The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Prettying' up my garage

ripped_fear

Evening all I'm looking for some ideas/help.

As some of you know Grace and I bought our first place last year, and I've finally made enough of a dent in the work in the house, that I want to move on to the garage and get some of the basics done before I tackle the work areas inside.

So the garage in question is a sectional concrete double garage with wooden concertina doors and windows.

Now the garage is in a bit of a sorry state, but I'm fairly handy and always happy to give any job a go. I'm about to tackle making some new windows as the current ones a cracked and rotten, and thinking about moving to a electric roller door for the front, but I may re-make them in wood if not.

HOWEVER the concrete of the external walls isn't the most pleasing to the eye and I would like to improve the look of it. I've been reading up on a few options, and these seem limited as you obviously cant drill into the walls, so far I have the following options-

-Paint (heard this is a horrible job and will require re-doing very regularly) Not keen on this, looking for low maintenance.

-Bond/stick some panelling onto it, (Any ideas on anything nice that could be used?)

-Plant climbing plants around it to cover it (again not keen on this as I'm really not into gardening)

-Skim the walls, (this sounds like a big job and I'm dubious of the extra weight on the walls)

Now I need to keep this on a tight budget as Id rather spend on the house itself but the rear wall of the garage is against a boundary wall so not in view, and the doors take up the whole front so its only the side walls so shouldn't require a huge amount of materials.

Basically I'm looking for any other DIY options I may not have thought about, or any decent panelling options and adhesives that could be used.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jake

Sorry I misunderstood!

A quick fix is masonry paint.

Yeah paints an option but ive heard its a sod of a job and needs re-doing fairly often

How come you can't drill the walls?

Apparently its deemed dangerous on sectional concrete garages according to various websites. Mainly due to them not being thick enough.

Apparently its deemed dangerous on sectional concrete garages according to various websites. Mainly due to them not being thick enough.

I see, I think I know the type of walls you mean now. was thinking of drilling, then timber framing the outer of the garage and timber cladding it. You could potentially Bond light weight cladding (timber or composite) onto the outside of the garage, though I'd imagine the preparation of the outdoor the walls to ensure they are totally clean and dust free would be nightmare.

Got any pics of the garage, may help people come up with more suggestions.

I see, I think I know the type of walls you mean now. was thinking of drilling, then timber framing the outer of the garage and timber cladding it. You could potentially Bond light weight cladding (timber or composite) onto the outside of the garage, though I'd imagine the preparation of the outdoor the walls to ensure they are totally clean and dust free would be nightmare.

Got any pics of the garage, may help people come up with more suggestions.

Yeah that would be the ideal thing but alas most places seem to say to avoid it. And yeah tha is my fear regarding bonding it.

I dont have any pictures on my phone I may have some on the computer will update if i find one. if not will add one tomorrow

I always wished I'd painted the floor of my garage but on a new build there was so much more to be getting on with getting the first floor ready for occupation and the outside walls painted. You say that painting walls is a pain and that it needs regular attention but in a garage with block walling its a doddle if you have an air compressor and spray gun. You could emulsion spray paint it all in no time. Just have Grace follow you around with a brush to catch any runs as they develop. You don't need a silk sheen perfect after all, in a garage.

Truck bed liner is durable gear,

But masonry paint is the easiest wont take much covering and redoing with a big roller once a year

Yeah that's the cheap back up just not sure it will look as nice.
Knock it down and re-build to suit - timber frame with plastic weather boarding would be cheap enough and reasonably durable.
Considering the garage is perfectly funstionable and water tight I think that's a bit extreme. And doesn't really fit in with the low budget criteria. I just want to make it look nice.
I always wished I'd painted the floor of my garage but on a new build there was so much more to be getting on with getting the first floor ready for occupation and the outside walls painted. You say that painting walls is a pain and that it needs regular attention but in a garage with block walling its a doddle if you have an air compressor and spray gun. You could emulsion spray paint it all in no time. Just have Grace follow you around with a brush to catch any runs as they develop. You don't need a silk sheen perfect after all, in a garage.
Mate I'm talking about the exterior ;)

Maybe something like DURISOL blocks and pour cement in the void -cost saving is only in the DIY aspect and still be around 50 quid a square meter plus skim cost ,and paint ,warmer garage though and done in a day and half -

Thats a nice idea for future potentially but building an additional wall is a bit past what I want to do currently

I just painted the walls white and got some floor paint to freshen it up in mine. I put some better lighting in there, padded the walls and put some shelves in

Job done lol

Though I might be moving house again but will be looking for a double garage this time hopefully

I just painted the walls white and got some floor paint to freshen it up in mine. I put some better lighting in there, padded the walls and put some shelves in

Job done lol

Though I might be moving house again but will be looking for a double garage this time hopefully

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/e7e530449249c9371a943f0952f2493d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/1f4291087d0a6707f7e879e66923ebc3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/4ebe8c47de23c9ceae4fe3ecaeaf6157.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/e354987ba19a0aa975d2d916d21ed587.jpg

Nice :thumbs: love seeing what everyone has or is planning with their garage! Seem to remember there being a garage thread sometime ago!

Nice :thumbs: love seeing what everyone has or is planning with their garage! Seem to remember there being a garage thread sometime ago!

Thanks mate, yea just simple little things makes a lot of defences. Yea I remember seeing that thread, some of us here have some great garages