The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MKIV, Budget of 25K, Manual or Auto TT

Crossy

By the sounds of it, I'd imagine it has been garaged on and off, used a reasonable amount weekly. Not entirely sure on the rest; it just isn't for me so I haven't asked more about it since being put off the viewing.

Still going to continue my search and patience looking for one via forum etc

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13k is strong money 10-11k is more what I think as it will need work has it been garaged all its time in the UK any major parts renewed etc?

It's difficult to know what is/isn't good value vs strong money.

Looking at others out there it looks like you could do a lot worse for £13K right now, but barely anything nice out there at the moment? I think this one looks nice, a long term elderly owner, not messed with much etc it's probably a good solid car, is it worth £13K? not sure but then is a RSP NA aerotop (see autotrader) worth it!? Seemingly people are just asking what the want right now, everyone seemingly taking a punt on a high asking price.

Had an email today from Andy, there is a couple of people interested in his Supra; the following is a link to a few more pics and videos of the vehicle.

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/3QSU5YZy2C/Y3Jvc3N5XzE1QGhvdG1haWwuY29t

It looks clean from the outside, interior and sills etc. No rust visible, although to me the engine just doesn't sound right. Bare in mind I don't own a Supra yet so you guys will have more of an idea than I will on what you're hearing.

As I've previously stated I'm not really interested in this one, I'm hoping to view another one as soon as my free weekends line up with theirs :)

Had an email today from Andy, there is a couple of people interested in his Supra; the following is a link to a few more pics and videos of the vehicle.

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/3QSU5YZy2C/Y3Jvc3N5XzE1QGhvdG1haWwuY29t

It looks clean from the outside, interior and sills etc. No rust visible, although to me the engine just doesn't sound right. Bare in mind I don't own a Supra yet so you guys will have more of an idea than I will on what you're hearing.

As I've previously stated I'm not really interested in this one, I'm hoping to view another one as soon as my free weekends line up with theirs :)

Engine does sound a little agricultural compared to others I have heard. Auction ends in 5hrs and set to sell so it'll be interesting to see if it gets relisted again as its looking like it'll struggle to get much beyond £11k which is probably about right.

It all looks shiny on top but every seller says rust free underneath until you properly get underneath and his videos don't go any where near the actual sills and chassis condition etc.

It does sound weird could be the exhaust blowing or is the blue pickup at the side running? When my car is running (standard exhaust too) it can be barely heard in fact its so quiet I forgot I had left it running once!

As I previously said its probably not been garaged and lived outside or pampered as much as he states just simply painted up by has mate!

He seems to be pressurising you if I was selling and another offer of the same amount was offered and was happy at the amount I would be selling it to the person who ever had the money ready.

Either way, I've already stated where I stand on the vehicle with him as it's just not for me, it was more to state to others here who may be looking that the car is still up for sale, and here is a bit more of an insight into it for anyone looking :)

It does sound belt related doesn't it, glad to see all of your input had backed up my stance on the car!

Cheers guys, hope you're all settling in well for a good Christmas!

Mot tester has stated 'slight' corrosion on the inner rear sills, which is probably a good sign as no other slight areas have been noted and none of more than slight?

Still looks like a pretty good car, I'd want to know the source of the oil leak also mentioned on the mot. The thing is what is the bottom price for a TT auto these days, how much is this above that?

btw Crossy I don't blame you for waiting got to be sure of your buy.....shame there is so little out there to chose from!

Good luck with your hunt Sam.

Like you, I came from having a few GT-4s and MR2 turbos (along with many other 'interesting cars' on the way).

I had been wanting a Supra for about 20 years and finally got one imported 6 months ago. They really are very special cars and draw a lot of positive looks and comments.

Hope you find a good one, its worth the wait to get something you know is decent.

I had a few 'issues' with mine after it arrived but all was resolved fairly quickly and its running smooth and sweet now.

Great cars, with a great following.

If I were to sell mine (and its an auto) I would be looking for around £16k for it. Strong money yes, but its a great low mileage car and priced so I keep it :-)

Buy one soon if you can, as the general consensus is prices will keep going one way. Up.

Right now there is a (TT at least) supply drought, Muckymans type of car would probably be £16K imported bit more or less depending on miles and condition, very few nice ones coming up domestically, some traders just buying them and putting up speculative prices, going to take a major economic event really where all cars are hit to see a big (if any) drop now.

I can recall the good old days of not so very long ago when between Autotrader, PH and eBay there were 150 Supras on sale at any one time. Plenty of choice that just isn't there today. That must mean one thing only, that people are putting the cars into store as the overall numbers in the country hasn't fallen with breakers replenished by fresh imports. Its common to have 10% of cars available for sale at any one time, with Supras its dropped to more like 1% which isn't a ratio that is going to work in the favour of someone seeking a pick and choose. With £25k available I'd be running a parallel import strategy alongside if one happened to turn up 'locally' all to the good.

Just been speaking with Michael (Muckyman) about his recent importing experience, pricing and how well he would recommend JM-Imports (he gave them a glowing reference which helps).

I may actually go back to looking to import, with perhaps looking towards a very very clean Auto rather than stretching my 25K budget to a good manual.

Really appreciate all of the input so far, my experience of this forum so far is that you are second to none!

Just been speaking with Michael (Muckyman) about his recent importing experience, pricing and how well he would recommend JM-Imports (he gave them a glowing reference which helps).

Jurgens pricing seemed fair to me when I got mine, but I guess its all dependent on the prices of whats available in Japan at any given time. I did have my issues with the car, and some of these were things that couldn't have been known about but others were down to rushed/poor preparation before collection. I was fairly annoyed at the time, but all got sorted to my satisfaction and Jurgen was a man of his word.

Keep us updated Sam.

I'm potentially looking at a Supra, it's very clean and appears to have been very well looked after; but it's developed an AC fault, all he's aware of is it just won't run. If I was to view and like this car enough to buy it, how much in a worst case scenario could I be looking at to rectify the AC? I'm aware I could just dismantle the AC system but I'd prefer to fix it.

Cheers, Sam

I had a piece go (name escape me, pressure valve?) and it was a bit of a fiddle to get at behind the glove box (no passenger airbag). Compressors are available second hand if it's that. Condensers I think are discontinued but there must be an alternative?

It won't run when low on pressure and so if you pressure it up it probably will and then it will either carry on working or more likely the pressure will drop due to a leak.

You are in the era/age where if generally it all checks out otherwise I'd buy it, you have 6 months or more to get the aircon sorted.

I would thoroughly check the heater as it's good to do (matrix is a big labour job) but also you'll need it running at its best as the aircon helps with the demisting.

Thanks for the insight.

The person who's car it is, is on the forums, they seem very genuine, good to speak with and they've told me about the problem in advance, so if all else checks out I would have no problem going for it, if they're still happy to let it go of course.

I'll check into the heater matrix also, as I'm sure I've read elsewhere that they're an expensive and pain of a job

I'll check into the heater matrix also, as I'm sure I've read elsewhere that they're an expensive and pain of a job

It’s a pain of a job as the whole dash has to come out, the OE Matrix is no longer made and the only one available to replace it isn’t great. Until CW decides to get his into production it is all you are left with unfortunately.

I suppose essentially I could source a 2nd hand one if needed as well. What sort of labour costs am I looking at messing with things like this? Not after anything exact, just ballpark figures from those with experience so I know the best and worst case scenarios etc

I would point out in case it's blurred slightly that the condition of the aircon system is not linked to the heater matrix. Ie the heater matrix is probably fine and is IMO it's state is closely related to good coolant servicing (ie good coolant servicing means not rust in the system which means no clogging/corrosion of the matrix).

I don't know the labour cost of the matrix, but I think Jezz used to do it for £500 but I think that would be the absolute mates rates minimum. So info below, it's very labour intensive.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?226273-Heater-matrix&highlight=matrix

Aircon will need a diagnosis before being able to say really.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.