The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for information

Kckazdude

I am hunting information regarding the 30-40LS version of the A340E transmission. Being in the US there is scarce information available. I have found links that direct me to this forum but I get a message informing me that I don't have permission to view this page. Best I can tell, I need to pay to access a section. Where/how do I do this at?

Yea you have to pay 10.00GPB to get the full benifits of this forum and worth it. I imported all my repair manuals from the US, will differ slightly to my JDM model but its better than having the manual in Japanese :D

you may want to get one of these, i did

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Toyota-A340E-A340F-Automatic-Transmission-Repair-Manual-OEM/192305051765?hash=item2cc6463875:g:z88AAOSwL4BZuF8o&vxp=mtr

Thank you. I own factory service books since I worked at Toyota as a technician back then. Actually still have a lot of training and shop manuals from my time there. As well as an old break-out box and PC assisted oscilloscope. This transmission is exclusive to JDM. That is why I am having to search for very specific information outside of my US sources.

Sorry to say that was a waste for me. Although David P has gathered a lot of info and put it one place. It is nothing diligent searching on Google hasn't already yielded. On top of that, he is just re-posting what has been known for years without really understanding the fluid dynamics of what is going on. There is more than just shimming the accumulators. I do commend him for helping the community as he has done.

Specifically, valve body separator plate gaskets. Toyota Japan has 3 different valve bodies and 3 different separator plate part numbers. I am trying to find a hydraulic flow diagram to determine which valve body and plate combination I have so I can attempt to order the correct gaskets for it.

Specifically, valve body separator plate gaskets. Toyota Japan has 3 different valve bodies and 3 different separator plate part numbers. I am trying to find a hydraulic flow diagram to determine which valve body and plate combination I have so I can attempt to order the correct gaskets for it.

I do have the A340E GE and GTE Hydraulics route diagrams manual, ironically, I imported this from the USA.

However, this will not inform you what gaskets you require.

Just look at the model number on the Aisin AW plate on your box and then Toyo DIY will provide you with the part numbers you need.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Just look at the model number on the Aisin AW plate on your box and then Toyo DIY will provide you with the part numbers you require.

Thank you. That is where I found the 3 different part numbers from. Also, I have access to the US spec hydraulic flow charts from the Supra, Tundra, Jeep and Volvo. This valve body that I have (2JZ-GTE VVTi from an Aristo) is not covered in any US spec manual. So far, all the information I have gathered leads me to believe I will have to order the separator plate in order to get the gaskets. Thing has become a frustrating PITA!

That is what I keep coming up against. That is also why I stated it was a waste for me. The amount of information you have accumulated for everyone here is great, just had already found all of that some time ago. Apparently this transmission was never meant to be torn down as far as I have it.

From all of my research, the hard parts internally are the same except for input and output shafts. These vary in differing degrees depending on application and don't interchange well with each other. When I gathered parts for this build I was informed I was ordering a kit of VB gaskets that covered ALL A34XX variants. I received an email today from the company advising that they do not offer VB gaskets for the 30-40LS variant of the A340E. There is some sort of patent/copyright that prevents them from designing one and Toyota insists that I need a VIN/chassis # to get the correct separator plate which I do not have as I purchased a motor set to transplant into my 1990 MKIII Supra. As of right now I have a valve body that is disassembled that I am now unsure if I will be able to confidently reassemble properly. Will tear the rest of the box down to replace clutches and seals after we come out from under this deep freeze we are currently having.

From all of my research, the hard parts internally are the same except for input and output shafts. These vary in differing degrees depending on application and don't interchange well with each other. When I gathered parts for this build I was informed I was ordering a kit of VB gaskets that covered ALL A34XX variants. I received an email today from the company advising that they do not offer VB gaskets for the 30-40LS variant of the A340E. There is some sort of patent/copyright that prevents them from designing one and Toyota insists that I need a VIN/chassis # to get the correct separator plate which I do not have as I purchased a motor set to transplant into my 1990 MKIII Supra. As of right now I have a valve body that is disassembled that I am now unsure if I will be able to confidently reassemble properly. Will tear the rest of the box down to replace clutches and seals after we come out from under this deep freeze we are currently having.

That's useful information right there. :)

With reference to the input shaft, does it have the same "torque-converter fit" as A340E & A343E GTE?

With reference to valve-body gaskets, it looks like you have 2 options.

1. Buy an OE pair of each from Mr T and see which ones match the gaskets it has now?

2. Ask an Aristo owner of same year of manufacture for his chassis number and be lucky?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I don't have any relevant information on VVT-i Tiptronic boxes and don't know of anyone who has.

Edited for pedantic Frank. :shrug:

You misunderstood, I have the Japanese destruction manual for the vvt-i tiptronic box not sure if there is any relevant info contained inside. I thought I told you I had managed to pick one up...

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Grammar. (see edit history)

There are 3 possibilities for separator plates.

35406-14010

35406-30230

35406-30250

The only 2 ways to ID them is with VIN/Chassis #, which I do not have, or knowing exactly which VB I have. Toyota does not maintain a data base showing the detail of the plates. My last option is to identify the flow control of the VB before I end up having to source all 3 to find mine.