, so stay tuned for more details and, hopefully, additional teaser images.

Not much power progress in 25 years, Clarkson wont like it.

In a motoring press interview the head man at Toyota said the most important thing was for the new car to appeal to existing Supra owners,time will tell.Also wonder if it will be badged GAZOO :blink:

That's make sense since Gazoo is the modern day TRD in a roundabout way.

Great marketing sticking a BGW on the pic, they definitely know who the fanboys are!

Looking forward to seeing it but I think it'll end up being pretty underwhelming compared to the FT-1 concept. Expecting a slightly pumped up GT86. Hope I can eat my words.

Engine wise I'm sure I read about a 2.0 entry level option followed by a 3.4 330bhp(ish).

Not long to go......