The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£1560 for a couple hundred miles a year... How do you guys do it?

Karl M N

Insurance has always been something that puzzled me. I've received a quote for my supra from Sky (currently with Adrian Flux). It's £1560 after I told them I'll only be driving it around for 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a month, probably on a Saturday night so there will be no traffic in my area. I have had two accidents, both non fault. The elderly should honestly be re tested. Both times the other party took 100% of the responsibility. I live in the southeast in medway, so the area can't be that bad for insurance right? I know it's not going to be a fantastic area as half the drivers here probably shouldn't be on the road. This still seems like a crazy price for a car I'll hardly drive this year, it's even higher than my 330 which I drive every day.

It's also worth noting that I'm 24 with 5 years no claims on my supra. Not particularly old, but certainly not a new driver either.

Do some of you guys with the

Edit: Forgot to say. The reason I'm driving it so little is because it's not too healthy right now and keeping it locked away won't save me any money anyway. Planning a rebuild after getting a home.

Edited by Karl M N (see edit history)

£1.500 for a high powered car at 24 doesn't sound that bad. My daughter pays £650 for her Astra. Don't worry, if you are fortunate you'll get old and the premiums will stay the same (my premiums were the same in £'s 40 years ago that they are today) and when you get to be old you can put yourself through a voluntary retest because its the right thing to do.

By the time I'm 70 I doubt we'll be allowed to drive ourselves lol.

They didn't ask how powerful the car was, but I've come across younger drivers with more powerful cars that get to pay less. Someone I know came off of a drink drive ban on his 25th birthday, and ended up paying £500 to insure a ~230bhp car.

I agree that £1500 would be a fine quote, if I drove the car enough.

Edited by Karl M N (see edit history)

When I was 22 I think I paid £2500 lol now 13 years later I'm paying £425 which I don't mind.

My first year with the car I paid £2700 for 5000 miles. They counted it as my daily as it was my only car, even though I was close enough to walk to work. It didn't drop for the second year though, even though I dropped my mileage to 1500 a year.

24 with 2 previous accidents and 5yrs no claims protected? Accidents dont show up as non fault of not. Just accident. A part of the system which needs to change. Thats probably why its that price

I'd like to know exactly how they price the quotes up. In one instance I was waiting in traffic when a pensioner decided to drive down the wrong side of the road and hit my stationary car and nearly having a head on collision, so it's a shame they punish me for this. A couple of years ago this did make a large difference, but it doesn't seem to be changing my quotes by more than a couple hundred when running them through comparison sites. I tend to check both prices, with accidents not declared.

As others have said, I think that’s a fair quote, I was paying similar at your age on an NA

24 with 2 previous accidents and 5yrs no claims protected? Accidents dont show up as non fault of not. Just accident. A part of the system which needs to change. Thats probably why its that price

I’ve had a play on some websites with adding a non fault claim against having no claims at all (as I have a non fault claim) and it made no difference to the overall cost

Driving a Supra is not cheap and especially for some of us guys living in London regardless of it being on a classic or performance insurance. This is in addition to the annual car park charges of around 1500 and all the running costs.

I try not to think about it as last year the 3k miles cost me just over 4k. .

Makes me want to cry:taped:

Driving a Supra is not cheap and especially for some of us guys living in London regardless of it being on a classic or performance insurance. This is in addition to the annual car park charges of around 1500 and all the running costs.

I try not to think about it as last year the 3k miles cost me just over 4k. .

Makes me want to cry:taped:

Thats an absolute shocker :blink:

Yep they allow mods. Only game with classic insurance is they dont allow NCB to be used.

I currently have three cars and the thing they stress re the classic/no ncd car is that you must have another insurance policy in place for your daily car that's for general use.