The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Nurburgring crash footage

adam1983

First person on the scene

The first safety rule is don't stop unless you need to. The less chaos at the scene, the lower the chances of a follow-on crash. There are only two reasons to stop: to warn following traffic when a crash-scene isn't visible on approach, or to administer first-aid when someone is in urgent need.

If you need to stop, please do so with great care. Make sure you are past the accident and on the grass - never stop on the track itself unless totally unavoidable.

The first person to arrive should warn other traffic. Walk carefully back down the grass, making sure you are well clear of the track in case you cause another accident as people swerve to avoid you. Once in position, get behind the armco. Wave to traffic to slow it down (carrying a yellow flag or jacket is a good idea). Make sure you are well back from the accident, however: waving too vigorously too close to the crash could make matters worse by distracting drivers just when they need to be looking ahead.

Second person

The second person should call for help. The phone number of the office at the Start / Finish point is +49 2691 302215. (You'll need a mobile - the trackside huts are locked during public sessions.)

Most of the marshals speak little or no English, so some useful German phrases follow. All spelt as they sound, not as they are written:

Accident = Unfarl

Ambulance = Krankenvargen

Seriously hurt = Schver verletzt

Helicopter will be understood in English

Not hurt = Nicked verletzt

More German phrases can be found here

Third person

The third person to arrive goes to the aid of the casualty IF you can do so safely. If in doubt, get behind the armco and wait until the safety car arrives. Please don't risk being hit yourself.

Emergency numbers

Nurburgring office +49 2691 302215 The first place to report accidents

Emergency services 112 The track office will usually call

The above are the basic rules regarding incidents......... Although, do not run along the track!! run along after you've jumped the armco.

So many people stop before the incident! whilst its galant of people to stop, you should only do so if necessary and in the safest possible way..........

Yep this happened the day I left to come home.

By all accounts one of the Porsches had a coolant leak and that's what caused the crash.

It had been a great weekend up until that point and the 911's had been putting in some amazing laps from Friday all through the weekend.

Such a shame for all involved.

looks like the guy filming/who stopped caused the pile up himself by stopping cars in the path of oncoming cars, surely most of the cars in this crash could have slowed and got through ok?

Looked to me more like most cars slammed the anchors on, unbalancing the car and then ran out of talent to be able to control it.

The cause of the first crash was due to a fluid spill on the track caused by a Porsche GT3RS. It looks like it was at a high speed corner so would all those drivers coming up on it at pace have realistically been able to have avoided the first car and the fluid spill without someone trying to wave at them?

When I've been there it's common practice to slow and use your hazards when approaching an accident to alert those behind, but that all seemed to have happened so quickly and at a fast corner so I don't really know what else would have prevented that other than someone trying to run and try to attract people's attentions first.

When it's a touristenfahrten the normal rules of the road apply on the Nordschleife so you should be able to see far enough ahead to be able to stop should you come across something like that. Of course realistically that doesn't usually happen when people are there trying to get quick laps in.

I def feel for everyone involved. A fluid spill would be my worst nightmare on a touristenfahrten, especially if it came from my own car.