The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of looking for a supra. Few questions

D1andonlyantman

Hi everyone. Its all been a bit sudden, but I'm toying with the idea of trying to get a MK4. I've currently got an evo 9 which is awesome fun, but I've noticed that rust is setting in, and it needs more attention than I can give it really. Its booked in for a health check next weekend and will be sold shortly after. At 32 im not getting any younger, and as the only 2 real performance cars I've owned were both evos, i think it's time to move on. I've always liked supras (Who hasn't), and can't think of anything else I would want that I can afford tbh. An R34 gtr would be the stereotypical dream, but I'd have to double my budget for one of them, and the supra is a close 2nd anyway :-)

Anyway, I've got a few questions and figured you guys could probably answer them. Firstly, I think I'm going to have roughly 18k to spend. Is that enough to get me a nice one? I've had a quick look on ebay and piston heads, but a lot of them are a bit more than that, or are evil auto which isn't an option. I'd want the 6 speed tbh. Also what about importing? Is that a good way to go? After the rusty evo, importing and starting fresh doesn't sound bad. Next is insurance. I've got 2 yr NCB, 32 years young but a nice total loss 2 years ago. My evo insurance is 700 fully comp, 400bhp, all mods declared. Would going rwd screw me? And lastly, reliability? My friend has a supra and I've never known him to have any issues other than his throttle body going limp mode occasionally, but generally they're pretty solid as far as I know? I'm not skint but I'm not rich either, and want to spend my money on upgrades rather than repairs ;-)

Any advice appreciated, just putting the feelers out there to see if this is actually achievable.

Thanks

You can get a TT6 for £18k but it'll be a high miler by Supra standards or not in the best of shape and if you were looking at a fresh import from Japan you'd now be be North of £25k. If you want a clean tidy TT example then £18k would certainly get you a very nice auto, possible even a UK auto. Compared to an Evo a Supra needs less and less expensive servicing, a Supra is pretty much bullet proof as well if its been maintained through its life.

Have a read of the Crossy wanted thread in the classifieds. Most wanted threads go ignored but he must have gone about it the right way and had lots of help from members and finally landed a members car that was never advertised for sale. If you want a good car with documented history on the forum then there is no better way to go about it.

As above, TT6's are all heading north of 20k now, you could get one at your budget but its unlikely. Always check on here for cars for sale before resorting to eBay/pistonheads/gumtree etc.

Also 'evil auto', Supra's are GT cars, auto really suits the nature of the car, drive one and see what its all about

Look at a few if you can, they are generally solid rust wise but at close to 25 years old rust can be setting in. General rule is the fresher the import the better condition certainly underneath.

If you get a good one it'll be solid reliability wise but again 20+ years old it's bound to need something sooner or later, you are unfortunately a few years late really 2-3 years ago a tt6 could be had for £10K, your budget would have secure a really good car even just 12-18 months ago. Another issue is if something cheap but good does come up then they are gone in hours not days, which is tricky for a private buyer.

Coming from the Evo I get the manual thing and if that's 100% rigid you'll have to be like hawk on the classifieds. Main thing is supply is pretty much non existent, not alot for an owner to swap to even with £20K proceeds, and check out goonet and use a yen converter to see the high Japanese prices these days, hence far fewer direct imports coming in.

Saying all that I think it's achievable yes, look everywhere all the time, Ireland, ebay, pistonheads, here, autotrader, slim pickings everywhere but they are out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Didn't even know I got any as I didn't receive any emails telling me?? Everything has gone to plan, evo wise. Took deposit this week, deliver on Saturday, and I also sold my 2 motorbikes i don't use. Along with a little help from the bank, this has got me 21k to spend. I've toyed with the idea of R32 GTRs, 3000gt's, even a big spec evo or Scooby, but I'm back to supras. Pretty firm on the no auto though. I've got a friend who's planning on switching his tiptronic to manual. Seen one on eBay for 23k, blue 580bhp with NOS apparently. Sent the guy a message. Will see if he replies. As of next weekend I'm good to go though, so hopefully i won't be car-less for long

I wouldn’t touch that seller with a barge pole. Do a search of their name and read what comes up. We aren’t allowed to mention them as they have threatened the club with legal action. Make of that what you will.

Also, nothing wrong with the auto/tiptronic. They are faster than manuals :D

E2A

Don’t search their name as it keeps changing. Just search ”High Wycombe“ and see what comes up.

Also look here (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra) it needs a bit of an update as the cars are getting older but the basics are there. As the one you mentioned is a ‘93 I would want to know what maintenance has been done. Backed up with receipts to prove anything said.

This will also give you a good insight to the cars - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?59334-Supra-Guide-and-Model-Differences-Chart

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Links added. (see edit history)

Thanks for the links. I'm always cautious when buying a car, but even more so when it costs this much. Good to know specifically what to look out for though. Hopefully i find something soon enough. If you see or hear or anything, the feel free to let me know. I like to learn everything i can when I own a car, i actually mapped my evo with no previous experience, and it didnt go bang lol might not attempt that with a supra this expensive, but I look forward to learning what i can

White TT6 come up on eBay today, located South of Manchester, £18k classified. If you really want a TT6 you should overnight run up there before it goes as TT6's don't tend to hang around.

I saw that earlier. You think I should make a move on it? I wasn't sure tbh. Had a small bit of damage near the front light. Put me off a bit

I saw that earlier. You think I should make a move on it? I wasn't sure tbh. Had a small bit of damage near the front light. Put me off a bit

If its a good running car with the usual 'low mileage' benefits then its a good buy at £18k. You could even factor in £2k for stock body parts plus paint and then it'd be worth more like £25k if the mileage is genuine and the running/bodywork condition spot on. Another way to think of it is, you aren't going to get one in this claimed condition and with the claimed mileage any cheaper.

Indeed, it doesn't look much less of a car than the £27K one in gunmetal!! It's unfortunately the way they've gone in the last few years.

If you go to goo.net and price up any VVTi manual you can get from Japan you'll see the £18K is cheap (so certainly well worth a nosey)